X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CAUTIONARY NEWS

Prosecutor: Man drank for hours before fatal crash

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 4:36 PM EDT

SANTA ANA, Calif. ? A man charged with murder in a drunken-driving crash that killed promising Los Angeles Angels pitcher Nick Adenhart and two others spent hours drinking tequila and beer with his stepbrother at three bars before getting behind the wheel of his parents' minivan, a prosecutor said Tuesday.

Andrew Gallo, 23, knew the dangers of driving under the influence because he was convicted of the offense in 2006 and signed court papers indicating he understood that if he killed someone while driving drunk he could be charged with murder, Deputy District Attorney Susan Price told jurors in her opening statement.

"The evidence will show that this case is about an evening of pure indulgence and a night of total disregard," Price said.

Gallo has pleaded not guilty to three counts of second-degree murder in the deaths of the 22-year-old Adenhart, 20-year-old Courtney Stewart and 25-year-old Henry Pearson.

He has also pleaded not guilty to felony hit-and-run and two counts of driving drunk and causing injuries to his stepbrother Raymond Rivera and the fourth person in the other car, Jon Wilhite.

Gallo's blood-alcohol level was nearly three times the legal limit at the time of the crash, prosecutors said. He could face a maximum sentence of more than 50 years to life in prison if convicted of all counts.

Gallo's attorney Jacqueline Goodman acknowledged in her opening statement that Gallo drove while intoxicated but stressed that he did not intend to kill anyone. Gallo believed his stepbrother, who pressured him to keep drinking, was his designated driver, she said.

Gallo blacked out before the accident and doesn't know why he was driving, although he assumes he was, she said.

"He did it and he has to live with that for the rest of his life," Goodman said. "But Andrew Gallo is not a murderer."

Prosecutors said they took the unusual step of charging Gallo with second-degree murder ? and not the lesser charge of manslaughter ? in part because of his prior drunken-driving conviction and because he was driving on a suspended license.

Jurors do not have the option of finding Gallo guilty of manslaughter if they decide to convict.

Goodman previously accused the district attorney's office of overcharging the case because of Adenhart's celebrity status. But Tuesday, the judge cut her off twice during her opening statement when she tried to introduce that concept to jurors.

After being admonished, Goodman advised jurors to closely examine the evidence.

"If those are the facts, you don't have a murder," she said. "If those are the facts, then you'll find that he did it, but your job is going to be to determine what 'it' is."

Adenhart's family was not present in court, but Stewart's family members dabbed their eyes during the testimony.

Michael Fell, an attorney hired to represent the privacy interests of the victims' families, said outside court they were angered by Goodman's remarks.

"Three of these families, three of these parents, they lost their children," Fell said. "The person that commits murder is the murderer. For him not to be classified as a murderer is offensive to the family."

Wilhite, the lone survivor from Adenhart's car, was not in court but posted a statement on a website where he offers updates on his recovery. Wilhite's skull was separated from his spine, a condition called internal decapitation that is usually fatal.

"Having a tough time with this all. Can't bring myself to be in the same room as the guy who caused ... my family so much pain. Please, don't mistake me not being there, as not caring," he wrote. "I'm not as tough as I put on to be, but will get through this because I have awesome group... of friends and family."

Data from the minivan showed Gallo accelerated from 55.9 mph to nearly 66 mph in the five seconds before the crash and took his foot off the accelerator one second before impact, Price said. The speed limit on the city street was 35 mph.

"Within seconds of the collision, the defendant turned to his stepbrother and said, 'Run, bitch, run,'" the prosecutor said. "Then he opened the door of the minivan and fled."

The first prosecution witness, Anaheim police homicide Detective Daron Wyatt, testified that he searched for the minivan driver as a crowd of about 60 people gathered and rescue crews worked to help the victims.

Wyatt broke down when asked to describe Courtney Stewart, whose body was pulled from the mangled car as he watched. Pearson was also pronounced dead at the scene. Adenhart died later in surgery.

Stewart, a student and former cheerleader at California State University, Fullerton, did not have any external injuries on her body, Wyatt said.

"She was beautiful," he said, adding later that Stewart "looked like she was asleep."

Witness Randy Nunez said he was parked nearby when he heard a loud crash and watched as a man later identified as Gallo got out of the driver's side of the minivan and began walking away.

Nunez said he followed the man in his car because he realized he was fleeing.

"When I got across the street, he was standing there," Nunez recalled, appearing to choke up. "I just wanted to tell him, 'don't do it.' We locked stares for a couple of seconds. He walked away. I followed. I lost him in the crowd."

Police later arrested Gallo on the side of a freeway two miles from the accident scene. Several witnesses who testified, including Nunez, identified Gallo as the minivan driver.

Outside court, Price said it wasn't true that Gallo's case was being handled differently because of Adenhart's status. She said her department has prosecuted 10 drunken-driving cases as murders since 2008.
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

CAUTIONARY NEWS

Sends shivers down your spine ...
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Comment

CAUTIONARY NEWS

That makes my blood boil.

