Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Army Thread 13 August 2010

Good morning, folks

Tawny: I need to place an express order for bucketloads of Embuggerance Begone. Please ship as an express delivery...

Starty: hang in there :l:l:l

:hallo: to all to come
    I'll do whatever it takes
    AF 21/08/2009

On its way Tipster. Taking a punt and sending the Triple Strength EBG™. It's on its way. Hang in there - should be at your door within the next hour or two.

Comment

Greatly appreciated
      I'll do whatever it takes
      AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Good morning Tips and Tawny-and all others to come. It's a beautiful morning here in Kermitland-just sipping my first cup of coffee and all the windows are open and the birds are singing. The kids are still sleeping-ahh, bliss it is-the calm! Better enjoy it cuz it won't last, haha! Tips, why do you need that bug spray stuff? Is someone bothering you?

Comment

Good Morning Army.

Hiya Tawny - good to see you. Hope things are drying out on your side of the world.

Hey Tips. What's got you going so early??

Expat, how was "Twilight"? Did you like it or just endure it??

Hope everyone manages to have a lovely day......off to walk the dogger. Back soon....

For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
          AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Hi Stirly! Twilight was not that bad! And then we went for sushi, so it turned out to be a great "girly" day with my 12 yr old daughter! Do you speak Greek or English at home? We speak English unless we have French friends over. The kids are bilingual-no accent in either language. I'm fluent but will always keep a little accent, I guess. Enjoy your morning before it gets too hot!

Comment

Hi there Tips, Tawny, Expat & Stirly! and of course anyone else joining in as the day goes on

Just quick check in from me, got up to feed the animals, am making a coffee and heading back to bed to read the newspaper while the house is still quiet

Expat, I'd love to be fluent in another language. I'm learning Portuguese but i'm not very disciplined about it. When i was there i had to learn some as where i was barely anyone spoke english but because i haven't been using it i've lost even most of that. Time to get the books and tapes out

Hope everyone has a really good day
              :h
              There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

Comment

Hiya Bandit! Thanks for the ideas about stuff to do in Dublin! The picnic idea is great-I'll make sure to carry a backpack with little bottles of water and snacks. It 'll keep me from darting into a pub when the kids and I are "thirsty", haha!

Comment

Hi again folks, Hi expat!

Scratch that last comment about going back to bed, forgot that i have to be somewhere this morning at 9 and have to have something prepared for it, i hate that and worse is i have to bring the kids with me as i've no-one to mind them:upset:

Roll on Sat morn, I love Sat morns
                  There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

Comment

expat3;933275 wrote: Hi Stirly! Twilight was not that bad! And then we went for sushi, so it turned out to be a great "girly" day with my 12 yr old daughter! Do you speak Greek or English at home? We speak English unless we have French friends over. The kids are bilingual-no accent in either language. I'm fluent but will always keep a little accent, I guess. Enjoy your morning before it gets too hot!
                    Hi Bandit. Too bad about not getting to read the newspaper in bed. Sat. morning is only 24 hours away...

Expat, we speak Greek at home except if I'm alone with my kids and then we usually speak English. And when younger son calls me, he almost always speaks English to me and quite often I reply in Greek. Sounds silly but it really comes easier to me that English a lot of the time or I've forgotten an English word or phrase. My guys too, are fluent in both languages with no accent and younger son took French lessons for 2 or 3 years when he was in his teens and still remembers most of what he learned. He was in France a couple of days ago and visited Paris for the first time earlier this year so that helped him communicate better.

Comment

Expat and Stirly - this is a serious question. What language do you dream in?

Comment

tawnyfrog;933291 wrote: Expat and Stirly - this is a serious question. What language do you dream in?
                        Depends on who I'm talking to in my dreams. If it's someone from back home - English. If it's a family member or friend from here - Greek. Why do you ask Tawny? Is it really a serious question??

Comment

Yes - it was serious Stirly. I didn't learn to speak English until I was 11 and it probably wasn't until I was about 20 that I realised I was dreaming in English. That 'realisation' has always fascinated me.

Comment

tawnyfrog;933295 wrote: Yes - it was serious Stirly. I didn't learn to speak English until I was 11 and it probably wasn't until I was about 20 that I realised I was dreaming in English. That 'realisation' has always fascinated me.
                            That's interesting. I think after a while your brain gets so used to the language that you use on a daily basis that it comes more natural to you whether awake or asleep. And as I said, for me, it depends on who I'm talking to in my dreams.
                            This doesn't have anything to do with dreaming but a while after we moved over here, I decided that I needed to do something to help myself learn the Greek language better. I decided to start reading the interesting and easier parts of the newspaper - like the social column for example. Something that was written in everyday language and not full of political jargon and such. Sat there with a dictionary at hand and looked up all the words I didn't know. It was a slow process but it worked. About the same time I also decided to train myself to think in the language, even if it was just in broken Greek. When I was cooking for example I would tell myself the recipe and the procedure in Greek. It really helped a lot to become quicker at speaking the language because at some point my brain stopped the translation process, the language just came naturally to me. I'll admit that at some point I really had to stop and think to remember seldom used English words and phrases because I was so immersed in the Greek language.
                            Just out of curiosity Tawny, which language did you learn first?

Comment

Good morning Army

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                              I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Working...
                              X