Wasn't going to mention it but.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On Monday at 9:00 a.m. I report to jail in Texas for my DUI for 20 days. My lawyer was on vacation for the last appearance and sent a colleague who didn't even seem to know about the history. My vacationing lawyer had a conversation with my husband and he told him I probably wouldn't have to do time due to age, no threat, no criminal history.

However, it is what it is. I was reluctant to post because when it happened I posted and received some negative replies from a couple of members who changed their names to post their opinions. However, I really need the support to get through this. It hasn't helped that I've had pneumonia this week but I'm trying to get to a place of peace within myself to get through this. Yoga and meditation are helping greatly.

I so want the shame and fear behind me. Don't wish me luck just remember that getting behind the wheel when drunk is a bad idea. I didn't hurt anyone thank goodness but I've had to attend a MADD class where one of the speakers had killed someone and the other speaker lost his daughter to a drunk driver. It could have all been prevented had any of us called a taxi but inebriation fools you into thinking you're okay. The two speakers were brave, courageous people who humbled me, it was such a powerful demonstration of forgiveness on both their parts.

The emotional and financial cost of this has been overwhelming to myself, family, etc. I have a lot of running around for classes, community service, probation appointments and I have no license to drive.

I don't expect any sympathy, but I would appreciate support from my friends at this time.

Thanks.
    Enlightened by MWO

Thank you for posting this. I am going to show this post to my son. I think there have been times when he thought he was ok and got behind the wheel. Thank you for being brave enough to share.
    "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Hilary - may this nightmare soon be over for you and let it be a HUGE lesson to us all.

Sending you strength and ultimately peace as you close this particular chapter of your life.

Comment

Hilary, my thoughts are with you. I cant imagine the hell you are going through right now but I hope it ends soon
        Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
        Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Hilary,

Thank you for letting us know. We would have been worried not knowing why you were not posting. Can't wait to welcome you back.

xoxo

Comment

You do deserve support for your honesty and openly sharing this with the people here, it is not an easy thing to do, as you stated others have attacked you before.
            may it soon be behind you,
            you got my support..:l

Comment

SKendall;921030 wrote:

The emotional and financial cost of this has been overwhelming to myself, family, etc. I have a lot of running around for classes, community service, probation appointments and I have no license to drive.

I don't expect any sympathy, but I would appreciate support from my friends at this time.

Thanks.
              You have it. :l
              Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Hugs Hilary

Love you
                K
                Nov 1 2006 avg 100 - 120 drinks/week
                April 29 2011 TSM avg 70 - 80/wk
                wks* 1- 6: 256/1AF (avg 42.6/wk)
                wks* 7-12: 229/3AF (avg 38.1/wk)
                wks 13-18: 192/5AF (avg 32.0/wk)
                wks 19-24: 176/1AF (avg 29.3/wk)
                wks 25-30: 154/10AF (avg 25.6/wk)
                wks 31-36: 30/37AF (avg 5/wk )

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.
                http://www.thesinclairmethod.net/community/

Comment

Hilary,

I don't know what to say. We talked about this a while ago and you were so afraid and now it is here.

Much strength to you and when those days go by, hopefully you can move on to many better things in life.

Take care and be strong. You can do this!! :l:l

Love,
                  Cindi
                  AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Skendall,
                    Thank you for sharing your story.. this could so easily be any one of us who has a drinking problem.. I got a DUI over 3 yrs ago, and was very lucky to avoid jail.. this is why I am determined to beat this thing now, to ensure I never do anything like drink and drive ever again.. I am going to rehab in 2 weeks.
                    I truly wish you all the strength in the world.. 20 days is not that long (easy for me to say i know).. but just see it as a learning curve.. and once you are free again, it will serve as a reminder of what never to do again - and 20 days in jail, is a whole lot better than life in jail for killing someone whilst drink driving.. I get my license back next month.. and I will make sure I see it as a priviledge, and not a "right" to drive, and will treat my license with so much respect, now I have been struggling without a car for over 3 yrs.. it has been hard, but I have used this time to reflect on my actions.. and take total responsibility for what I did.. we are both very fortunate to not have harmed anyone when we were drink-driving, and that is truly a blessing to make the most of!
                    Wishing you the best on your journey..
                    xxx
                    "It works if you work it, because you are worth it!!!"

:groupluv:

Comment

SK,

Thanks so much for posting this, it is not an easy thing to do. It will be a warning to others.
                      You have my support, we are all behind you.Please keep us posted hon xxx
                      "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
                      NF 12th May 2010

Comment

I would not condone your actions that day naturally but 'let he without sin cast the first stone'. You are paying the price for your judgment of error, thankfully it wasnt a much higher one. But you know that only too well and have heard first hand the effect of DUI can have. I sincerely hope every one gets behind you here in offering their support at this tough time for you. And remember folks if it wasnt for the devastating effects AL we wouldnt have this thread in the first place.
                        Keep safe
                        KTAB
                        Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Skendall - My heart goes out to you and I wish you much strength in getting through this. I pass no judgement on you and offer you nothing but support. Keep up the meditation as much as you can... :l
                          "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                          AF - JAN 1st 2010
                          NF - May 1996

Comment

Hil... When I imagine 20 days in jail, I feel small and afraid. I think that I would pull out all my coping tools for this. I'd try really hard to feed the thought that the universe is placing me in an experience that is invaluable to my soul's growth and keep my eyes and heart open to receive the message from the experience. Can you take anything like CDs (I'm thinking meditation ones or something like that) or books (same train of thought here)? Hil, before Monday maybe you can learn some breathing techniques? I'll PM you the valium pressure points to use. I believe this is a "planned event" in the big scheme of things and you will be safe. That's just me.... but, hey... if it wards off the fear, why not? :l
                            sigpic
                            Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Hi Hilary,
                              Wishing you well and that this time passes quickly.
                              Stay well.

Comment

Working...
                              X