Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Army thread 10th September

Typical bloke,
    Well I'm orrff to do me Bree impersonation, just as long as no-one opens a cupboard.
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

ok im sad. ive had my vitamin b and am only going to the white toilet, not the coloured one so i can see the lime green pee... oh get a life spuds
      Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
      Keep passing the open windows

Comment

Anyone any experience of AA? I am thinking of giving it a try again.
        Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

friend

startingover;955802 wrote: Good morning lovelies.
          Still dark here and quite chilly and I am surprised I have beat Tigger to the post !!

Yesterday we found out mums cancer has spread to her brain. She has started taking morphine now, so I am assuming things will happen quite quickly now? If anyone has any experience of this, can you please let me know?
          One wonderful thing thats happening is that all the difficulties in our relationship have vanished and we are closer than we have been for a long long time.
          Funny how life can be eh?

I am doing OK though, just taking things day by day.

Hope you are all ok xxx
          i starts and the rest of you fine folks,how old is your mom starts i think that might have a bearing on it,my nehew at 10 years old had a tumor,brain,went thro sick kids,he s alive,but the treatments he had were over whelming,at his age or any age,,he survived,he s not the same child tho,he s reached puberty 13,every day for him is a blessing,be strong,for you,i will say a prayer for your mom,and you gyco

Comment

KTAB;955938 wrote: Anyone any experience of AA? I am thinking of giving it a try again.
            KTAB - I started going when I quit in Jan and it definately helped me in the initial stages, the people there are amazing and like here when they share their stories you can SO relate and dont feel so alone. I dont go regularly but check in if im having a particularly bad day, not because im going to drink but the support just strengthens my resolve.

Are you stuggling or do you feel you now want to do the 12 steps?
            "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
            AF - JAN 1st 2010
            NF - May 1996

Comment

Hi Chilli, I am hungover, is the honest answer. I also feel maybe it is time to give AA a try again. I was wondering if anyone could explain the difference in the various AA meetings and where to start. I copied this from their website and am a little confused.

Open (O) AA Meetings – These meetings are open to ALL who may or may not have an alcoholic problem.
              Otherwise meetings are 'Closed' and restricted to alcoholics and those who have, or think they have, a drinking problem
              Step (S), Tradition (T) and Big Book (BB).

Comment

KT,
                I used to go to AA and hadn't got clue what the meetings were.
                Just found this, bit of a long read but I hope it helps.

Your First AA Meeting
                It could be worse, I could be filing.
                AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

KT,

Open meetings means anyone can come. Usually they are speaker meetings, where those who have long term sobriety stand up and tell their story of obtaining sobriety.

Close meetings are just for us alkies.

BB, Big Book meeting. At my AA groups, we each take turns reading a paragraph or so from the Big Book and discuss what it means to us. However, you can always pass if you don't want to read or share.

Steps, You read a step and discuss what it means. Most often people share how they did the Step and how it helped them.

Tradition, You read one of the chapters about the AA traditions and discuss why they are important. It is funny, because I always get more out of these than I think I will.

What is important to know, KT, you never have to share or do anything you feel uncomfortable with. It is good to start quietly and just listen, in my opinion.

Good luck!!
                    Cindi
                    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Thanks Cindi, any recommendation as to what might suit me best for a first meet? Meanwhile there is a heck of a lot of information online for me to look through.

Comment

KTab,

I would think a BB or Step meeting would be good for a start.

Or just a Closed Discussion meeting. Those are much less structured but if you listen to some of the old timers you will get a feel for what it takes.

If you don't like the group you find first, find another. AA groups come in many different flavors of personalities.

At some point you might want to get a sponsor but I personally wouldn't rush into it. Observe and listen at first. You will get a feel about where you will fit best and begin to understand what is at first very confusing.

Cindi
                        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Thanks again for your advice, I will look into it.

Comment

Speaking of vitamin B here is an interesting news item:

RT? News: Vitamin B could put off Alzheimer's - study

Comment

Howdie again,

Been gone all day, only sitting downnow and have a BB marathon to get thru tonight.

Starty, my thoughts are with you hob#n.

Ktab, well done mate.....x
                              "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
                              NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Hey guys
                                Thanks for all the good wishes it really helps
                                Hows trix?
                                Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                                Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Working...
                                X