Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekend Binger

Hi all,

Looking for advice. I am 40yrs of age, father of 3, work fulltime as an engineer. As is the case with many drinkers, I started with partying at 16 yrs old, through highschool, then even more in University, Always as weekend fun. Since my working career started, I kept to the weekend drinking, mostly beer, sometimes wine. I have missed the occasional work day, maybe twice in a year due to hangovers. Two years ago I went through a depression, burn-out, whatever label we want to use. I was not at work for 4 months, but then gradually returned. During that period, I was serious about getting better, so started taking anti-depressant, and quit drinking. As I got better, returned to work, am back to my old routine.

What scares me now, is I always seem to find reasons to drink on the weekends, and usually it is 12 beer or so in a sitting. During summer holidays, almost everyday. All my friends drink together, whether watching sports, camping, hanging out at the cottage, it seems the Al is incorporated into everything around me. I recently started attempting to drink moderately, but as soon as i get Al in the blood, that idea goes out the window, it's like all or nothing. The idea of having to have beer with me to have fun has been intrenched so deep in my psyche that I can't even imagine not having any at social events.

Anyway, my failure to go moderately this summer scares me a little, and I am concerned about the long term effects of binge drinking. I read stuff about the meds on this site, does anyone feel that these would help me or do i need a shrink? Don't know how to get over it.

Weekend Binger

Hi Magicone,
    welcome to a great place.
    i think you're doing the right thing by coming here & asking for help, something blokes don't do as a rule. so good stuff first up!
    i've tried the topamax but it didn't work for me.
    i've tried the kudzu & am finding it great if i remember to actually take them!
    others are on different meds so go to that thread under "Topamax etc" & ask some queries there, also others will reply as they come on board remembering diff time zones etc!
    i think a lot of us are too ashamed to go to a doc & ask for scripts...depends really on your relationship with your GP.
    i think for me coming on here & just talking & reading is helping me in no end of ways.

Comment

Weekend Binger

Hi Magicone,

Welcome to MWO, this is a good place.
      It's true, the program will work for you but you need to make the commitment. Heavy drinking every weekend will eventually catch up with you & cause health, relationship, financial problems, etc.
      Turning 40 is a milestone & a cue that you are no longer a youngster & need to start treating yourself better. You certainly want your 3 kids to have a healthy Dad, right?

The Hypnotherapy CDs were a blessing for me! They really do help you change your thinking about AL. Make yourself a good plan, use the CDs & supplements (if you like), make the commitment & go for it! Set a goal of 30 days - see how much better you feel at that point, you'll be amazed.

Wishing you the best on your journey!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
      X