Fixing on Pastries!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixing on Pastries!

I went to an AA meeting tonight and was fortunate to have the opportunity to share the fact that I was stuggling a bit with acceptance. It was great meeting. There were some wise old soldiers present. Lately I have been finding acceptance of my Alcoholism difficult. I here so many stories from people who have experienced far darker times than I (YET).

I do understand my condition fairly well for someone who has only really acknowledged it relatively recently, I think this is due to the fact that - as some of you may be aware - I have been in Psychotherapy for the past three and a half years and have a good overall understanding of who I am and what my triggers are.

Despite all this, not to mention the fact that 7 weeks ago I was a borderline suicidal wreck from a binge that seen me imbibe more alcohol than any human should have the capacity to tolerate, and despite the fact that someone I know died this week after giving up the fight against heroin addiction, I still find it hard to get into the centre of the AA bed as they say. I hasten to add this is something I intend to change. So tonight I shared all this and felt better for it I even listened to someone speak who I thought would make a good potential sponsor, all in all it was a good session.

The point that I would like to make is that sometimes I am so fucking crazy it makes me laugh out loud. Since I have given up alcohol I have become keenly aware of the fixes I use as hiding places. I have been really disciplined, to the point where I am eating well, exercising regularly, I am abstinent in every way one could imagine (typical Alcoholic right, I have to do things to extremes). The problem is - as BP are finding out in the Mexican Gulf - when you plug all the holes too quickly other cracks can appear, so low and behold I am now developing something of a predisposition towards a particular iced bun that they sell at Tescos.

After the meeting I decided to pick up some milk, and almost unconsciously I went to Tesco's knowing that I would see if they have got any of these cakes. I told my self all the way there, don't have one, you are only going to Tesco's for the cake, when I walked into the shop, I said to myself, get the milk and go.... as I walked to the Bakery section!!!

There they were. Two left. I felt the relief as I picked one up, took it, got the milk and walked to the till feeling like a guilty school child. Ha ha ha, I crack myself up! I know it's better than getting hammered but I find it increadible that one minute I can doubt my Alcoholism and Addictive nature then the next.... I'm fixing on fucking Pastries.

I am happy to concede to my Alcoholism, I cannot control it and I have to accept it. I am not particularly proud of it, nor am I ashamed of it. I tell you one thing I am proud of though. I am sober today and that Cinnamon Roll didn't do anything to change that.

My love to all of you.

Johnny.
    "The greatest hazard of all, losing one?s self, can occur very quietly in the world, as if it were nothing at all. No other loss can occur so quietly; any other loss - an arm, a leg, five dollars, a wife, etc. - is sure to be noticed." Soren Kierkegaard.

AF since 13 June 2010.

Fixing on Pastries!

Nothing to really say here but you crack me up too Johnny!! Thanks for your honesty and keep up the good work!

Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Fixing on Pastries!

Great post Johnny. However do you HAVE to be so frigging descriptive? I am now scouring the pantry, and eyeballing the car keys! Pray tell me, good pastries? You say they're cinnamon rolls? The gooey ones like cinnabon?? ray:
      Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Fixing on Pastries!

;o)
        "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Working...
        X