Knowledge Vs Wisdom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knowledge Vs Wisdom

Knowledge tells me a tomato is a fruit, wisdom tells me not to add it to a fruit salad.

So how does this relate to my drinking? Well, Knowledge alone is not going to get me sober or definitely not keep me sober for very long. I was someone who liked to get caught up intellectualising and debating issues relevant (or so I thought!) to my drinking. It's no good me reading inspirational material; whether that's through books, the internet or posts on a forum, if the knowledge I gain from those is not acted upon for me to gain the wisdom I need through my own experiences of them. We have to experience things for ourselves in order to grow in sobriety. At times those experiences have to come through our failures and our struggles with everyday life. Some of the most profound experiences I have had have not come through being in a place of neutrality or even ecstasy. The clarity has come through emotional pain and suffering. I've put action in with what I've learned and through that gained the wisdom to know a "tomato does not belong in a fruit salad" in my book!

I'm not saying this is the only and definitive way, because actually, some people may like tomatoes in a fruit salad (weirdos!!!). I jest, but the point is; through experiencing things for ourselves we become more accepting of what works for us and what doesn't. But it's down to us to make the changes through wisdom NOT through intellect and knowledge.

Have a beautiful week-end
    Many Blessings
    Phil
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Knowledge Vs Wisdom

Yet another good post Phil. Very valid point that I am sure many people dont even think about.
    Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Knowledge Vs Wisdom

Good stuff Phil,

It is only through surrender and acceptance that wisdom can be attained. I hope I am given the strength to reach it.

Bless you.
      "The greatest hazard of all, losing one?s self, can occur very quietly in the world, as if it were nothing at all. No other loss can occur so quietly; any other loss - an arm, a leg, five dollars, a wife, etc. - is sure to be noticed." Soren Kierkegaard.

AF since 13 June 2010.

Comment

Knowledge Vs Wisdom

this was one of Einsteins hobby horses too Hippie his quotes include THE ONLY SOURCE OF KNOWLEDGE IS EXPERIENCE and IMAGINATION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN KNOWLEDGE. KNOWLEDGE IS LIMITED WHILE IMAGINATION ENCIRCLES THE WORLD....

I was one of these dreadful teenagers who couldnt be told anything but Im actually very grateful for it otherwise I would never be where I am now without 1st having made all my own mistakes....
        "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
        AF - JAN 1st 2010
        NF - May 1996

Comment

Knowledge Vs Wisdom

"mixing intellect and ego is like nitroglycerin for the alcoholic!!"

Thanks for the reference point Chill. I heard the saying (and the one above) a few weeks ago and both really resonated with me. I used to think of myself intellectually superior to others just to make me feel good about myself. It was only because I felt so worthless inside in the first place that I had to make myself out to be better than others. Of course it didn't serve me well for very long. I can still occasionally fall into the trap of feeling this way but it's one of my many defects. I'm working on it! I ain't perfect!

Many Blessings
          Phil
          "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Knowledge Vs Wisdom

Good point there Phill, none of us are perfect and whatever our path we are all a work in progress. I know for me attaining sobrity was just the first step, subsequent steps have been and still are looking at my behaviour patterns which I have built up over many years of distructive driniking . In some respect getting sober has been the easy part learning to like and live with myself without the anethia of al is definatly a work in progress !

Comment

Knowledge Vs Wisdom

last week me & my partner were in a bar/restaurant, and we were observing a few locals coming in & having drinks, my partner turned to me & said its a pity you weren't like that when you were drinking,able to leave after 1or 2, and i said yes its a pity i wasn't like that but then i wouldn't be the person i am today.:-)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
              I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Knowledge Vs Wisdom

Hi BH - I know im going off on a tangent here but your post just struck a chord when you said "sobriety was just the 1st step", so many of us recovering from addictions seem to look deeply into our short comings and work on improving everything about our lives way beyond the initial problem. Does this mean that normal drinkers dont get to this stage as readily as us?
                I often contemplate this and actually use it as one of the reasons Im grateful to have suffered from addiction in the 1st place....
                "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                AF - JAN 1st 2010
                NF - May 1996

Comment

Knowledge Vs Wisdom

Chillgirl;913554 wrote: Hi BH - I know im going off on a tangent here but your post just struck a chord when you said "sobriety was just the 1st step", so many of us recovering from addictions seem to look deeply into our short comings and work on improving everything about our lives way beyond the initial problem. Does this mean that normal drinkers don't get to this stage as readily as us?
                  I often contemplate this and actually use it as one of the reasons Im grateful to have suffered from addiction in the 1st place....
                  I agree chill,its not saying we are better than them,but maybe we have had the experience,if that's the wright word ? and can see ourselves in a more positive and are more open to a better way of living our lives.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                  I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Knowledge Vs Wisdom

chill, i totally agree. so many people here while gaining their sobriety are also gaining a lot more in the process. people who have never taken any exercise are now doing so and are looking inside themselves for better ways of living. yes, in a strange way we can be thankful for our addiction for taking us to that place
                    Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
                    Keep passing the open windows

Comment

Knowledge Vs Wisdom

I related so much more to shamanism through my experience in addiction. I'd read many books on the subject, having been drawn to this ancient wisdom from an early age. Yet it was only through experiencing the shamanic process of death/surrender/rebirth myself that I was able to truly relate to the teachings. I consider myself to be a wounded healer or shaman without fear of the ego telling me differently.

I wouldn't so much say I'm glad to be an alcoholic but I am blessed to know I am an alcoholic and that my wounds have become my purpose in life today.

Many Blessings
                      Phil

Comment

Knowledge Vs Wisdom

Chill, interesting thought ! I cant say I am pleased to have my addiction as it has caused my children to much pain. But I believe that alcohol effected my thought and actions for many years and it also provided me with a way to shy away from reality. No that I am sober I am facing reality and taking a close look at my actions and my character which has been influnced by my drinking ! I dont like a lot of what I see, so I am definately a work in progress !

Comment

Knowledge Vs Wisdom

Braveheart, I didn't recognise myself or even know myself when I stopped drinking - that was a bit scary. Lots of parts of me need maturing and working on - but so be it, it's wonderful to be sober warts and all!
                          Molly
                          Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                          contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Working...
                          X