Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antabuse

Hi everyone..........
    I would just like to ask about your experience or knowledge regarding antabuse. I am seriously planning on asking my Doctor for a prescription. I am seeing her tomorrow when I go in with my husband for his appointment. She will ask me how I am doing. I would like to have some information before I go in.
    So far my liver tests have come back ok. Thankfully.
    How hard is Antabuse on the liver?
    How long does a person normally stay on Antabuse?
    Side effects?
    Drug interactions?
    I do have low thyroid. Can I still take Antabuse?
    I'm taking Effexor XR. Can I still take Antabuse?

I think for me that if I take the possibility of a drink out of the equation, it will help me get started on a new lifestyle.

I appreciate any help that anyone can offer me.
    "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
    AF - 7-27-15

Antabuse

Hi Nora,
    Sorry know absolutely nothing about antabuse, but I just wanted to say how much I admire you. Whenever you hit a bump in the road, you look over the things you have done, go back and tweak your plan and then have another bash at it.

Don't give up on giving up, Nora.:l

J x
    :l
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Antabuse

let me know Nora...I may join u on the antabuse journey...
      K9 and Over It really like it!!!
      I love my family more than alcohol.:h
      Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Antabuse

Hi Nora, sorry, just saw this, I'm only in from work. I don't know an awful lot but this is my experience. I had no side effects whatsoever, don't know about drug interactions cos I wasn't taking any at the time. My understanding about the liver part is that it is a little punishing, but if your liver is healthy it is no problem, the problem arises if you drink when Antabuse is in your system - then it hammers the liver. I only took it for 2 -3 weeks but I think you can take it indefinitely. Also the last time I was down with doc a couple of weeks ago he said I could take one if I reckoned I had a challenging time coming up, so you don't have to take them every day or anything. I hope I'm correct in what I'm saying but this was my experience and the advice I was given.
        I echo what JC says, you are willing to do heaps to tackle this bloody burden we've been dumped with, you are inspiring!
        Molly
        Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
        contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Antabuse

Thanks everyone. I have already talked with K9 via PM. She was very helpful. I am hoping to get a prescription. I'll keep you posted.
          AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Antabuse

Hi Nora.
            I took Antabuse for the first nine months of my sobriety and found it an excellent deterent. Taking it meant that I couldn't drink. Simple. It gave me the breathing space I needed to re-evaluate my lifestyle and to think...really think, with a clear and sober mind, about how I could change my situation for the better.
            The only worry for me was that if I decided to plan ahead, I could stop taking the tablets and be able to drink after about ten days. However, I found that these silly thoughts would pass after an hour or so and I could see and feel my situation improving on a daily basis. I made a point of setting a special 'medication alarm' that went of the same time every night and I quickly fell into the routine of taking my pills and looking forward to doing so in the knowledge that I would be sober the next time the alarm went off. I have a lot of silly little tricks and routines like that.
            As for side effects, the only one I found was a much better and deeper sleep, but this could be because I wasn't drinking.
            I'd recommend it wholeheartedly.
            Good luck.

Comment

Antabuse

Paul - Thank you! That is what I was thinking. I spend way too much time playing the game in my head on a daily basis. I am really hoping that getting off of that merry go round for a while will help me make positive life style changes. And put them permanently in place.
              I mentioned it to my husband tonight so that he wouldn't be completely taken aback tomorrow. I do plan to bring it up to the Doctor while we are there. If she is open to it, I will make my own appointment with her to follow up to get my prescription.
              I'm nervous.
              AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Antabuse

keep me posted....may try it myself
                I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Antabuse

I love Popeye's routine about setting the alarm. I do the same thing! I set my calendar on my cell phone so that everyday at 3:00pm I get reminded. For some reason 3:00pm works for me, because that's usually when I'd start planning which liquor store to stop at on the way home. I can't recommend Antabuse highly enough, I can credit my previous 160 AF days to it. This time I'm sticking too it, even when I feel like I don't need it anymore, because obviously I do!
                  :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Antabuse

I got my prescription called in today. She didn't even make me wait & make my own appointment. She just did it during the appointment for my husband. I'm going to start going down on the Topamax just to be safe. She wasn't positive that it was necessary. I'll pick up my prescription and talk to the pharmacist and get another opinion. I'm pretty excited.
                    Thanks for all the input. :thanks:
                    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Antabuse

Hi Nora!!!

Great post by Popeye, btw. Nora, I did alot of my own personal research of Antabuse too. I probably OVER analyzed it really!

Here is the article that made my mind up. This article stated exactly what I expected from it.

Antabuse-Disulfiram Facts for Alcoholism and Addiction

I am on my second go around with it. Its going very very well! The first time taking it I was scared, but this second time around I have no fear what so ever. I just know and accept that I cannot drink. It seems to be working very very well.

Im wishing you the very very best!! Please let us know how things go!!
                      I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

Antabuse

P.S. Nora...

This is my brain NOT on Antabuse....... Hmmm drinking sounds really really good now. Damn, I really want a glass of wine. Screw it, I think Im going to go buy some.

This is my brain ON Antabuse....... Oh Wow, Im taking Antabuse, so that means I cannot drink. Oh well, there is so many other things I need to get done. I think Im going to go to that new thrift shop and look for clothes for my son. I have the day off on Saturday, I wonder what I should plan to do? Oh thats right I need to go to the grocery store. Maybe I should start learning how to cook better a bit. Have to make sure I go to church on Sunday, need to get the laundry done so I can wear that dress......

You get the idea!! Best of luck to you in whatever works out for you Dear Nora!!!
                        I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X