For those who have gone before

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A note of thanks to all of you who have remained alcohol free for a period of time and yet remain true to this website. Your encouragement and support and ,especially, your testimony that this can be done are so important to those of us who are struggling. Following is something I ran across a while back. I think of it as somewhat of a tribute to you guys. Thanks for being here for us.:h

Hope this note finds you all living in the sunlight of the spirit. The other day I was coming out of a meeting and a young man who has close to three months stopped me to ask why I still go to meetings. He said after all this time surely the desire to drink is gone. I responded the obsession and compulsion have been removed from me, but the desire to be like that "normal person" is still there. I just don't know when it will rear its ugly head. Bigger than that though is the need to be available to my fellowship to receive and carry a message of hope.

I read somewhere that I have a new employer, being all powerful, He provided what we needed if we kept close to Him and preformed His work well .. I recall a time when I asked my sponsor a similar question. He directed me to this:

GOD in his wisdom selected this group of men and women to be purveyors of His goodness. In selecting them through whom to bring about this phenomenon, He went not to the proud, the mighty, the famous or the brilliant. He went instead to the humble, the sick, to the unfortunate. He went right to the drunkard, the so-called weakling of the world. Well might He have said to us:

"Unto your weak and feeble hands I have entrusted the power beyond estimate. To you has been given that which has been denied to most learned of your fellows. Not to scientists, or statesmen, not to the wives or mothers, not even to my priest or ministers have I given the gift of healing other alcoholics which I entrust to you."

"It must be used unselfishly; it carries with it grave responsibility. No day can be too long: no demands upon your time can be too urgent; no case be to pitiful; no task too hard; no effort too great. It must be used with tolerance for I have restricted its application to no race, no creed, no denomination. Personal criticism you must expect; lack of appreciation will be common; ridicule will be your lot; your motives will be misjudged. You must be prepared for adversity, for what we call adversity is the ladder you must use to ascend the rungs toward spiritual perfection, and remember in the exercise of his power I shall not exact from you beyond your capabilities."

"You are selected because of exceptional talents, and be careful always if success attends your efforts not to ascribe to personal superiority that to which you can lay claim only by virtue of my gift. If I wanted learned men to accomplish this mission then the power would have been entrusted to the physician and scientist. If I wanted eloquent men, there would be many anxious for the assignment, for talk is easiest used of all talents with which I have endowed mankind. If I wanted scholarly men, the world is filled with better qualified men than you who would be available. You were selected because you have been the outcast of the world and your long experience as drunkards has made, or should make you, humbly alert to the cries of distress that come from the lonely hearts of alcoholics everywhere".

From the Director's Chair by Kirk Kureska

Beautiful thought New. Thank you.
    Rubes :hug:
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

:thanks: posting that NC that was very powerful :l
      Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Comment

Awesome, NC! I, too, want to thank all of you who are still here to help those of us who are still struggling! You are beautiful people! Hope you are feeling better, NC. Love ya, Vicki
        I'm not what I should be, I'm not what I could be. I'm definetly not who I want to be,
        but I'm sure not who I used to be!

There is no pit so deep that God's love is not deeper still.

"I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGTHENS ME." Phil 4:13

Comment

That is so beautiful..I am going to print it out. Thank you so much for posting that.
          Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

Comment

NC, that is a wonderful passage. Thank you for posting that.

Each of us start the day with a desire to stay sober for today. In that sense we are all alike. I am so grateful for each and every sober day that seems "easy" (the compulsion GONE). But AL is cunning, baffling and powerful. I know that the worst mistake I could possibly make is to take my sobriety for granted and isolate from my sobriety plan and my sober friends.

I tried to get sober all alone. It didn't work. I do not believe there is any amount of AF time I could have under my belt to make it possible for me to stay sober all alone.

I need other alcoholics to help me, and I need to help other alcoholics. That's just the way it seems to work in my little sober corner of the world. We all need each other I think.

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Thank you for this post NC. I too am printing it out for future reference. Although I will attempt to be a "normal" person(at least with respect to alcohol haha) after a 90 day period of ab, I will keep this in my file if I see myself going down the slippery slope again. :l

Dance thank you for your open honesty!:l

Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Ringing Cedars;932002 wrote:

Dance thank you for your open honesty!:l
                ????? Ok, I know I replied on this thread, and you apparently saw it. Now I can't see it - it was right after Grateful's reply. Weird.....
                ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Very weird - when I went backwards through my computer history it showed up as posted. Oh well....
                  ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Working...
                  X