Tough Day, need to share.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thing that upsets me most about my alcoholism is the way it hits me when I least expect it and having to deal with and understand the reasons that this happens, I've said this before I know but I am learning so much about how my insecurities affect my behaviour and my decision making processes.

For the sake of some context, I was walking down the road today when I began to fantasize about the idea of being at a dinner party with some people and I started to think about the wines I used to drink. I should say that retreating into fantasy is somewhere I'm beginning to realise that I hide quite a lot. The next thing I knew it was on me and I was experiencing some pretty strong cravings. I say this with some degree of humility as up until today I had been getting fairly smug about my sobriety.

These negative feelings have hung around under the surface for most of the day and this evening when I said goodbye to a friend after a gig it hit me again really suddenly. I have felt as though I have had such a good week so far but my complacency has let me get blindsided.

I think that I started the week feeling positive for a number of reasons. Firstly, I have recently walked from a job that I hate, then on Monday night I was at a gig that went pretty well, Tuesday night I watched a mate do well and last night I had another good gig.

Today has in effect been a bit of a hangover from the start of the week. Unwittingly I had let the narcissist that is me; fix upon the positive feedback I had received from the people at the gigs as well as the achievement of being sober. I have been smug and vain.

Today, I was faced with the reality that in fact the road ahead is going to be tough. The financial challenges that I have to face are going to be tough, not to mention the emotional ones that present themselves in the wake of the greatest challenge of all which is staying sober. This alone was enough to ‘sober me up’ from the narcissistic high that I had been hiding in but on top of that I did a gig tonight that did not go as well as the others and that was the extra come down. In fact once the first gig had finished I popped along to another one to see if I could get another open spot in an attempt to salvage something from the night, this is an example of the junkie that is me fixing on all he can in order to attain a degree of comfort from negative feelings that I am experiencing.

So, as I have said before on another thread – and which rather aptly fits as a question that can be directed towards myself – what is causing the discomfort? Well the obvious answer would be fear but I think it would be selling the problem short to stop there. Inevitably answers tend to create questions. So what is causing the fear? Well I am massively afraid of rejection, these are fears which I have reflected upon to a great degree before but perhaps not enough in sobriety. As the oldest of four siblings I think that the roots of this anxiety were probably set down from an early age as attention was increasing drawn away from me however from my early teens through to my mid twenties I clashed massively with my mum, to say we argued would not do our ‘fights’ justice. We hated each other and that’s a shit thing for a kid to take.

The reasons for this are two dimensional to the point of this post. The consequences were a fairly lengthy drug abuse habit which drove me to seek comfort in some wickedly dark and emotionally destructive groups, relationships and behaviours thinking I could fight my way through to a sense of peace. In tandem with this my alcoholism was developing, the drug abuse sort of hided this from me but when I stopped taking illegal drugs, I thought I had it nailed. After all I was only a social drinker right? The irony being that the more I drank the more isolated I felt.

My greatest fear now, is whether or not I am going to be able to face up to the insecurities which are forcing me to seek comfort in whatever way I can.

It’s so hard!

I can fix in so many different ways and in order to truly be free from addiction in general I feel I have to watch everything I do. Is it possible? I know that it is considered prudent to try and slay one dragon at a time, but I’m beginning to regard addictive behaviour on the whole as one dragon. Today has been tricky, I am still sober, I hope I am a little less smug and a little more grateful.
    "The greatest hazard of all, losing one?s self, can occur very quietly in the world, as if it were nothing at all. No other loss can occur so quietly; any other loss - an arm, a leg, five dollars, a wife, etc. - is sure to be noticed." Soren Kierkegaard.

AF since 13 June 2010.

:l Thank you for your post, Johnny. I'm struggling too. :l

Pie

Comment

Jonny, You sound so hard on yourself today.
      The fact that you are struggling just means you have a healthy brain and are having cravings. Period. The fact, of which you have every reason to be proud, is that you have abstained in spite of such cravings for 40 days!
      That is awesome!
      I know you want it to feel natural, but right now the path of LEAST resistance is further drinking. You are trying to break that habit and it doesn't feel comfortable. The fact that it doesn't feel comfortable means you are doing the hard work needed to succeed. Bravo! If it were easy none of us would be here.
      When we drink and fail in any way we try to drag out all the possible reasons we drank or failed to quit. I believe this process, while it may be illuminating, is not always that helpful.
      Once addicted to alcohol the consumption is driving by cravings. These cravings tend to get weaker and weaker with every passing day. Any of us at any time can use any event or feeling as an excuse for why we drank or an excuse to drink now or later.
      It sounds like you may want to talk to a shrink or someone like that about some of your issues. That experience will go much better now that you are abstinent.
      Good Luck
      Sunny

