?'s about Topa HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

?'s about Topa HELP!

I have a meeting with my psychiatrist on Wed.
    I'm wondering where I can download the Lacent study?
    And, if he is unfamiliar with prescribing the drug,I need to know how many mg to prescribe, how often to take them, etc. Anyone who has been prescribed Topa through their doc -- I'd love to hear how you handled these questions and more.
    Thanks,
    Andy

?'s about Topa HELP!

I was hugely apprehensive about talking to my dr. I had the Lancet study printed, and I also had my downloaded book with me, which included the dosage schedule. This was really helpful to him in knowing how much to prescribe. He was really great. I reminded him that he had told me the year before that if I couldn't stop at two glasses of wine, I should stop drinking. That way, I could give him the credit for "waking me up," although that really wasn't the case. The Lancet study should be in one of the forums. Hold on. I'll check.

Comment

?'s about Topa HELP!

Check at the top of the screen under "research." You can load yourself up on everything.

Comment

?'s about Topa HELP!

Thanks. I need to find that book, too.

Comment

?'s about Topa HELP!

Hi,
          go to
          http://prism.yale.edu/Templates/TG%2...20Lecture2.pdf
          You can print the lancet study there. More info is to be found at Roberta Jewels blog.
          Good Luck!

Comment

?'s about Topa HELP!

Thanks! I hope my psychiatrist goes for this, because campral isn't working.

Comment

?'s about Topa HELP!

My appt. with my psyciatrist is in two hours. Hoping he'll switch me from campral to topamax. Nervous, excited, I've got all the materials printed out. Really nervous about the side effects of topa, but I've never had side effects with any of the anti-depressants or other drugs I've been on. Wish me luck!

Comment

?'s about Topa HELP!

Andy, I WISH YOU LUCK! You will probably get it. Dont take no for an answer and tell him your gonna do it no matter what so does he wanna be able to watch you and be the safest under his care or not.

(Man I love it when I sound bossy...you should see me I am the biggest nice person I know)
                Gabby :flower:

Comment

?'s about Topa HELP!

Doc said "no way," to topa because you are not suppose to drink on it. So it looks like I will stay with the Campral and start one-on-one therapy, which I haven't done yet. He said it would help. Oh well, Doc's orders and I am not going to challenege him. He doesn't think my problem is big enough to resort to such drastic measures. I may still order some of the supps and see how that works with the campral.

Comment

?'s about Topa HELP!

Sorry about your doc. I haven't done the topa, just the supps and I can definately tell a difference. They really do curb the cravings.
                    Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Comment

?'s about Topa HELP!

dang

Comment

?'s about Topa HELP!

Some ideas

Hi, Andy.

I'm sorry to hear that, too. I hope the counseling is helpful. And you may find supplements, particularly kudzu, effective in reducing your craving. Relatively new scientific studies like this one indicate it can reduce your desire to drink.

But I would respectfully disagree with someone who tells you this problem is not big enough to warrant further treatment (or that what you are requesting is drastic). Alcoholism is a progressive disease. If Campral is not working for you and you are interested in taking a medication as part of a comprehensive approach, I would continue to investigate others, as you are doing--such as Topamax, (and yes, if you must, you can take it while winding down on your drinking. Maybe you should bring this article to your doctor in which Dr. Bankole Johnson, MD, PhD and research lead in that Lancet study, says as much. He also states "Topiramate also produced a robust effect on improving maintenance of abstinence and reduced alcohol use." )

Vivitrol, an injectable form of naltrexone, is another highly effective anti-craving medication. It is a once-monthly shot and appears to work well for those who have a family history of drinking.

Any of these meds work best with some sort of counseling and/or support; clearly no magic bullet will be found in a pill.

You sound very motivated. I hope you will work in partnership with your health care provider and not settle for anything less than an effective solution to this problem. You deserve it.

Best,

RJ
                        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Help keep our forum strong--make a contribution to My Way Out. Or show your support by becoming a Subscriber and enjoy enhanced features, as well!

Comment

?'s about Topa HELP!

that is a good artical RJ. Thanks!

Comment

?'s about Topa HELP!

Roberta Jewell wrote: Hi, Andy.

I'm sorry to hear that, too. I hope the counseling is helpful. And you may find supplements, particularly kudzu, effective in reducing your craving. Relatively new scientific studies like this one indicate it can reduce your desire to drink.

But I would respectfully disagree with someone who tells you this problem is not big enough to warrant further treatment (or that what you are requesting is drastic). Alcoholism is a progressive disease. If Campral is not working for you and you are interested in taking a medication as part of a comprehensive approach, I would continue to investigate others, as you are doing--such as Topamax, (and yes, if you must, you can take it while winding down on your drinking. Maybe you should bring this article to your doctor in which Dr. Bankole Johnson, MD, PhD and research lead in that Lancet study, says as much. He also states "Topiramate also produced a robust effect on improving maintenance of abstinence and reduced alcohol use." )

Vivitrol, an injectable form of naltrexone, is another highly effective anti-craving medication. It is a once-monthly shot and appears to work well for those who have a family history of drinking.

Any of these meds work best with some sort of counseling and/or support; clearly no magic bullet will be found in a pill.

You sound very motivated. I hope you will work in partnership with your health care provider and not settle for anything less than an effective solution to this problem. You deserve it.

Best,

RJ
                            Thanks for your response and encouragement. My biggest question: Why hasn't Topa been approved by the FDA specifically as a drug to fight alcoholism? I think my doc would be more inclined to prescribe it when and if it is approved.

Comment

?'s about Topa HELP!

Some docs are willing to perscribe medication for off label use and others are not. I bet its only a matter of time before its approved. I would try anther doc if you want to try for your benefit.

Comment

Working...
                              X