Getting to Know You

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting to Know You

I thought I'd start a thread for peeps to introduce themselves, since I really don't know but a handful of folks here. Share according to your comfort level.

I live in the southeastern US and work in the computer field. I am a total nerd!! I am 53 and have 5 stepkids. I was never able to get pregnant, so ending up with 5 kids the easy way is truly a blessing to me. They range in age from 16 to 29. Three girls and 2 boys. One of the boys is living with us now.

I chose my screen name after the mythical Phoenix, who rises from the ashes after death to begin life anew.

I was a drinker since I tried my first drink, around age 18, which was the legal drinking age back then. My drinking became much worse when my beloved husband of 24 days died suddenly 10 years ago, leaving me in his house, his town, without much in the way of a support system. So, I drank heavily for the first couple of years afterwards, and was never able to get back to "normal" drinking. I started on baclofen last fall, got scared off due to the side effects, and then decided to give it another go. It was a success for me and I have been AF since July 24.

My hobby is gardening, physical fitness (I am a personal trainer) and sewing/crochet.
    I remarried 5 years ago.

My most unique talent: I can burp the alphabet. :H :H :H

I have 2 dogs, 2 elderly cats and an adorable gerbil.

How about you?
    Go before that fire there, at the altar of your heart
    That fire of who you really are and be consumed by it fully
    Surrender everything into the fire of that love until you are one with that love. You ARE that love.
    Tilak Pyle Altar of the Heart

Getting to Know You

Oh, PR!! Burp the alphabet?? Really?? I'm so impressed!!

I'm just south of Atlanta, Georgia, 58, mother of 2, grandmother of 7, dog momma of 4. I have a chronic health issue that has had me not working an outside job since 2002. My last job was so stressful I still have nightmares about being back there.
    In 2 weeks, I'll be married 40 years to the most wonderful, exasperating, thoughtful, true Southern smart ass man in the world.

I WISH I was a personal trainer (come see me, PR!) but have problems with any exercise. But I love nature, peace, quiet, simplicity. I'm an artist, dabble in many areas from paint to poetry, from sewing to stews. Children, the elderly, and animal rights are my passion. I am spiritual.

Love to meet more of you!
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Getting to Know You

I can burp Jingle Bells!!!!
      I am 49, married 19 years to one like Ruby's man.....
      an 18 and 15 year old son...the lights of my life
      I am a landlord/property manager for low income apartments...very stressful
      My drinking escalated a few years ago due to financial worries...husbands failed business, bankruptcy,foreclosure...you name it
      I have put all this mess in God's hands...but I wish he would speed up his plan for us!!
      I love to read, watch movies, and work in the yard.
      I have two kitties...one is a Tom that I just tended to his wounds from being out last night....
      I am blessed to live in beautiful North Florida, but my heart is in North Georgia where I grew up
      I love my family more than alcohol.:h
      Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Getting to Know You

mama bear;928765 wrote: I can burp Jingle Bells!!!!
        Ah, Mama, I knew we were kindred spirits.
        Surrender everything into the fire of that love until you are one with that love. You ARE that love.

Comment

Getting to Know You

Woe is me. No such talents.
          sigpic
          awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Getting to Know You

Phoenix I will always think "Amazing Grace" when I see you, nicer to remember you for that than the burping :H
            I will know which nerd to come to now with my computer probs.

I'm 45 and separated with no children, I live alone with my dear rescue dog Elle who is the baby I never had. I'm Scottish but have been living the dream in Portugal for 9 years. My drinking history would take too long suffice to say I was out of control when I found this site last Dec. I love to exercise and have done some serious cycling in recent years. My biggest passion is spirituality which I read & practice every day. I love emotive music and it's in the background of my life wherever I go. I chose the name Chillgirl as chill music is what I'm usually listening to or I'm chilling out in contemplation. :kudos:
            "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
            AF - JAN 1st 2010
            NF - May 1996

Comment

Getting to Know You

Hey all.

