The Past Two Days PLEASE READ!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have found the recent post controversies lately disconcerting. It somewhat disturbs me that well intentioned feedback is viewed as a personal affront. More disturbing is that members of this community are walking away from MWO. I find that sad. It begs the question, why are we here? To get support and feedback, and share our experiences? I do NOT condone rewarding bad behavior. I wonder however, if something gets lost in our communication and understanding. Although we do have a forum ettiquette guidline at MWO, I think a deeper dive into this may be appropriate, If this puts a stop to the rash of flaming and mud-slinging. it's well worth it.

When you type messages on MWO threads, keep in mind how your words are going to sound on the receiving end. Are your comments going to be considered catty or mean? Would you like someone to send the same message to you? If you are genuinely trying to help someone with your opinion on a message board, state exactly that. There's no need for name calling or generalizations, unless you are specifically looking for conflict on message boards. Most members of MWO forums are a tight knit group, and do not take kindly to someone that comes across as bashing one of their own.

Misunderstandings are bound to happen. If something you have written on a thread offends somebody then consider apologizing. There's no need to further fuel the conflict by pointing fingers, being defensive, or name calling. A simple "I'm sorry you feel that way, I meant no offense" goes a long way toward settling conflict on forums. Mud-slinging, name calling, and trying to divude a forum only makes the poster look petty and childish.

If someone has posted something negative in your direction, don't reply immediately, lest your anger get in your way and further the conflict on the message board. Take a step back, and think it through before replying. Could you be misunderstanding what they are trying to say? If it's obvious you are being bashed, ignore that user or post. It will do you no good to further the conflict just to prove that you are the innocent one.

If someone will not let it drop and continues to harass and bash you (or someone else) on your thread, contact the administrators of the MWO forums. There should be no reason you should have to put up with someone calling you foul names on your thread or otherwise "flaming" people. Most people on forums become very close knit and definitely do not appreciate that type of conflict. If you feel a resolution cannot be reached and you must leave your forum, at least offer your two cents on the subject before leaving.

I hope this helps add some clarity, and empathy. Please excuse any typos as I'm using my frickin blackberry...techie

"I must do something" always solves more problems than "Something must be done." ~Author Unknown
    Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

techie;910123 wrote: I have found the recent post controversies lately disconcerting. It somewhat disturbs me that well intentioned feedback is viewed as a personal affront. More disturbing is that members of this community are walking away from MWO. I find that sad. It begs the question, why are we here? To get support and feedback, and share our experiences? I do NOT condone rewarding bad behavior. I wonder however, if something gets lost in our communication and understanding. Although we do have a forum ettiquette guidline at MWO, I think a deeper dive into this may be appropriate, If this puts a stop to the rash of flaming and mud-slinging. it's well worth it.

When you type messages on MWO threads, keep in mind how your words are going to sound on the receiving end. Are your comments going to be considered catty or mean? Would you like someone to send the same message to you? If you are genuinely trying to help someone with your opinion on a message board, state exactly that. There's no need for name calling or generalizations, unless you are specifically looking for conflict on message boards. Most members of MWO forums are a tight knit group, and do not take kindly to someone that comes across as bashing one of their own.

Misunderstandings are bound to happen. If something you have written on a thread offends somebody then consider apologizing. There's no need to further fuel the conflict by pointing fingers, being defensive, or name calling. A simple "I'm sorry you feel that way, I meant no offense" goes a long way toward settling conflict on forums. Mud-slinging, name calling, and trying to divude a forum only makes the poster look petty and childish.

If someone has posted something negative in your direction, don't reply immediately, lest your anger get in your way and further the conflict on the message board. Take a step back, and think it through before replying. Could you be misunderstanding what they are trying to say? If it's obvious you are being bashed, ignore that user or post. It will do you no good to further the conflict just to prove that you are the innocent one.

If someone will not let it drop and continues to harass and bash you (or someone else) on your thread, contact the administrators of the MWO forums. There should be no reason you should have to put up with someone calling you foul names on your thread or otherwise "flaming" people. Most people on forums become very close knit and definitely do not appreciate that type of conflict. If you feel a resolution cannot be reached and you must leave your forum, at least offer your two cents on the subject before leaving.

If you disagree with me please reply using comic sans MS in bold red!

I hope this helps some clarity, and empathy. Please excuse any typos as I'm using my frickin blackberry...techie

"I must do something" always solves more problems than "Something must be done." ~Author Unknown
    That sounds good to me,Thanks techie .

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Agreed. Let's not forget the reason we're here.
      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Thank you Techie. xxx Great post.
        "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
        NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Agreed! Thank you Techie!
          While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
          Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Agreed, Techie,
            It could be worse, I could be filing.
            AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Nice one Techie
              Very impressed you typed it all on your BB too
              Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
              Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Agreed, Techie
                I'll do whatever it takes
                AF 21/08/2009

Comment

startingover;910155 wrote:
                  :H:H:H:H:H

Sorry - couldn't help it
                  I'll do whatever it takes
                  AF 21/08/2009

Comment

tiptronic_ct;910157 wrote: :H:H:H:H:H

Sorry - couldn't help it
                    This is more like it!
                    While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
                    Benjamin Franklin

Comment

not tonight;910160 wrote: This is more like it!
                      I have an external foldable keyboard guys. It's a PITA but effective!
                      Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Amen Techie...... peace always begins with a smile
                        "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                        AF - JAN 1st 2010
                        NF - May 1996

Comment

well said techie...I agree
                          I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                          Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

I have to agree with you.
                            Careful wording is important so as not to offend. I personally always preview my posts to make sure that I have clearly stated what I mean to say. That way, I have a minute to consider what I've written and the chance to make it sound the way I want it to.
                            For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
                            AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

startingover;910155 wrote:
                              and I never felt a thing :exclaimation::exclaimation:

Thanks Techie, I have been here almost since dinosaur time and it happens from time to time ............ please don't let it affect anyones sobriety is all that I can add ..........

BB xx
                              sigpicXXX

Comment

Working...
                              X