How do you deal with offers of alcohol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tell people I am on medicAtion and am not supposed to drink. (Which I am but it never stopped me before!) People seem to accept that. If not, I'd just say I've exceeded my lifetime quota. :H
    Go before that fire there, at the altar of your heart
    That fire of who you really are and be consumed by it fully
    Surrender everything into the fire of that love until you are one with that love. You ARE that love.
    Tilak Pyle Altar of the Heart

Comment

PhoenixRising;924422 wrote: I tell people I am on medicAtion and am not supposed to drink. (Which I am but it never stopped me before!) People seem to accept that. If not, I'd just say I've exceeded my lifetime quota. :H
      Amen. :H
      I've exceeded mine and my children's grandchildren's quota!

I haven't got anything to add, Neart - you've got some great advice already. I was lucky, in that I never had anyone questioning me. It was more the opposite for me... I fretted and 'practiced' my excuses before an event - only to find that nobody gave a hoot
      Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Hey neart,

When i first joined here, i asked the same question. Some good excuses are:

1. You're on a diet. (the best one i think).

2. You're trying to save money

I don't know about any others. They all seem to fall by the wayside. For eg., if you say you have a meeting tomorrow or have to get up early, they don't seem to care (they have no self respect, so why should they care about anybody else?! - that is the truth).

Don't even try to plead with people on the fact that you're giving up, they won't care. People don't care! They want to drag you in to their agenda..

I think you need to make individual excuses. Another one is you don't feel well. "i don't feel well tonight" and watch them gather around and feel sorry for you

Just say what you have to say. Another thing you can say is "what do you mean, i've been drinking all night"!

The later the night gets, the easier it will be to evade them.
        One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Comment

12+ weeks sober and learning tons. I've recently run into a relative asking me to go to a birthday party and was told that "no one will drink while you're at it." Thanks B.I.L. but you just made me feel like I was a social outcast. I told him I did appreciate the thought but would of rather been given the choice to attend even if others were consuming. Luck would have it that I had to work that night. I also have what I thought was a great, supportive friend I played hockey with. "Call me anytime TJ". I've called him four times in the last month to see if he wanted to get together. All calls have ended because he's "putting a few away"...........thanks buddy.

Venting! Ah, and going on my first AF vacation next week.

Just trying to stay focused!

Tj

Comment

The same way I would being a married man...and true to my nuptuals.....( They'll be tied if I'm not ! Ha!) When a lady asks if we could get together later.......I would reply..."Not tonight I have a headache !" Ha! IAD..
            ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
            those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
            Dr. Seuss

Comment

A response I like is "Not right now thank you".

Especially if you're meeting new people. They don't need to know your personal issues, problems, etc.

Not right now says just that. Gives them the impression of not right now, maybe later so they're not embarrassed that they asked and most people don't push drinks again. If they did...same answer. "Oh, no thanks - I've got a coke - I'm good".

Polite, no one feels embarrassed for asking, and you haven't revealed your private life to strangers. As people get to know you, they figure it out and quit asking or you become good enough friends that you have a comfort level to share more about your personal life knowing they'll understand.
              :l
              Eve11
              p.s. IAD, I just read your post and you're too funny as always. I think you should reply "I'm not married but my wife is". Hopefully they'd get the message that way too!!!
              "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Thank you so much everybody for all the advice
                IAD, good way of dealing :H
                TJ - wow...I'm sure they were trying to be kind, but imagine how self conscious you'd be if everyone was stood around sipping glasses of milk And Eve11, you are right about not revealing too much to people you don't know - something i have done way too much of in the past...
                :thanks:
                AF since 13th July 2010
                NF since 5th July 2010

Comment

Working...
                X