I'm 48, divorced, live in Virginia. I have two wonderful children, boy 19 and girl 23...and a yorkie 3. I work in real estate. I like to exercise, right now its Zumba and Yoga. I like to read and research various topics. Love to dance whenever I can, most the time when I'm cleaning the house. I'm not that great of a cook, but I only have myself to cook for now. Love to travel but haven't in a few years due to economy and my finances.

I've been on MWO since 2008 and have tried various approaches and meds. I'm still fighting the fight and am so damn tired. I know that the long term abbers say that it is just easier to abstain and I believe that, it's just getting past those first few days/weeks.

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

Getting to Know You

Bright, aren't Yorkies the lovliest little bits?? I have to play 'rubber chicken' with mine till she wears out.
                sigpic

Comment

Getting to Know You

brightlite;928817 wrote: Hey all.

I'm 48, divorced, live in Virginia. .
                  Hey brightlite - I am in Charlottesville.

Comment

Getting to Know You

Hi I'm 33 and a mother of 2 little girls aged 5 and 2. They are gorgeous but a real handful! Am looking to go back to work soon - think that will do me the world of good having been a stay at home mum for the last 5 years.

We've just relocated to scotland from down south for family support. My life has improved greatly and I am much much happier and not at all tempted to drink now. My husband has his own company and I often didn't see him for 7 days a week and late into the night - it has put a real strain on us but hopefully we'll pull through. I'm a single mum at the moment as he still works down south in the week. (I'm happier single - I get to watch what I want, eat what I want etc etc)

I love music, dancing, watching films and documentaries. Spend most of my time on-line though.

I've been at MWO for a while - stopping and starting on my journey but feel like I'm much stronger now and aiming for my first 60 days AF at the moment.
                    AF since Sunday 27th June 2010
                    One Day At A Time

Trying to be the best mother, daughter and friend that I can be.

Comment

Getting to Know You

Ruby,

Yes, I just love my lil yorkie to death. He can be the devil sometimes though.

Phoenix, That's so awesome! You are not far from me. I love Charlottesville! My daughter just graduated from UVA! I have to run out, but I'll PM you later.

Mrs. D...congrats on the 60 days! Hope to get there someday soon.

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

Getting to Know You

Hi all,
                        I have been in and out of this forum for around 2 years and have never really posted anything about 'me' so I may as well do it now as I have decided that these threads are a useful tool for me to avoid relapsing.

I am 30, no kids, none planned - living in London with my cat, housemates and a mountain of Red Bull (new addiction?). I can't belch any good tunes, sadly.

I have been an alky since the age of 18 - that's when I started drinking every day. I began drinking due to having Social Anxiety Disorder, which meant I was agoraphobic and couldn't really do anything where I thought people might be looking at me (eating in public, sports, shopping, you name it, I couldn't do it). So I ended up drinking all day everyday to be able to function with less fear. I would carry a bottle of Sprite with me at all times, which was 3/4 filled with gin and 1/4 Sprite. Then after uni/work/whatever I would just drink the stuff neat until I passed out/did things I couldn't remember and then passed out. Rinse and repeat.

About 4 years ago I was all but cured of my Disorder by an NLP hypnotherapist - I thought I'd then be able to control my drinking, but after many (mostly failed) experimants trying to do this, I realised I couldn't - al had too great a hold of me. So 2 years ago I decided to go completely AF and managed it, and a job in alcohol aftercare, for some time. A combination of life stresses led to a relapse. Big time. Out of work now for six months and finally started therapy for my Borderline Personality Disorder, which I have never dealt with.

I have had an attitude shift fairly recently and I am currently AF and confident that I may be able to do this thing in the long term after all, especially if I learn some massively lacking coping skills through therapy. Hope to be back at my job, maybe in a voluntary capacity at first, when I feel sufficiently stable. Never gonna give up giving up.

Glad to be back here - you guys are the best.
                        K x
                        Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Getting to Know You

oh Kimberly...love and prayers to you honey!!!
                          I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                          Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Getting to Know You

Thanks Mama - I will get through all this. I have more tools now and I will be using this brilliant forum as one of them. If I need help, dammit I will ask for it instead of trying to go it all alone, which I was doing (thanks, BPD!!) and which is one of the reasons my recovery caved in.

K x
                            Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Working...
                            X