"But Andrew Gallo is not a murderer."
      I disagree.

he was convicted of the offense in 2006 and signed court papers indicating he understood that if he killed someone while driving drunk he could be charged with murder
      No difference to his going around firing off a loaded gun. What an horrific story.
      Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

CAUTIONARY NEWS

This is infuriating! Good for them for prosecuting for murder. Exactly what it was.
        The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

CAUTIONARY NEWS

I don't want to keep sharing bad news, but as someone who has a problem with AL, and who HAS driven after drinking (in the past, never again!) some of these statistics bear printing. If they make ONE person pause, stop, not get behind the wheel, it's worth it. So many times, we lose our accountability when we drink; we feel 6 feet tall and bullet-proof. This is the sad evidence we're not:

Alcohol-related deaths in the US since 1982:

Total fatalities Alcohol-related
          fatalities

Year Number Number Percent

TOTAL AL RELATED
          1982 43,945 26,173 60
          1983 42,589 24,635 58
          1984 44,257 24,762 56
          1985 43,825 23,167 53
          1986 46,087 25,017 54
          1987 46,390 24,094 52
          1988 47,087 23,833 51
          1989 45,582 22,424 49
          1990 44,599 22,587 51
          1991 41,508 20,159 49
          1992 39,250 18,290 47
          1993 40,150 17,908 45
          1994 40,716 17,308 43
          1995 41,817 17,732 42
          1996 42,065 17,749 42
          1997 42,013 16,711 40
          1998 41,501 16,673 40
          1999 41,717 16,572 40
          2000 41,945 17,380 41
          2001 42,196 17,400 41
          2002 43,005 17,524 41
          2003 42,643 17,013 40
          2004 42,518 16,919 39
          2005 43,443 16,885 39
          2006 42,532 15,829 37
          2007 41,059 15,387 37
          2008 37,261 13,846 37

Drunk Driving: Is the Glass Half-Empty?
          By ERIC A. MORRIS
          Last post, I gave you the good news: in 1982 there were 1.64 alcohol-related road fatalities per 100 million miles driven, and in 2007 there were only 0.43. There are a number of reasons for this terrific achievement: publicity, education, harsher penalties, stricter enforcement, and economic incentives.

Time to toast in celebration? Not quite. Because the curious fact is there’s a remarkable disconnect in our perceptions of DUI. Most of us are quite happy to believe that we have drunk driving under control and that further tough measures are unnecessary. Yet at the very same time we witness drunk driving laws being broken all the time – including by ourselves.

There are over 75,000 bars in the United States. Last time you were in one, did you really believe that every person in the room was getting home via cab or designated driver?

The last time you threw a party did you and your friends sit around drinking chocolate milk? If not, did everybody sleep over that night?

And let’s be honest: how many times have you climbed behind the wheel after a couple? I know, you’ve never been pulled over, which makes it tempting to think you’re not a drunk driver. But according to Paul Zador, Sheila Krawchuk, and B. Moore, the average person who is caught driving drunk has already gotten away with it 87 times. How about you?

I know, I know, you and your party guests weren’t really “drunk.” But despite the fact that it’s comforting to believe that all is dandy as long as you’re below the legal limit, E.J.D. Ogden and Herbert Moskowitz point out that the legal definition of DUI is fundamentally misleading.

Any amount of alcohol impairs you. According to one study, a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.05, which you attain after two drinks (very roughly, depending on your weight), and which is well below the legal limit, leaves a person with about a 38 percent increased risk of crashing. So, in the year 2000 alone, an estimated 2,600 people were killed in accidents involving drivers who were intoxicated but not technically under the influence. (See this from Dexter Taylor, Ted Miller, and Kenya Cox.)

(A third drink roughly multiplies the crash risk by about 2.7; a fourth by almost 5. Things skyrocket from there. See this from Richard D. Blomberg, Raymond C. Peck, Herbert Moskowitz, Marcelline Burns and Dary Fiorentino.)

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, a person is killed by a drunk driver on average every 45 minutes. A person is injured on average every minute.

According to Taylor et al., in 2000 only about one in every 140 miles driven in the U.S. was traversed by a legally drunk driver. Yet in 2007, 31.6 percent of America’s 41,059 traffic deaths involved at least one person with a BAC over the limit. About three in every 10 of us will be involved in an alcohol-related crash at some point during our lives.

And these figures are almost certainly understatements, since police undoubtedly fail to detect the alcohol in many cases.

In part due to these fatalities and injuries, drunk driving crashes cost us over $114 billion in the year 2000 alone. In today’s dollars, that’s about two-and-a-half times what it cost us to bail out GM.

And to make this worse, Mothers Against Drunk Driving reports that 63 percent of drunk driving’s costs are borne by others besides the intoxicated drivers. For example, we all pay for drunk driving through higher car insurance premiums.