Comment

Hi Johnny,
        Cravings are perfectly normal.. and well done for not giving in.. as you get further along in sobriety, AL does start to look more appealing, and the memories of all the bad times on AL become more distant.. you have to remember the reason why you are doing this, and why you don't want AL in your life any more.. stop glamourising the effects of AL and remember it is poison, and will lead to no good - you are not "missing" anything in your life, in fact your life is much more improved and fulfilled without AL.. I know its tough, but keeping yourself distracted and filling your life with as much activity as possible, I find, works the best.
        "It works if you work it, because you are worth it!!!"

:groupluv:

Comment

Johnny, you have so much on your plate. I do understand, from your past posts, what your responsibilities are. And you're right - this week has been shit for you. Complacency is our 2nd worry, after a little AF time. We're tough, we can handle it, we've fought the beast......but no, it waits in the wings. Sometimes, along with real life, real time, it seems intolerable.
          But, boy, it can be done. Do we give up things we enjoy? Yes. Do we feel a loss, in so many ways? Yes. But giving in leads to the inevitable self-destructive, self-condemning, self-hating depression that AL didn't tell us about when we first imbibed. It was all warming, relaxing, empowering then. Now it is exacting it's toll.
          You are a good guy. You want the right thing. And you KNOW the next right thing. Whether you understand it now or not, others are secretly watching you, waiting to see how you fare, and you can choose, for YOURSELF, to beat this. I've seen, known people who have, and I can't tell you how their quiet soberness has affected me, given me the strength to fight my own battle.
          Every day we face conflicting signals, wants, needs, in our life. But this is YOUR life. You only can choose the world you want to live in.
          I'm right here, as often as I can be, to offer you support, help, but guidance? I'm not qualified, or able, to tell you how you should live your life. The only reason I stay is to be a sounding board for others, and you, and let you know someone half a world away cares what you do tomorrow.
          Rubes
          sigpic
          Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
          awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Sunnyvalenting;917762 wrote:
            It sounds like you may want to talk to a shrink or someone like that about some of your issues. That experience will go much better now that you are abstinent.
            Good Luck
            Sunny
            Thanks for the posts guys. Sunny, you may not realise how wise these words are. I've been seeing a psychotherapist for three and a half years and it feels as though I've taken in everything in that time but the application of what's been learned has not been consistent or even concious enough. It feels as though giving up the grog has brought all of the things I've been learning into focus fairly suddenly and although I feel I am maturing, acknowledging the changes that I will have to make and the work that still needs to be done can be a little overwhelming.

Katie, you are right. It can be too easy to forget about the damage that Alcohol has done. I know I am better off without it, if I'm not careful, my pride will be the pre-cursor to a fall.

Pie, I am sorry you are struggling too, I hope we can stay in the fight together.

Ruby, you never fail to bolster my resolve. Quiet soberness is the way forward. Thank you.
            "The greatest hazard of all, losing one?s self, can occur very quietly in the world, as if it were nothing at all. No other loss can occur so quietly; any other loss - an arm, a leg, five dollars, a wife, etc. - is sure to be noticed." Soren Kierkegaard.

AF since 13 June 2010.

Comment

Johnny, your post hit a tender spot for me. Let me explain. I think that lots of people who have using issues, live with more fear than the average person. Using makes it go away for a while. I often feel intense fear about financial issues, and being "good enough," professionally, personally, etc.

The craziness of forgetting the reasons we want to be AF is part of the mystery of addiction. That's why it is so helpful to write it down, talk with others, to remind ourselves of the truth of using.

Also, I feel weak if I am hungry, angry, lonely or tired. So it is both the physical and emotional that have to be addressed. It can be exhausting dealing with all this stuff all the time.

