• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is exactly why I'm frightened to take Antabuse

d
    Coco

Coco, many of my recipes call for wine, etc. Whenever possible, I substitute other ingredients. But I also have some allergies, so I ALWAYS know what's in something before I eat it.
    Not taking Antabuse, when you need it, because you MIGHT possibly mistakenly ingest some AL, is like throwing out the baby with the bath. At some point, whether it's the Antabuse, or something else, or just going cold turkey, you have to decide what works for you. I've never used it; taking any medication carries risks, so we have to figure out what works and make allowances for it. Like being a diabetic, there are some sacrifices we make to be healthy.
    PS: I'd like the recipe; I bet we could find a non-AL substitue ingredient!
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Oh my goodness! I am still going to talk to the Dr. today but I am just going to have to be very aware. I question people already because I'm vegetarian. Now, I'll have to question more thoroughly I guess.
      "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Hi Coco!
        I'm not sure that the icing would have had enough liquer in it to actually make you sick if you'd been on Antabuse. On one of my slips, the Antabuse was still in my body, and yes I was uncomfortable (flushed, elevated heartrate) but that was after several beers. I wouldn't let that one incident dissuade you from using Antabuse, if that is something you want to do. I'm re-starting mine today, the benefits definitely outweigh the risks IMO.
        :h
        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Maybe that's it - if you are taking it, you don't just dive into cakes of unknown origin... You must have to mentally prepare to question everything you ingest.
          Coco

Comment

K9...have you had any interactions with meds??? Do you get brain fuzz?/ I CANT take that...I told my hubs today I was considering it and he looked at me like I had grown a third head....
            I love my family more than alcohol.:h
            Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Hi Mama-
              I had no interactions with anything...except alcohol, of course. I continue to use my facial products, medications, perfume, etc. I also didn't experience any side effects with it, no extreme tiredness or mental fogginess. Since I re-started today, I will be taking 2 pills per day for 7 days, then go down to 1 per day.
              :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

My experience with Antabuse was that the amount of alcohol in that cake would have been unlikely to have affected me. On Christmas Day I had been taking it for about 10 days and my friends came up for a drink and one of them placed her glass where mine had been and before I knew it I had taken a glug of her wine, got a right fright but actually it had no effect on me, I also continued putting wine in food, sauces etc. never made any difference, but that was just my experience, some folk seem to have stronger reactions. Mama, also it had no effect on my brain!
                Molly
                Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Hi Coco!

Can I just share a few things with you?

I work at a country club where there is yummy oh so yummy food around me all the time.

I took an Antabuse pill yesterday and have very faithfully been taking them.

Today I had bowl of beer cheese soup. Soup made with beer. Yummy and no reaction.

I also have had a huge slice of bread pudding made with rum. No reaction.

I like to have fresh breath so I gargle at work with listerine many times a day. No reaction.

I cannot say that you would be different from me. I honestly have no idea. But my doctor did tell me it takes a full drink for the effects.

I dont know honey, you do what you think is best for you, but Im just sharing what has been my experience.

I like taking Antabuse! It keeps me sober, and that is so worth it to me!

Overit
                  I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

Thanks for all your input & here's the dreaded recipe!

Irish Whiskey Cake

1 (8.5 oz) yellow cake mix
                    1 (4 oz) package instant chocolate pudding mix
                    ? cup vegetable oil
                    ? cup water
                    ? cup Irish whiskey
                    ? cup Irish cream liqueur
                    4 eggs

Combine all ingredients, beat 2 minutes until smooth. Pour into greased and floured 10? bundt pan. Bake at 350 for 40 ? 50 minutes.

Irish Cream Icing

4 Tbsp Butter
                    3 ? Cups Confection?s sugar
                    ? cup Irish Cream liqueur

Beat all ingredients until smooth. Spread on cooled cake. (This will make more than enough ? you can probably ? the icing recipe and still be fine.)
                    Coco

Comment

ok...as soon as I can afford it...I AM GONNA DO IT....I dont want it in my medical records, so I will order from here....$82 for one month.....holy crap!!!

Comment

Thanks for the recipe, Coc. I'll put on my thinking cap for an ingredient substitute, but believe it is duluted so with the other ingredients to be negligible. For some people it is the taste that's the trigger. Not for me, but will always err on the side of caution! :H
                        sigpic
                        Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                        awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Mama Bear,

I heard that Goldpharma and 4Rx have much cheaper prices than River.

Comment

aha...will check that out
                            thanks girlfriend

Comment

Anything for you, baby! Love ya, honey.

Comment

Working...
                              X