Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you feel about non-alcoholic beer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is interesting. I occasionally have a non-al beer and it doesn't trigger any cravings at all. Mind you I like the taste of beer. I got my 'buzz/blackout' from vodka, gin and brandy, the hard stuff was my problem rather than beer.

The only thing is most non-al beers have a nasty aftertaste and they are fattening. Beck's Blue, though, is yummy I have also found myself drinking ginger ale to get that harsh hit at the back of my throat that I miss - like swallowing brandy and also sparkling water with lime as it tastes a bit like beer.

However, I would say, if in doubt, don't.
    Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Tommo;921714 wrote: I quite like them, sort of cleansing. I read somewhere that bread contains similar trace amounts of alcohol so you cannot totally avoid the stuff.
      Well in future i will have to start using me loaf, no more bread for me

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

I?m throwing out some numbers to help people make an informed decision on this topic (I did some research before going to a Sox game!).

nonalcoholic beer has 0.4 g alcohol in a 12 oz. bottle and 70 calories
        vanilla extract has 1.4 g alcohol in a teaspoon
        light/low-alcohol beer has 3-4 g alcohol per 12 oz bottle
        Apple juice has 0.1 ? 0.38 g alcohol
        Grape juice has 0.15 ? 1.0 g
        Rye bread has 0.34 g in 2 slices
        German chocolate cake has 0.62 g per slice

Nearly all fruit juices contain the same amount of alcohol as found in a nonalcoholic beer; because it?s not traceable except in chemical analyses, they don?t even list it on the labels. As you can see, you will get ?drunker? on a bowl of vanilla ice cream than by drinking a Clausthaler.

That said, I completely get the anxiety about triggering the desire for the real thing. I just want to lay to rest any fears that the response will be physiologic versus emotional and psychological, which are equally powerful.

Here's my experience: I had an O?Doul?s at the baseball game, and it didn?t have an effect on my cravings or resolve around abstinence--or any effect at all. It was cold and refreshing and I enjoyed it, but it didn?t make me want an IPA or to buy some more to have at home, or to drink the next day or even at that game. That was a week ago.

So to echo what others have said, listen to your own gut on this re. triggers. Just know that it?s not the alcohol content you have to fear, but those pesky, powerful associations.

Affectionately,

Pride
        AF since July 15, 2010. :applouse:
        "People who drink to drown their sorrow should be told that sorrow knows how to swim." —Ann Landers

Comment

As you have said pride its the psychological thing with actually asking for an non alcohol beer,(which in Ireland is actually dearer than beer with alcohol) and the association you get with having a beer in front of you, give me vanilla ice cream any day.Thanks for the research :-)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
          I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Hi, I'm with Kimberley on this one, in that I actually enjoyed "having a beer" - the taste, etc so non-AL beer helped me over the first few weeks. I'm not sure where I'll go from here with it - I'm thinking of switching to club soda or something the next time I want something. It's just I remember being at a wedding sober last year, and nearly floating away on all the water I was drinking And i hate fizzy drinks (I only ever used them as mixers).
            But all the advice here cautions against. For me, I think i've still got a bit of self-exploration to do, in that I'm afraid I may be trying to trick myself into thinking I can still drink, by drinking AL-free beer (pretending nothing has changed).
            Guess I don't know the answer!!
            AF since 13th July 2010
            NF since 5th July 2010

Comment

Yeah, I never got drunk on beer (My stomach would have ruptured first!!) so I don't have that association.

My new addiction tho is Freeze Pops. Oh yummers. :h
              Go before that fire there, at the altar of your heart
              That fire of who you really are and be consumed by it fully
              Surrender everything into the fire of that love until you are one with that love. You ARE that love.
              Tilak Pyle Altar of the Heart

Comment

Working...
              X