Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Preciousness of Every Single Moment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a story of a woman running away from tigers. She runs and runs, and the tigers are getting closer. When she comes to the edge of a cliff, she sees some vines there, so she climbs down and holds on to the vines. Looking down, she sees that there are tigers below her as well. She then notices that a mouse is gnawing away at the vine to which she is clinging. She also sees a beautiful little bunch of strawberries close to her, growing out of a clump pf grass. She looks up and she looks down. She looks at the mouse. Then she just takes a strawberry, puts it into her mouth, and enjoys it thoroughly.

Tiger above, tigers below. This is actually the predicament that we are always in, in terms of our birth and death. Each moment is just what it is. It might be the only moment of our life, it might be the only strawberry we?ll ever eat. We could get depressed about it, or we could finally appreciate it and delight in the preciousness of every single moment of life.

Pema Ch?dr?n, The Wisdom of No Escape.

I read this this morning after receiving some news last night concerning the diploma course in therapeutic drumming and rhythm work that I've been doing. I was on the phone for a good hour last night with a member from the TDF (Therapeutic Drumming Foundation). The founder; Barry, who suffers with Parkinson's Disease, has deteriorated quite badly with his health, since I last saw him a few months ago. It means that the course cannot continue as the current members of the T.D.F do not have the experience to deliver the therapeutic side of the drumming. I'm going to continue to get support and mentoring from them as and when I need it but any qualification regards the drumming with the T.D.F is not happening I'm afraid.

I was completely gutted last night and was feeling a bit lost for direction. I've still got a lot to process at the moment and I'm not quite sure what my next move is tbh. I'm still going to continue with my own research and development of my drumming and facilitating skills (although I definitely need some counseling training and drum circle facilitation courses in the not too distant future).

What I came to realise after meditating on this for a while this morning is that this obstacle is really only a deviation in the path of which I'm still not fully aware of yet and of where I am supposed to be. If I continue in a positive direction, no matter what may seem like barriers my destination will be where I am supposed to go.

So whether or not I'm clinging to that vine myself right now, for me it's about having faith and being mindful of my situations. Out of every negative springs a positive as they say. Or as one door closes another one opens. All's I need do is keep visualising my intended path and be positive in spirit and mind about the changes and deviations along that path.

Many Blessings
    Phil
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Obstacles are opportunities in disguise. Nice Post Hippie

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

If it's for ya Phil, it won't pass you by.

Best of luck xx
      "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
      NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Phil thanks for sharing, it made me think of another story.......

There is a story of a farmer whose only horse ran away. That evening the neighbors gathered to commiserate with him since this was such bad luck. "Your farm will suffer, and you cannot plow," they said. "Surely this is a terrible thing to have happened to you."
        He said, "Maybe yes, maybe no."

The next day the horse returned but brought with it six wild horses, and the neighbors came to congratulate him and exclaim at his good fortune. "You are richer than you were before!" they said. "Surely this has turned out to be a good thing for you, after all."

He said, "Maybe yes, maybe no."

And then, the following day, his son tried to saddle and ride one of the wild horses. He was thrown and broke his leg, and he couldn't work on the farm. Again the neighbors came to offer their sympathy for the incident. "There is more work than only you can handle, and you may be driven poor," they said. "Surely this is a terrible misfortune."

The old farmer said, "Maybe yes, maybe no."

The day after that, conscription officers came to the village to seize young men for the army, but because of his broken leg the farmer's son was rejected. When the neighbors came again, they said, "How fortunate! Things have worked out after all. Most young men never return alive from the war. Surely this is the best of fortunes for you!"

And the old man said, "Maybe yes, maybe no."

His view of the world is serenely cyclic. Fortune. Misfortune. Life. Death. Whether on a small scale or vast, everything comes and goes everlastingly without beginning or end, and the whole system is protected from monotony by the fact that, in just the same way, remembering alternates with forgetting. This is a process you're a part of. And one you can participate in.

Maybe out of this something else will turn up that you would have missed if you'd continued on this path...... Maybe yes, maybe no
        Chill
        "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
        AF - JAN 1st 2010
        NF - May 1996

Comment

Phil, this bump in the road will only send you on different, unexplored paths. I'm so sorry for your friend. But I hope the life he has lived, his giving to his students, will comfort him through this.

Wonderful post, wonderful comments. Again, Phil, your growth is amazing.
          sigpic
          Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
          awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Thanks you Hippie and Chillgirl for sharing those stories. Great posts, both of you. The ideas of accepting life on life's terms and living in the now, because that's all there is, come to mind.

As you said, Hippie, the path is varying it's route, maybe it's destination, probably it's timeline (it loves doing that, I've found!) - but may also take you somewhere that is a more perfect version of your original destination. As you say, when one door closes, another one opens.
            When you hit a bump in the road, you find a way around it. Sometimes a huge obstacle you have to wait on the heavy equipment to come move it (that old timeline I think is trying to teach me patience and letting go - or something).
            Keep us posted.
            ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Would i have eaten the strawberries, or thrown them at the mouse? Maybe yes, maybe no.

You'll be fine Phil. I've noticed there are almost too many possibilities when we're sober!
              Best wishes friend, Greg.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

thank you Phil for a wonderful post once again. it was exactly what I needed to read tonite. I hope your friend doesn't suffer too much and that his memories of all the good he has done will sustain him and his students through this difficult time.
                peace and :l
                New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Phil, I love the way you hold your openness to the universe!
                  sigpic
                  Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Until my miracle happens (for I am sticking around with a fury), I would have most likely eaten the mouse and petted the strawberry.

Beautiful guides, your assist towards what is unintelligible is scholarly in my personal search.
                    Your articles of faith are absolutes.
                    The effect is instantaneous and a restoration of tenderness that softens like a twinkling in the twilight.

Your tone is heavenly~
                    :notes:Theme2be

" Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them~everyday begin the task anew".-Saint Francis de Sales

Comment

Working...
                    X