Here I Go Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here I Go Again

Not sure how to do this, but I'll have a go.

Doggygirl;957615 wrote: Ladyjan, sorry I misunderstood your post. I too had a very difficult time getting back on the wagon after my relapse. It wasn't really an issue of not wanting to be honest about it. For me, it was an issue of having immense difficulty gettig back on the wagon. I just couldn't do it for 8 months. If I relapse again, I have no idea if I WILL be able to get back on the wagon.

That is why I am so strong in my opinion that drinking, of any amount, is not some insignificant event. Sometimes people drink and are able to get back on the wagon right away. But other times, not so much. Many alcoholics DIE after relapsing and not being able to stop again.

That is why I am so very passionate about taking "slips" very seriously. They ARE serious. We don't always like to believe that, but the road to an alkie death starts with one drink.

You won't get any dishonesty from me and you won't get any "that little slip is OK" from me either. That's just me.

DG
    DG can you please help me to understand something about my own drinking style. I can slip up and total myself and be right back on track the next day. It can be a long time between slips but usually happens when I am overtired, unwell and hurt by something or someone. I don't think about AL much normally and then something triggers me and I'm a gonner.
    I am really proud of myself today though. I am exhausted from a really heavy week and had the worst headache yesterday and today. I made an effort to be kind to a friend who snubbed me publically because I haven't been to see her in 5 days. This would usually be enough in my present very fragile state to push me over the edge but I thought of all the support and encouragement here and squashed that plan. I have lost the urge.
    Sometimes I binge for a couple of days, but that's about it. Can you please offer some insight?
    Mish:thanks:
    :h Mish :h
    sigpic
    Never give up...
    GET UP!!!

AF since 25th November, 2011

What might have been is an abstraction
    Remaining a perpetual possibility
    Only in a world of speculation.
    What might have been and what has been
    Point to one end, which is always present. T.S. Eliot

Comment

Here I Go Again

Hey Mishmash, I'm sure DG will get back to you but just butting in with my tuppence worth. I reckon there are different types of drinkers the same there are different types of smokers. I only needed one cigarette after 5 years off them and I was back on 20 a day whereas my sister just has the odd one when she is having a drink and can go weeks without thinking of a smoke. Even within this site, some folks talk about binging at weekends and not drinking during the week, others only drink evenings and others, like I used to, drank morning noon and night. And well done on not drinking after your friend was mean. Exactly the same thing happened to me when I started here. A friend snubbed me at her MIL's funeral cos I hadn't been in touch - she was one of my 'drinking' mates, and unlike you I fell straight into a bottle, and like DG says, every 'slip' is potentially such a serious thing, it took me from April last year until Nov/Dec to get out of the bottle - nearly lost my marriage in that period of time! Sorry for interrupting, I know DG will be wiser about types of drinkers, just associated with your post
      Molly
      Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
      contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Working...
      X