Ted R. Miller, Rebecca S. Spicer and David T. Levy estimated that each mile driven by someone with a BAC over 0.08 costs society about $5.48 (1999 dollars) vs. about $0.11 for each sober mile. These costs include “medical care, public programs (police, fire, emergency medical and emergency transport), property damage, future earnings and lost quality of life.” Taylor et al. have written that each drink consumed costs us about one dollar due to the increase in alcohol-related crashes.

Lest you think this carnage is inevitable, when it comes to DUI the United States fares very poorly compared to other nations. The percentage of our fatal crashes which involve a drunk driver (as opposed to only sober parties) is higher than that of every other industrialized nation for which I’ve seen data, with the lone exception of Canada. As of 2004, the Japanese rate was about one-third of ours and the British rate about one-half. See this from the WHO and the World Bank.

(Then again, while we’re more likely to mix alcohol and driving, the Brits are far more likely to mix alcohol and watching soccer or going on holiday in Greece, which can also be pretty hazardous.)

The international comparisons show that we could be doing a lot more than we are, and last time I checked the Japanese and British civilizations hadn’t come crashing to the ground thanks to less drinking and driving. More could be done if we really had the willpower, and next time I’ll discuss some measures we could be taking. Then you can ask yourself the important question: how much am I really willing cut back on my partying to save lives?

Worldwide Drunk Driving Statistics
          A study conducted by World Health Organization indicates that 1 out of every 50 deaths are caused by road accidents. Road accidents account for the most number of deaths after childhood infections and AIDS. Traffic crashes take lives of around 1.2 million drivers, passengers, and pedestrians every year. Read more on drunk driving articles.

The drunk driving statistics presented above give us an idea about the seriousness of this global problem. It won't take much to save millions of lives that are lost every year, given that we follow the simple rules prescribed by the government. So the next time you think of driving after drinking, don't, lest you become part of the statistics above.
          sigpic
          awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

CAUTIONARY NEWS

Great (and sobering) information. I am so ashamed of all the times I have driven after drinking. It is a sheer miracle that I never hurt anyone or got a DUI. How messed up am/was I that I put more value on getting drunk than I did on protecting the lives of other people on the road.

No more. I swear there will be no more of this for me.

Comment

CAUTIONARY NEWS

Same for me.

newstart32;959845 wrote: Great (and sobering) information. I am so ashamed of all the times I have driven after drinking. It is a sheer miracle that I never hurt anyone or got a DUI. How messed up am/was I that I put more value on getting drunk than I did on protecting the lives of other people on the road.

No more. I swear there will be no more of this for me.
              I only ever injured one person, but it was him that was drunk, but all the costs, legalities, risks of going dow, do pale in comparison with possible killing somebody else.

Comment

CAUTIONARY NEWS

Welcome, Brady. So many of us have only our Higher Spirit to thank that we were spared the horror of that legacy. AL robs us of inihibition, and, in the US especially, automobiles are like an appendage. They become deadly weapons when we abuse the privilege.
                sigpic

Comment

CAUTIONARY NEWS

I am so grateful that I no longer drink, and that I never killed anyone when I did. I used to think I didn't drive drunk but that is far from the truth. I pray to God I never pick up a drink ever again.

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                  Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

CAUTIONARY NEWS

I must have had an angel sitting on my shoulder when i drove after drinking, God thinking of it puts the fear of God in me.
                    WHAT was i ever thinking!!!!
                    Or more to the truth i wasn't thinking.I have to be grateful that i never had an accident or hurt anyone in my insanity of alcohol...but i do understand there one of the "yets"

Comment

CAUTIONARY NEWS

Also, so many drive the day AFTER a big drinking episode. I don't know the facts on this, but was told that when we go to sleep, full of AL, all our body processing slows down tremendously, and when we wake, much is still there. So though after a loopy Sunday we sleep, where are we really on Monday morning, when we get up, quickly and painfully get ready, and drive to work? Are we sober? We haven't had a drink, but how much is left in our bloodstream, and what is our BAC? It doesn't really matter what the number says; we are still impaired, and still responsible for our actions. Give it some thought, please.
                      sigpic

Comment

CAUTIONARY NEWS

The one and only time I drove under the influence was morning after, 10am and I crashed my vehicle involving other people. Reading definitely over the limit and I definitely was not in control, even though I tried pretending otherwise.

Comment

CAUTIONARY NEWS

Ukblonde;962668 wrote: The one and only time I drove under the influence was morning after, 10am and I crashed my vehicle involving other people. Reading definitely over the limit and I definitely was not in control, even though I tried pretending otherwise.
                          In SA it is common for people to drive under the influence - out of hundreds of people I have known, all have driven over the limit and or under the influence. We don't use designated drivers here except for very serious drinking occassions.

However, most people don't have the concentration problems I have, and so have not written off 4 cars - nobody else ever involved though, lucky enough.

Comment

Working...
                          X