Sounds like you are doing everthing you can to reach your goal, I am saying good for you, give yourself the credit you deserve.
              Formerly known as redhibiscus

Comment

Johnny that was a soul searching heartfelt post. You are obviously an intelligent guy who is facing up to the realities of your situation. This is a huge learning curve and not many people get it right straight off, I know I didnt. But lessons are being learned and you are looking deep inside. Many people in the situation you found yourself last night would have picked up a drink, you didnt. You only have to look at the boards daily to see that. Give yourself some credit and maybe cut yourself a little slack. You are sober, remember Rome wasnt built in a day. I have a real feeling you are going to be one of the big success stories here. Thats my honest opinion.
                Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

I can't really add to the posts above - just wanted to second what KTAB said.
                  I'll do whatever it takes
                  AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Hi Johnny. I don't know you from Adam but your post made me cry. Your blazing honesty and incredible self awareness are humbling to me. If you can't beat this thing I don't think anyone can. I have nothing to say, just wanted to give you a cyber hug and wish you well.
                    Go before that fire there, at the altar of your heart
                    That fire of who you really are and be consumed by it fully
                    Surrender everything into the fire of that love until you are one with that love. You ARE that love.
                    Tilak Pyle Altar of the Heart

Comment

Inevitably answers tend to create questions.

I believe that we need to get to a point where we stop questioning our answers and have faith that things will be OK. It was like staring into a mirror, metaphorically speaking, reading your post Johnny. My insecurities can run amok without warning some days and I can find myself feeling fearful over the simplest of things. Usually I need to 'fix' it quick by doing something; usually pretending to text on my phone or maybe rolling a fag just to alleviate the fear/paranoia by going back into my bubble. That fantasy world as you put it has kept me safe for SO long and changing habits and behaviours to change that is not going to happen overnight. As long as I'm not beating myself about it and I'm still willing to try and change then it makes life a bit easier for me knowing this. I'm sure you've heard it said many a time that sobriety is a journey or process not a destination. I needed to stop trying to be perfect in sobriety and realise that the whole world is mad to some degree. I consider myself lucky that I've awakened to mine and I'm aware of it. Because I can now do something about it.

Give yourself a break Johnny. You're doing great. You're exactly where you are meant to be in your journey. When you start to try and change that, that's when the imbalances occur. As someone said "Rome wasn't built in a day" I've spent over 20 years in active addiction; like yourself, with both drink and drugs and you can't reverse that kind of emotional damage overnight.

Many Blessings
                      Phil
                      "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                      Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

I appreciate all of your posts, thank you very much.

Phoenix, I am too vain and narcissistic to be regarded with any degree of humility but I appreciate the sentiment and I gratefully return your kind hug, there is in my opinion nothing quite as human as an embrace. Humility is a very difficult thing to develop and I believe that it can only come over time. It is also a very difficult thing to sit with. Often it feels as though the hedonist in me is wanting to burst out and cry 'FCUK IT LAD'S I'M BACK, AND THIS TIME WE'RE GOING FOR THE BIG PRIZE!'. However by maturing, I am beginning to see that this would be - and for so long has been - a personality to hide behind or within. It is uncomfortable to get used to myself as a quiet, timid, and sensitive person as I feel far more vulnerable in social situations. On the upside, when I observe myself, I am a lot happier with what I see, and I am more accurately tuned into my emotions.

Hippie, your posts here are always helpful, constructive, considered, reflective and wise. I appreciate your words of support and I promise you that I will endeavour to reflect upon all of your contributions with the same degree of conciousness that has so clearly inspired them.

I would like to add that when I decided to stop taking drugs which is a few years back now, my relationship with my mother began to improve at a remarkable rate. She - unlike my dad - is not a very keen drinker and has been one of my greatest supporters in my sobriety so far. I tell her I love her as often as I can, and I am very grateful for our healed/healing relationship. It's funny how those whom care about us the most can - at times of darkness - seem to be the furthest away, when in fact they are doing all they can to replenish the oil in our lamp!

AF since 13 June 2010.

Comment

Johnny,

You are doing a great job. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and have faith that it DOES GET BETTER with each step. So many of us have been where you are now. Don't think too far into the future or dwell too much in the past. Strive to stay in the present moment and never underestimate the power of gratitude and being proud of how far you have come. I think the hardest thing about becoming AF is switching your mindset from feeling deprived about not drinking to feeling appreciative of how much you are gaining by not drinking.

After over 2 years, I still have my moments but they are very few and far between and the thought of drinking is only fleeting, it doesn't take over and overwhelm me like it used to. Try to observe your thoughts and feelings in a mindful way and know they are just that "thoughts and feelings." You don't have to act on them and it is part of the process of becoming whole again.

M3
                          AF Since April 20, 2008
                          4 Years!!!
                          :lilheart:

Comment

Working...
                          X