Just saw Michael Douglas on Letterman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a cancer survivor too...Interesting that there's a few of us here.
    Tomorrow's another day.

Comment

Here's how I beat Copenhagen. I started at age 15 and quit at age 30. During that time was high school, college and the Marines. During the Gulf War we all consumed out tobacco 24/7. Couple years later I'm cutting the grass and had a daydream of my then 4ish yr old daughter at a high school locker telling her girlfriend how her dad died of throat cancer........within a few weeks I through it out and haven't touched it in 14 years......just proper motovation! And I looooooved my Copenhagen.....now it's dead to me!
      Symbols!

Comment

I just want to add my experience with cancer.

My mother had breast cancer twice, 15 years apart.

I have also had two friends who died of lung cancer and they never smoked nor were they in a situation that had them in second hand smoke.

It is not up to us to judge who "deserves" it because of their lifestyle.

I am sending prayers and hugs to Michael and his family. I hope his therapy cures him.

Rod Stewart is singing again after his throat cancer.

Life does end in one thing, no matter what we do or don't do.

Let's make the time we have on this planet the best it can be. That is what counts.

Cindi
        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Cinders;949903 wrote:

Let's make the time we have on this planet the best it can be. That is what counts.

Cindi
          Here here Cindi
          "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
          AF - JAN 1st 2010
          NF - May 1996

Comment

Logann916;949636 wrote: Well said Kate! I lot a people like to slam other people by what they "READ" or "HEAR" when they don't even know the whole story, it could have been his smoking or his drinking or something else, we all know where we are heading with our bad habits, who knows what was the real reason and like you said no one "deserves" cancer, and I do hope he comes out of this well.
            Didn't realize I 'slammed' anyone. Simply repeating what the man himself has said, in interviews. My only point was when it happens to a celebrity, it brings things to the public what everyone else goes through in private.
            My father was a heavy smoker and drinker. When he was sick, and dying, he said over and over, 'I did this to myself. Please don't let it happen to you'. And I certainly didn't remind him of his choices.
            This is a terribly private, painful matter. No one deserves a disease. But in fact some are predisposed to them, like my family. I'm not famous, though. Celebrities like Douglas, Farah Fawcett, Patrick Swayze, Michael J. Fox, Michael Landon, were strong enough to come out, talk frankly, to help others put faces on diseases we don't won't to talk about. And I admire that.
            sigpic
            Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
            awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

rubywillow;949909 wrote: Didn't realize I 'slammed' anyone. Simply repeating what the man himself has said, in interviews. My only point was when it happens to a celebrity, it brings things to the public what everyone else goes through in private.
              My father was a heavy smoker and drinker. When he was sick, and dying, he said over and over, 'I did this to myself. Please don't let it happen to you'. And I certainly didn't remind him of his choices.
              This is a terribly private, painful matter. No one deserves a disease. But in fact some are predisposed to them, like my family. I'm not famous, though. Celebrities like Douglas, Farah Fawcett, Patrick Swayze, Michael J. Fox, Michael Landon, were strong enough to come out, talk frankly, to help others put faces on diseases we don't won't to talk about. And I admire that.
              I agree Ruby - I didn't start this thread in a judgemental way - I was empathising and meant that his unfortunate plight has made me have a look at my own situation again
              AF since Sunday 27th June 2010
              One Day At A Time

Trying to be the best mother, daughter and friend that I can be.

Comment

Oh, Rubes, :l:l

I didn't think you slammed anyone, either.

At the end of my days, whatever happens, happens. I believe that about all of us.

You did not say anything wrong.

You only contribute positives.

Love,
                Cindi
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Exactly my point, Sheri. Our health depends on internal and external factors. I've a stong history of heart disease, strokes, and aneuryisms on my father's side, also alcoholism. On Momma's, it's cancer, heart, and mental problems. (Explains a lot about me, doesn't it??) So I KNOW the external factors I should avoid, and I know what I need to tell my doctor about, and to watch for. In my heavy handed way, that's what I was talking about. But my extended family's illnesses and death's have run the gamut from those I mentioned, from ALS to suicide. We just learn more about things as we get older, and sometimes, sadly, from celebrities.

BTW, I also thought of Yul Brynner, and remember the ads. VERY moving.
                  sigpic
                  awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Nah you guys are all right - don't think anyone is slamming him. Some people rough it up and live forever - look at Keith Richards - and some die without doing anything wrong to themselves. I'm keeping Mr. Douglas and family along with a bunch of other afflicted people I know who've either had or are in treatment for cancer in my prayers. I hate the disease. Have lost too many relatives and loved ones to it. BTW my test was ok this time. Thanks for the good thoughts and prayers.

Comment

That's good news QT - glad for you
                      One Day At A Time

Comment

Great news QT - so happy for you Re: people judging each other - I for one think that the best thing about this site is that it's so free of judgement - people accepting each other as they are, flaws and all, and getting on with it - it's why I've stayed and why I've been able to learn so much and have been given such wonderful support xx
                        AF since 13th July 2010
                        NF since 5th July 2010

Comment

No worries here, peeps. I welcome differing opinions, and I love Kate to pieces. We don't agree on all things, but that is the way friends are.
                          :hug: Kate!
                          sigpic

Comment

Ruby is right, there is no slamming meant. Just expressing my point of view, from several very personal experiences, including one with a very dear old friend who is currently fighting lung cancer. Please keep in mind that having a different point of view is NOT slamming, it is simply "a different point of view" or trying to expand a conversation.
                            A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

cool

Again, good luck to us all and all our friends and family.
                              One Day At A Time

Comment

Working...
                              X