Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Army Thread 13 August 2010

stirly-girly;933297 wrote:
    Just out of curiosity Tawny, which language did you learn first?
    I cannot answer zat question because I zink I vill be shott.

When I think back on how quickly I learned to speak English, I wish all parents would encourage their kids to learn another lingo at an early age. 11 year-old brains are giant sponges.

Sorry - didn't mean to interrupt the Army flow but was curious nevertheless. Thanks, Stirly. Have an excellent day!

Comment

O i forgot happy friday the 13th :-)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Another busy day for me, but hopefully be back in the afternnoon.keep safe,sober & sane , laters

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

tawnyfrog;933302 wrote: I cannot answer zat question because I zink I vill be shott.

When I think back on how quickly I learned to speak English, I wish all parents would encourage their kids to learn another lingo at an early age. 11 year-old brains are giant sponges.

Sorry - didn't mean to interrupt the Army flow but was curious nevertheless. Thanks, Stirly. Have an excellent day!
          Actually I had a conversation with Tips about young children learning second languages. Our younger son was 3 years and 7 months old when we moved here and older son 6 years and 2 months old. Older son had already finished kindergarten and grade one together in his first year at school in Canada but because he didn't know Greek language when we moved here, he had to start over again at grade one. My husband gave him a crash course in Greek over the summer and we insisted that we speak Greek as much as possible among ourselves whether at home or out with friends. My Greek was very limited but I had learned some basic things like colours, numbers, body parts, articles of clothing, food, etc. so that I would be able to communicate with people about the everyday basic things. Older son started school and I helped him with his homework which helped me learn the basics of the language as well. He finished grade one right along with his classmates and got very good marks in all subjects. I would say at that point that his vocabulary was probably about 85% of what the other kids his age spoke. Younger son on the other hand, learned from TV and from the kids in the neighbourhood and of course when his brother's friends from school would come over and our friends kids that they played with on the weekends. His vocabulary equaled that of other 4+ year-old children about 6 months after we moved here. The younger children are introduced to a second language, the faster they learn it. Research says that younger children who know at least two languages are more intelligent. Their brains get trained from very early on to work harder. I have also read that kids that take piano lessons from an early age are better at mathematics.
          Lesson over. Continue having a lovely day....
          For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
          AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

mario;933300 wrote: Good morning Army
            Sorry Mario. I didn't see you there. A happy Friday the 13th to you too. Good on having a busy day. I'm having one myself but managed to pop in here a couple of times to post. Now I must be off and do some errands...catch up with you all later.
            For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
            AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Morning folks, I only speak one lingo, a broken Oirish version of the english language, be gorrah and to be sure to be sure....

Expat, I have a few ideas for days out with the kiddies, can PM you rather than bore the ass off of everyone here.
              Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Morning Guys,

Ktab, can you post here too coz I could use the ideas?

I would love my kids to learn another language.
                "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
                NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Morning Tips,Tawny,Xpat,Bandit,cirly wirly stirly girly,mario,KT and all those yet to drop by.

I can do 3 languages English, Geordie and shouting
                  It could be worse, I could be filing.
                  AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Morning ladies, Oney this is the link I sent Expat on spec cause not sure of their ages. But I think yours are too small as I reckon would be too scary unless 12+

St. Michan's Church - Dublin - Reviews of St. Michan's Church - TripAdvisor

Comment

Hi all,

I hope yo are all well.

I actually speak fluent English, German, Polish and Czech
                      I was 19 when I arrived in Australia. Few years ago I was amazed when I caught myself thinking in English and now majority of times I think/dream in that language.
                      I will never lose my accent though

All the best,

Netty - monkey
                      We are your friends. You don't need to be alone again. So come along.

Comment

KTAB;933325 wrote: Morning ladies, Oney this is the link I sent Expat on spec cause not sure of their ages. But I think yours are too small as I reckon would be too scary unless 12+

St. Michan's Church - Dublin - Reviews of St. Michan's Church - TripAdvisor
                        Adam would LOVE that, he is ten! Thanks a million!

AF 10th May 2010
                        NF 12th May 2010

Comment

network;933326 wrote: Hi all,

I hope yo are all well.

I actually speak fluent English, German, Polish and Czech
                          I was 19 when I arrived in Australia. Few years ago I was amazed when I caught myself thinking in English and now majority of times I think/dream in that language.
                          I will never lose my accent though

All the best,

Netty - monkey
                          Hey Netters,

Good to see you on here. Ya clever shite ya! Would love to lave all those languages!

How is the quitting going?

AF 10th May 2010
                          NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Actually just asked DW she said younger kids would be fine. Oh and its only 4 yo-yos in, hows that for value.

Hi Netty :winkmonkey:

Comment

Oney,

Its going great, although I have huge headache/chest pains today.

I have never had chest pains before, I also feel out of place. I hope its my body cleaning itself.
                              I had awesome run in the morning. New track record for me (YAY).

Today I threw out butts from my ashtray. I did not want to do it before as I thought I might need this cigarette butts at some stage!!!! I know, I am gross. I really don't feel like smoking again. ODAT

Netters
                              We are your friends. You don't need to be alone again. So come along.

Comment

:hi: Netty and Oney,

I just love calling thme yo-yos, does that mean I speak Irish too
                                It could be worse, I could be filing.
                                AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Working...
                                X