Just saw Michael Douglas on Letterman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...he seems pretty up beat about his stage 4 throat cancer diagnosis after 'years of drinking and smoking'.

Good luck to him, he's only 65. I think he was a pretty hardcore alkie and smoker at one point.

It serves me as a good reminder of why I've chosen this life. I'm not a health nut, but I really do enjoy feeling healthy and that I'm looking after myself as well as possible, most of the time. Obviously I'm not going to live forever and don't expect to - but the thought of slowly killing yourself out of addiction is terrifying now that I can look at it from the other side.

Good luck to all of us
    AF since Sunday 27th June 2010
    One Day At A Time

Trying to be the best mother, daughter and friend that I can be.

I agree Mrs D - I cant believe the denial I was in for years! Convincing myself that by eating healthily and exercising it gave me carte blanche to pour vasts amounts of poisonous alcohol done my throat!

They just announced that in the Uk 15,000 people died a year following incidents involving alcohol (not illness! incidents) and 1 million are treated in hospital emergency rooms.
    "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
    AF - JAN 1st 2010
    NF - May 1996

Comment

I thought the same thing when I heard about him being ill - hope he comes through, he seems like a decent guy.

I heard an interesting piece on the radio today, on one of the main Irish morning chat shows. A guy had emailed in asking for advice, that he'd slept with his friend's wife last week when they went out, and he didn't know what to do now. Most people were telling him to say nothing etc etc, but no one, not even the radio presenter (Ray D'arcy, for Irish folk here) called any attention to the role AL had played in getting him into this situation - no one said "you'd want to take a look at how much you're drinking if that's what's happening on a night out", or something along those lines.

The more AF time I get (and I'm very early days, I know), the more our attitude to AL bothers me. No one seems to ever think about what it does to us, how much harm it causes our bodies and our lives - unless you're drinking a couple of bottles of something every day or end up homeless, people don't seem to regard it as a serious issue.

Rant over!!!
      AF since 13th July 2010
      NF since 5th July 2010

Comment

It's a very bleak diagnosis Douglas has received. And just from what I've read over the years, his entire family has been plagued with substance abuse. His son was found to be using his 'celebrity' status to carry massive amounts of drugs from coast to coast, to sell to his famous friends. His brother died of an OD not long ago. His first wife left him because he was a serial cheater. Excess has a cost. And when we're faced with it we try to bargain our way out of it.
        I had a young tenant applicant tell me yesterday when I mentioned the 'no smoking' rule, when she had quit, because of her breast cancer. She's doing well, but said she offered God ANYTHING to let her live.
        I hope Douglas does well with this. 'I told you so's' arent necessary at that point.
        sigpic
        Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
        awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

I m so grateful that I have stopped drinking and smoking.. Just hope that it's not too late for me.
          Be strong-
          We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
          Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

I know what you mean, Rebirth - sometimes I freak myself out thinking of all the booze and cigarettes and I panic. But, what's done is done. Got to concentrate on doing what's best for my body now, trying to eat well (and kick the sugar!) and look after myself. I read one of Louise L Hay's books about the power of positive thinking, and it actually helped me deal with those thoughts a bit - recognising the power of our thoughts on our bodies. Maybe it's time to re-read it!
            AF since 13th July 2010
            NF since 5th July 2010

Comment

As a cancer survivor I wish him the best......
              I love my family more than alcohol.:h
              Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Mama, you amaze me the more I get to know you - here's a hug :l
                AF since 13th July 2010
                NF since 5th July 2010

Comment

wow mama bear! You made me gulp!I am so happy to hear that you are a cancer survivor. I am petitrified of cancer. Thats all you hear these days..
                  Be strong-
                  We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.

Comment

neart. you quit alcohol AND cigarettes at the SAME time??? You rock girl!
                    Be strong-

Comment

I read that and it startled me into calling the doc - Ive been dealing with reflux for years and had throat problems but nothing showed up thank God - course that didn't stop me from being stupid. In any event I'm day 3 free (would have been 5 if I hadnt screwed up on Sunday) and havent had a ciggie in over a year. But the throat feels irritated and has been for a while - I just didn't notice much. Now that I'm not drinking I noticed. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers when I see the doc.

Comment

QT, hope you get good word.
                        sigpic
                        Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                        awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

First of all, I'm not saying his drinking and smoking had nothing to do with his cancer.....but he is also a self-proclaimed sex addict. I read an article about him and throat cancer today, and it said there has been a major increase in this type of cancer in the last few years. Reason being?......HPV......a sexual transmitted disease.

I will post the link for anyone who is interested.

Comment

I too am a cancer survivor and I wish he and his family much comfort and healing at this time. Cancer is not an easy diagnosis to take and the treatment is challenging at best.

When cancer is brought into the limelight it is good to reflect on our own personal lifestyles and what we can do to improve and live more healthy, body, mind an spirit. But, I will also add that no matter who it is that is diagnosed, I see no reason to slam the person or what we might know, have read or heard. No one "deserves" cancer. Just my thoughts!
                            A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Well said Kate! I lot a people like to slam other people by what they "READ" or "HEAR" when they don't even know the whole story, it could have been his smoking or his drinking or something else, we all know where we are heading with our bad habits, who knows what was the real reason and like you said no one "deserves" cancer, and I do hope he comes out of this well.
                              "The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes

Comment

Working...
                              X