Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Female Question

Hi Gals,

I AGAIN fell off the wagon!!! I would stop AGAIN for two weeks but then fall off the wagon AGAIN and then go on these 2 week long binges. In the last 3 months (almost 4) I have not had a menstrual cycle, which is scaring me. However, in doing internet research some symptoms can be due to stress. And I am going through stressful times, fighting with my boyfriend (which we are now separating) and not be able to find a job. I am physically fit (die marathon hard runner), however my diet is not all that good except when I am not drinking and I just recently turned 41. I also know it be Premenopose but because I don't health insurance it's hard know at this time. I don't feel sick, that's of course when I am not recovery through the WORSE hangover. I am working back on the wagon AGAIN and trying hard to beat myself on this too much, I have been fighting this long enough to know the tools to get me back on track, not to mention this site which has given ALOT of great support and advice. I am also working really hard at eating right, drinking lots of water with lemon and taking my vitamins (milk thistle being one of them).

My question is:

1) Has any woman experience this but when they stopped drinking their period cycle began again?

Anywho, sorry for the long story and the typos, it's late here. Oh and maybe if any guy might known a female friend experiencing it, your advice is welcomed. :thanks:

Hugs, :h
    Janet

Day 4....AGAIN!!!
    AF Since May 2nd 2012

A Female Question

Lots of things can affect your menstrual cycle, for me a did miss a few when I was drinking. When I stopped they changed my pill as I'd been getting a lot of migraines and I've not had a period since.

By the way I also find my bodyfat and training levels affect my periods, with neither having to be very extreme for me to kiss menstruation goodbye!

Comment

A Female Question

sorry..can't be any help here, but good luck to you...
      I love my family more than alcohol.:h
      Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

A Female Question

You might be starting menopause. Although it is early, many women are goign through "the change" much early than in the past. Just like girls are starting their periods earlier than in the past. Used to most girls were 11-13, now girls are 9-10 and gettting it. I have several friends that started menopause in their 40's. I'd make an appointment with my GYN doc.
        Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

A Female Question

Hi Janet,

You're a bit young for menopause. Regular high-intensity exercise and low body weight are the most common reasons (next to being pregnant! Which you'd probably know by now). More "fun facts" about women and alcohol (not trying to scare you, just found these looking for menstruation/alcohol information on one of the research sites I use for work and wanted to share them. And they are scary!).

Pride

Chronic Alcohol Abuse

Fluctuations in gonadal hormone levels during the menstrual cycle may affect the rate of alcohol metabolism, making a woman more susceptible to elevated blood alcohol concentrations at different points in the cycle. Research findings to date, however, have been inconsistent (22,23,24).

Chronic alcohol abuse exacts a greater physical toll on women than on men. Female alcoholics have death rates 50 to 100 percent higher than those of male alcoholics. Further, a greater percentage of female alcoholics die from suicides, alcohol-related accidents, circulatory disorders, and cirrhosis of the liver (25).

Increasing evidence suggests that the detrimental effects of alcohol on the liver are more severe for women than for men. Women develop alcoholic liver disease, particularly alcoholic cirrhosis and hepatitis, after a comparatively shorter period of heavy drinking and at a lower level of daily drinking than men (26,27). Proportionately more alcoholic women die from cirrhosis than do alcoholic men (28).

Heightened Vulnerability

The exact mechanisms that underlie women's heightened vulnerability to alcohol-induced liver damage are unclear. Differences in body weight and fluid content between men and women may be contributing factors (29). In addition, Johnson and Williams (30) suggested that the combined effect of estrogens and alcohol may augment liver damage. Finally, alcoholic women may be more susceptible to liver damage because of the diminished activity of gastric alcohol dehydrogenase in first-pass metabolism (21).

Drinking also may be associated with an increased risk for breast cancer. After reviewing epidemiological data on alcohol consumption and the incidence of breast cancer, Longnecker and colleagues (31) reported that risk increases when a woman consumes 1 ounce or more of absolute alcohol daily. Increased risk appears to be related directly to the effects and quantity of alcohol consumed (32).
          AF since July 15, 2010. :applouse:
          "People who drink to drown their sorrow should be told that sorrow knows how to swim." —Ann Landers

Comment

A Female Question

Oh wait--here's another one relevant to your question:

Menstrual disorders (e.g., painful menstruation, heavy flow, premenstrual discomfort, and irregular or absent cycles) have been associated with chronic heavy drinking (34,35). These disorders can have adverse effects on fertility (36). Further, continued drinking may lead to early menopause (37,38).
            AF since July 15, 2010. :applouse:
            "People who drink to drown their sorrow should be told that sorrow knows how to swim." —Ann Landers

Comment

A Female Question

Thanks for advice! I will just keep staying AF and work HARD on getting my body healthy again. I will also internet research for a affordable GYN (because I don't have health insurance) and just keep my fingers crossed that's it's due to high levels of stress and drinking.
              AF Since May 2nd 2012

Comment

A Female Question

PrideBeforeFall, thanks for that info! I am no longer having periods and I am 48. I'm not sure which is the case, my going sober or menapause, either way, I am not going to focus on all the negative information out there about this! No more periods sound like a true blessing to me! Planetjanet, I would like to invite you to "100 days till Thanksgiving". We are all struggling in our first few days of getting sober, but are so looking forward to being thankful for 100 days of sobriety on Thanksgiving! God bless you, girlfriend! Love ya, Vicki
                I'm not what I should be, I'm not what I could be. I'm definetly not who I want to be,
                but I'm sure not who I used to be!

There is no pit so deep that God's love is not deeper still.

"I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGTHENS ME." Phil 4:13

Comment

Working...
                X