Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day seven, first time in years!

Hi everyone,

Im a bit nervous about posting this, nervous about whether its in the right spot, and just nervous in general. I have been sticking close by the threads, reading everyday and night this week. I have been here for quite some time, but reading and posting more in recent months.

For the first time in a very long time I have managed to stay AL free for seven whole days and nights. This follows a particular alcohol fueled night of which I carry much anxiety and shame about.

I finally feel a bit better mentally after beating myself up all week with self loathing from my last escapade with booze. It makes such a huge difference being AL free, for my children and for myself. I had forgotten what it feels like!

The massive challenge for me, today, is to get through this day, and this night, as I have friends coming over tonight (planned weeks ago) and something I am unable to get out of.

Social situations make me very nervous, hence a very big risk factor to pick up a drink. I cant cancel, I just have to use every ounce of will power I have. I know I will never be able to moderate my drinking, this addiction I find myself in is far to advanced for that. AF is the only way forward for me.

I can not drink, one is to many and ten is not enough.

I say that now, but will I have the strength and conviction later?!

Thanks for listening.

Regards Indi

good luck indi
    I love my family more than alcohol.:h
    Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

well awesme job on 7 days and well all you have to say is that you re taking it easy of al for a while rememeber you dont need to drink to have a good time
      :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
      best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Thanks Mama!

Comment

Yeah I know, its just the habit of trying to control anxiety and feel relaxed and easy going. Hhowever its the alcohol now that is well and truly way out of control!

thanks trlgs!

Comment

well if you feel that strongly about it beeing unconforable ..might be better to cansl it just until you are ready ..its all up to you but rememeber this is your life stay incontrol and your time to work on you
            :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
            best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

India congratulation on 7 days! Come on let's make it 8.....
              Tell your friends your on medication, or have a bad stomach, anything to take the pressure off you.

If there is one good thing about AL it's how awful it makes you feel so hang on to how you felt after that last binge. I wish you much strength :l
              "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
              AF - JAN 1st 2010
              NF - May 1996

Comment

Awesome! I am on Day 14 and Day 7 was HUGE for me - as I am sure it is for you. Savor the victory!!
                Go before that fire there, at the altar of your heart
                That fire of who you really are and be consumed by it fully
                Surrender everything into the fire of that love until you are one with that love. You ARE that love.
                Tilak Pyle Altar of the Heart

Comment

Well done Indy!

I had to ban all social event's for a few months, till i was strong enough to handle them. That's what i had to do, with no exception's. e.g. Unless a funeral or something, then i'd go, but avoid the wake, and/or drink's after, and leave early. I had to be ruthless, and it worked.

Congratulation's, and keep it up. Go for it! G.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Hiya indi
                    Hope you were able to sail through your event.. Wasn't the rugby was it?
                    I too really limit social situations right now - not that I lock myself away but just easier to spend more time getting things under control with me
                    Take Care
                    xx Patrice

Comment

Congratulations on an AF week, Indi!!! :goodjob: one foot in front of the other, one day at a time...
                      sigpic
                      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Way to go...Indi!

Are you taking BAC or was it Topamax? Either way, stay strong!

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

Ind, you are at the right place. (I've crashed some very strange parties at first!:H) Welcome, congratulations, and hang on! It's a bumpy ride at first, but look at changes in you, feel them, each day. When the urge hits, remember that light you've seen in yourselve recently. Just make it brighter each day.
                          Post, join, anywhere you like, hon. You're welcome.
                          sigpic
                          Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                          awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Hi guys, and thanks for your encouragement and support!

Patrice, yeah it was dinner and rugby. Unfortunately I caved so back to day 3 for me. So frustrated and annoyed with myself and the lack of self control. I think I can stand strong and overcome the cravings but when they come they are just so overwhelming.

I might have to go back on the Topa and perservere with the side effects. I got to do something, because at the moment I feel like im living in a vacum!

If you do what you have always done, you get what you always got. Im desperate to step out of that circle!

Sorry, just feeling a bit hopeless about it all right now:upset::upset:

Thanks for you kind relpys guys, it means a lot to me.

Regards Indy

Comment

Hi Indie,

Congratulations! I had a similarly challenge weekend ahead of me a couple of weeks ago. I drank tonic with no gin, grape juice instead of wine, and nobody even noticed. I felt a bit lost, but being sober while around people who are significantly drunk was also, well, sobering. They weren't funnier, or more fun to be with, or more interesting; they were just drunk.

Hang in there!

Pride
                              AF since July 15, 2010. :applouse:
                              "People who drink to drown their sorrow should be told that sorrow knows how to swim." —Ann Landers

Comment

Working...
                              X