Question of revealing oneself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wanted some input regarding who you would share this site with.

My son has come back home...he is 34 ears old and was in a bad way when he came back.

He was taking drugs but not drinking now he is off the drugs and drinking.......alot.

This morning he shared that he really wants to stop but is lonely and lost. I so want to help him but he doesn't want to do AA.

Should I tell him about this site? It would mean I would need to delete some posts where I have vented about him.

He is such a lovely, gentle soul when not drinking or drugging.

I just want him to get his life back but am worried he would use this site against me should he go back to his old ways.

Would love some advise on this.

Take Care

Shas
    Shas
    Just keep on swmming, just keep on swimming!

That is an interesting question. Well you could. Yes you can delete specific posts. The only fly in the ointment is the fact that you are going to feel guarded posting. Is that inconvenience going to inhibit your ability to be open here. Is that going to limit you in your recovery? If the answer is no, then I say go for it.
    Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Just a thought - but how would he know who you were on this site? Unless you tell him - or you could totally delete yourself and start over under a new name?
      How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Delete the posts and change your name. By the sound of things he needs us pretty badly. You know this, and you are his mother. Because of that you must get him on here as soon as you can
        Be bold, there is room in this little world for all of us.

Comment

The next and most important thing is this: ' How do you get him to come here?'
          It must be carefully done, the tactic must be just right...it is the 'make or break' decision.
          Any ideas? (I have some, of course, but don't know the people involved or how they might react.)

Comment

I think you have to be careful that nothing jeapordizes your own recovery first and foremost. If you have any doubts about him being on here then work them out first before doing anything. You can only be responsible for your recovery, if he is 34 he will have to be responsible for is. If this site works for both of you and doesn't make you uncomfortable in the least then go for it, otherwise you need to keep your special place yours. It's not being selfish, it's taking care of the most important person in your life, you.
            AF since April 19, 2010
            NF since Nov 10, 2000

"One reason I don't drink is I want to know when I'm having a good time."
            -Lady Nancy Astor

Comment

Your situation is so delicate~

Your question is about revealing yourself to him?
              Reveal your love and support with inspiration. It is all around you.
              Possibly weighing the pro's and con's to bringing your loved one into awarness about MWO can be handled with care. So understandable, as these dear ones have mentioned that a protection is needed for your own well being.

I feel thoughtful that your compassion for your loved one is quite a weight already.
              The element of trust is a factor, that your son be able to explore and express with complete abandon. As well as you.

So hopefull for you and yours~
              :notes:Theme2be

" Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them~everyday begin the task anew".-Saint Francis de Sales

Comment

I think that Daybyday is right, your own recovery is paramount.
                And should be looked after first.
                If you are struggling, then you are less likely to be able to help your boy.
                There are many other support support sites around, maybe introduce him to one of those?
                The beauty of this site is being able to be totally open I think
                All the best Shas, its a huge dilemma I know....
                Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

How about suggesting a different forum?

I like the forum at Sober Recovery SoberRecovery: Drug Rehab | Drug Addiction Treatment Center | Alcoholism | Addiction Mental Health | Directory Substance Abuse Detox Programs which also has a drugs section and there are also more men there. There's also SMART recovery which I know some people here have had success with. There must be others too.

Then he could be open with people there without thinking his mum was looking over his shoulder, and you could stay here without thinking he was looking over yours.
                  sigpic
                  AF since December 22nd 2008
                  Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Some good advice there guys, I agree, look after your own sobriety first. Thus a different site may be helpful. Good on you for posting a link Marshy.
                    Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Shas, this is your private place and has been for a long time. You found it on your own. Let's hope your boy finds his private place and if MWO is it, then so be it.

Take care, matey.

Comment

thats a difficult one. there is also the problem that if he knows you come on here he will also be guarded in what he posts. there really is no point if we cant be totally honest and open and i think that you both would not be able to talk as freely as you would like if you knew the other may be reading
                        Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
                        Keep passing the open windows

Comment

Only you can decide where the boundaries are and how transparent you're willing to be with your son. If he's still drinking or using then a certain degree of detachment on your part has to be in place for not only his well being but your own. You'll probably already have the answer in you but the loud voices are drowning it out. I know in the past I've needed re-affirmation from others to allow that answer to surface above the louder voices.

Many Blessings
                          Phil
                          "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                          Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Working...
                          X