cold turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cold turkey

hi all .... been drinking a lot but thinking of going ct tom know about vomit, shakes, sweats, hallucinations and so on got a prof inerview on tues 21st with a view to a resential stay ... been here b4 sure my life is not in danger if i just stop been there b4 just any advice b4 i get to profs ...... am able to just sweat it out no commintments for now just any suggestions will help because i am going to do this ...... just will be horrible .... not going to die ....... just any ideas to help next few days x
    I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round .... really love to watch them roll .... no longer riding on the merry-go-round ...... I just had to let it go

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans

cold turkey

Pom, I'm sorry you're suffering. Each of us has to find what works for us, individually. I went into treatment 3 years ago next month. It was a revealing, learning, cathartic, humbling experience. Did it take immediately? No. But the things I learned I still use, daily. The experience changed me, in the way I look at myself, and others.
    At least there you will get sober time, time to evaluate where you are headed now, and where you WANT to go, with your life. I find it interesting you mention dying twice. It's obvious, to me, you have realized you are on a deadly path right now. It's wonderful you are taking this step to save yourself, that you know you're not living the life you want.
    I SO wish there was a magic cure for our affliction. Those that don't have it don't understand how hard this is for us; see us as having a weak nature, uncaring about the pain we inflict on our loved ones. This is not so. We are addicted, to AL, the habit, the taste, the lifestyle. I don't know what I can tell you, just wish you well, and applaud you for being brave enough to get outside help. Keep us informed on your progress, OK? People here DO understand, and that is the beauty of this place.
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

cold turkey

thankyou
      I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round .... really love to watch them roll .... no longer riding on the merry-go-round ...... I just had to let it go

Comment

cold turkey

pompeyman;960568 wrote: hi all .... been drinking a lot but thinking of going ct tom know about vomit, shakes, sweats, hallucinations and so on got a prof inerview on tues 21st with a view to a resential stay ... been here b4 sure my life is not in danger if i just stop been there b4 just any advice b4 i get to profs ...... am able to just sweat it out no commintments for now just any suggestions will help because i am going to do this ...... just will be horrible .... not going to die ....... just any ideas to help next few days x
        My only advice to you is to see a doctor who will most likely prescribe a benzodiazepine (ativan or valium in the US) to get you through the first 2-3 days which are the most difficult. Quitting CT can be dangerous if you do it on your own.

This is an interesting read:

How To Treat Alcohol Withdrawals At Home

Another but a little technical:

http://www.doryanthes.info/Portable%...Withdrawal.pdf

I've done it on my own but looking back, it was not a wise thing to do. I do know what you are going through (way too many times), and believe me, I feel your pain.

I will tell you one thing from experience though, the more detoxes you go through, the worse each one gets - it's known as "kindling".

When I did quit CT, the following is what I experienced (and this is where the benzos help when prescribed):

sweats 3-4 days
        insomnia 3-4 days
        no appetite 2-3 days
        no hallucinations (did see what appeared to be spiders crawling on walls during inpatient twice though)
        shakes 7-10 days to completely go away
        severe anxiety 2-3 days

kept hydrated with Gatorade or ice water w/lemon
        heavy on vitamin B supplements (thiamin is very important)
        monitered my blood pressure and pulse every few hours but ready to go to the ER if my BP got too high (highly subjective on my part)

Some say candy or sweets help - did nothing to alleviate any of the symptoms for me

RV434
        Dean Wormer to Bluto (John Belushi) from the movie Animal House: "Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son."

Comment

cold turkey

i found out from my doc that i held down a nurse dont know if male or female .. didnt hurt them just thiught they were sending me to prison dont remember have ve been accepted onto poss res alc prog got interview next tues uk time ..... going to go cold turkey tom wont die will just suffer a bit, youve all been there shakes sweats hallucinations dispair, heh could go on ......got an appointment and time to tell them the help i need

Comment

cold turkey

Good luck, Pom. We'll be here for you. Lots, and lots, and lots of water, OK??
            sigpic
            Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
            awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

cold turkey

cant give you any more advice pompey, just wishing you the very very best of luck and strength with this. YOU CAN DO THIS!
              Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
              Keep passing the open windows

Comment

cold turkey

Seizures

pompeyman;960614 wrote: i found out from my doc that i held down a nurse dont know if male or female .. didnt hurt them just thiught they were sending me to prison dont remember have ve been accepted onto poss res alc prog got interview next tues uk time ..... going to go cold turkey tom wont die will just suffer a bit, youve all been there shakes sweats hallucinations dispair, heh could go on ......got an appointment and time to tell them the help i need
                I short course of Ativan or Valium wll make the shakes go away, but they will also help ensure you don't habe a seizure, end up in hospital, and miss your appointment. Librium also works but it makes you feel like a walking brick twice your body weight.

Comment

cold turkey

Bribery

RV434;960608 wrote:

Some say candy or sweets help - did nothing to alleviate any of the symptoms for me

RV434
                  You were supposed to give the nurse the sweets to give you a double dose, not eat the, :H

Comment

cold turkey

ta all it is clear i will not be admitted to hosp again thankfully i didnt hurt anyone have written a letter of apologsy still have an appointment with my key worker next tues think res is what is going to happen ,,,,, as have posted going to go cold turkey tom not in any danger i dont think but obv wont be good if any one wants to talk tom would be helpful my e mail is geoffreyhinton@yahoo.co.uk no is 07786894520 take care all of you am going ti go cold turkey tom going to be hard as you all know if you call or contact will do my best to be honest can call tonightbif you feel it will help

Comment

cold turkey

couldnt do it .... wds too bad felt unsafe ... had quarter bottle of wine helped but feel suicidal wont do it because of my kids ..... maybe i should listen to my doc and make this more of a long term plan .... it has been 30 years of abuse ....... appointment with alc counsellor on tues i think tho have lost paper wrote it on ...... ill find it !!!! going for a walk on plymouth hoe now ..... great place

Comment

cold turkey

dont really know who reads these posts but been to the local al person really nice guy he has referred me to the non res rehab centre 6 days a week (like beatles but that was 8) on 3 bottles of wine a day for week then 2 then one then abstinence we talked it all thro dangerous just o stop after 30 years of abuse he helped me see that so even tho i am now drinking ...... slowly .... it is to avoid wds plus must me a bit better know pompey lost last night be good to hear from anyone ....... got one bottle to drink tonight sticking to his plan 30 years is a long time and just to stop ..... as i have discovered is not really a healthy plan weird tho i just fantise about lemon ice cream which i dont even know exists s

Comment

cold turkey

Quite right. I get what I feel to ge life threatening withdrawals after quiting 12 beers a day for 4 days.

Comment

cold turkey

Dear One in need, no matter the level~

Based on my miserable experience, it is approached delicately on different levels.

Possibly, by coming here and speaking as well as unfolding to those you trust is a sign and symptom of help, no matter the level.

Excede to another level. Get the poison out of your body system , or else.
                            I know the extremes. I know ignoring those extremes and suffering not knowing what deliverence of the consequences feels like.

Shut down then what shuts you down. Discover and then discover deeper a higher idea.
                            Because then, you are in excellence.
                            You are home.

Ignore the ignorance that distorts, then you are in between worlds that I believe in my understanding is an ignorance to where you are in belonging.

Chose belonging in a way that you belong so simply.

I love you.
                            :notes:Theme2be

" Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them~everyday begin the task anew".-Saint Francis de Sales

Comment

Working...
                            X