SMART

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMART

anyone had any experience with SMART meetings. ive found there are a couple in my area and may try one out. ive never been to AA or any other support group, just a one on one councellor and the idea of face to face with people scares the shit out of me. any info greatly appreciated
    Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
    Keep passing the open windows

SMART

I went to a SMART meeting before I started going to AA. There was only 1 group in my area, so that's how very limited my experience is. I was very "anti AA" at the time but wanted to see what face to face support would be like.

Unfortunately, the only two "regulars" in the group at that time were even more anti-AA than I was and way too much time (for my taste) was spent AA bashing. That actually served to make me more open to checking out AA, so in my case it all worked out for the best.

I would hope that every SMART group is not like that. For me, face to face support has made a huge difference. I hope you give it a go! Since there is more than one group, try them all to see what feels best to you.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

SMART

Spuds, you may want to pm Hippie37. I know he is involved with Smart and it worked for him very well.
      "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
      NF 12th May 2010

Comment

SMART

i have helped set up the first SMART meeting in plymouth ..... third one tonight .... visited one in torquay ..... i didnt go tonight as have been drinking ..... not off my face but dont want to disrespect people ..... good movement based on Ellis's CBT theory ..... good toolbox of support mainly based on ABC ... activating events/thoughts/ irrational beliefs/ consequences .... then you challenge the irrational beliefs and replace them with rational ones .. glad to see you are more back in control x
        I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round .... really love to watch them roll .... no longer riding on the merry-go-round ...... I just had to let it go

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans

Comment

SMART

I'm just back from my first SMART meeting and it was ok, in fact I feel quite refreshed. All I can say is that they aren't/weren't anti AA. In fact they do say they work alongside other groups and organisations. I only got positive vibes on that side of things - and I've been to AA a lot in the past. In fact I'm attending 1 AA meeting a week in order to get some face to face support. I'm actually a natural loner, and AL made me even more so but I think I've had a lot of practice at group things over the years I've been trying to stop drinking!

Yes it's based on CBT and also uses ODAT, plus a lot of other techniques popular with addiction treatment as a whole.

Comment

SMART

hi ukblonde ..... did you get any "homework" from the meeting and if so how how do you feel about it .... would you mind sharing where the meeting was .... obviously anon imp so dont answer if you aren't happy to .... .... PM
            I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round .... really love to watch them roll .... no longer riding on the merry-go-round ...... I just had to let it go

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans

Comment

SMART

hey spuddle glad to hear you are willing to try ... i havent done or seem any smart meetting down here in fl... but as i do with mwo and aa and everything in life.. use what works for you and leave the rest ... being around other like yourself really does help and you start to listen to other speak and somethings starts to click ...wishing you all the best good luck
              :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
              best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

SMART

Nope no homework, I'll pm you the location since I don't think it's fair on other attendees that I discuss it too much.

Comment

Working...
                X