Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Room To Live

Hi guys,
    I haven't been on here in about 6 months but I hope you're all doing well.

I know this should strictly be posted in the Reading Section but I wanted as many people to see this as possible in the hopes of finding some inspiration.

I have just finished reading 'No Room to Live' by Wynford Ellis Owen - he is a British writer and actor who got sober in 1992 and decided to write his autobiography about his life and recovery. I have read it cover to cover in one sitting so it's not horrendously challenging or anything.

Often hearing people's life stories about their addiction quite frankly makes me want to drink, which is why I don't go to AA. But although I was in tears through much of the book, they were tears of relief and gratitude about feeling validated by someone who really understood. It just really spoke to me - not just about the similar experiences of being an alcoholic, but the feelings associated with it and so many other things.

But the most important thing about this book is that it has a lot of insightful thoughts in it and has totally changed my attitude to my own attempts at recovery and about staying stopped. This is not just some tearjerker - it is a tool as well. I really think having this book around is going to give me more strength.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has read this (it was only translated from Welsh to English earlier this year) - and if you haven't I really, really can not recommend it enough. As soon as I finished reading it I desperately wanted to contact the author to thank him for writing it, so i emailed him. I have never, ever done that before. That's how good it is.

Anyway, I hope this book can help other people in the way that I think it has already helped me and I have only just finished reading it.

All the best, K x
    Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

No Room To Live

Hey Kimberley.

Firstly GREAT to see you and secondly...defo gonna order this book Sounds Great!
    "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
    NF 12th May 2010

Comment

No Room To Live

Sounds good - but looks hard to get.

Sun x
      How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

No Room To Live

Kimberley ......... great to see you !!!!

Will look into getting the book, thanks xx
        sigpicXXX

Comment

No Room To Live

Hi Kim,
          How are you doing? I started out with you in Jan and am still going strong!
          I love the sound of the book and will check it out on Amazon asap..... Thanks
          "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
          AF - JAN 1st 2010
          NF - May 1996

Comment

No Room To Live

I just read the reviews for this book and they have all given it 5*s!
            "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
            AF - JAN 1st 2010
            NF - May 1996

Comment

No Room To Live

Hi all and thanks for the welcome back - Chill I am soooo happy and proud of you for your continued success. That's inspirational - never give in.

Although it may be tough to get the book, you can order it on Amazon I believe and from various other places. Here is the 'official' website: No Room to Live - a journey from addiction to recovery - Wynford Ellis Owen All profits from the book go to a free day-care rehab centre that the author has set up.

I do hope some of you can get hold of it and let me know what you think - it really is worth it. I feel like my life has changed a lot today just because of some massive realisations based on what I have read. I would lend you mine but I need it - I have even turned down the corners of several pages for quick reference. i wish this book had been translated a few years ago when I first really wanted to get better.

K x
              Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

No Room To Live

KIMBERLY!!! :l

So good to *ermmm* read you? LOL
                Sounds like a wonderful book.. will have a peek at Amazon.. thank you!
                Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

No Room To Live

Put the book on my calendar to check out tomorrow. Thanks! I like your enthusiasm for it.

Comment

No Room To Live

Kim, so good to see you, hear from you. The book sounds inspirational, it is interesting how some types of reads just really affect your perspective and influence your life.

Hope you are doing OK and thanks for sharing your find.
                    Formerly known as redhibiscus

Comment

Working...
                    X