Dry drunk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry drunk?

Thanks DG. Sometimes it seems impossible to escape alcohol...I resent the ads in magazines, the commercials on tv, the free bottle of wine advertised for weekend getaway packages...ugh! Today my insensitive step-father called me and asked me to pick him up a six pack...he knows I am not drinking. It all feels like too much some days but then I remind myself of all the people who are fighting this just like me. I hope I can lose the resentment and I agree, I need to find new activities so that I'm not focusing on what I'm "missing". :thanks:
    Holding on since February 2, 2010

Comment

Dry drunk?

Hold, if he's that insensitive, tell him to pick up his OWN damn poison. You don't need that stress, and temptation. BE selfish. Take care of YOU first.
      sigpic
      Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Dry drunk?

Some of us who are AF are tending to occasionally glamorize alcohol and how good it was for us. When I feel any resentment towards others who can drink without problems I try to remind myself that there is NOTHING good for ME in drinking. That way I can define my abstinence as indulgence & as taking good care of myself rather than as a deprivation. I am missing out on NOTHING positive. It is a little mind trick but sometimes just changing my perspective is helpful.
        I too dislike the term dry drunk. It could be used to explain or excuse all sorts of "normal" human emotions such as restlessness, boredom, anger, impulsiveness, envy, hunger, impatience, etc. I think it is better, at least for me, to embrace the feelings, acknowledge them, and then see what positive thing can be done to change or if not to accept that I am a human and not a saint.

Comment

Working...
        X