I've been here a while but would like some support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Shelby. Just throwing in another post of support. If you are ready, you can do it.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi Shelby. Motivation and determination were the key drivers for me. Sounds like you are on your way. You have all of our support here. YES, you CAN do this!!!
      John
      AF since 7/13/2010

Comment

With the parties - Tell SOMEONE, the host, the person who offers you a drink, etc, that you can't drink tonite. Make up something if you have to. "I'm taking meds and I can't drink with them." I am taking an anti-inflammatory and am not supposed to drink while on it, so there are lots of innocent meds that you could theoretically be on. That way, someone knows you aren't drinking, and if you pick up a drink, they'll be like "wtf?"

Choose something else to drink so your hand is occupied. Something light, something yummy, drink lots of water, etc. Try to go WITH someone who also isn't drinking who can be your support buddy.

That's my 2 cents for getting through a party. And when you get home, all sober and successful, hug yourself and do a Happy Dance, because you DID IT!

I'm on your side, girl. :l
        Go before that fire there, at the altar of your heart
        That fire of who you really are and be consumed by it fully
        Surrender everything into the fire of that love until you are one with that love. You ARE that love.
        Tilak Pyle Altar of the Heart

Comment

Hiya Shelby, sorry that you are struggling but its great to see you posting !!!

Ditto to what the other lovely people have said ............ stick around and keep us posted :l
          sigpicXXX

Comment

I just wanted to thank everyone. I'm sorry I came on here pissed the other night:blush:
            I now have a few days under my belt and got the courage to come back. I'm not sure what my plan will be. I do intend to use the recommended excuses this week as I have a couple of social engagements planned. Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

Comment

hi Shelbysmiles, kudos on the courage to return and stay in the good fight. Gather your thoughts but don't stay 'planless' for long or the song of the siren will guide you near the rocks (if you're anything like I am).
              be well xxxx
              nosce te ipsum
              (Know Thyself)

Comment

Hi shelby!! Good to see you and I'm glad to see you asking for support! I consider skipping the socials while I developed a solid, cast iron plan. Time for the big girl pants.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...lan-41280.html

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html
                sigpic
                Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Hi Shelby, sending you all kinds of support!
                  "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Hello Shelby, sending lots of support your way. :l

RV
                    Dean Wormer to Bluto (John Belushi) from the movie Animal House: "Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son."

Comment

Hi Shelby, so nice to see you! Sorry to hear that you are struggling, this is not easy, not easy at all. I wish that all was needed to stop was "Atta Girls" and Love, we would put all the Rehab places out of business! But, like others have said, you need a solid plan, true comittment and a willingness to say no to social engagements until you are truly strong enough. Shelby, it is doable and well worth it!

Best Wishes on Your Success!
                      xx Kate
                      A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Extending my hands in support.
                        I need you as well.
                        It is good to see that you are planning ahead, if not just thinking about it.
                        I try to tell others about this site(they have no idea I still struggle) and it is impossible to explain.
                        It has to be experienced.

Please keep in touch~
                        :notes:Theme2be

" Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them~everyday begin the task anew".-Saint Francis de Sales

Comment

hi Shelby, good to see you back ... looks like we joined around the same time .... I'm working on getting my arse in gear as well so i hope we can help one another !!!
                          :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

I took everyone's advice and cleared my schedule for at least a month. I know I would have went into these gatherings with good intentions but I'm afraid I would end up drinking. I'm going to do 30 days. I would like for once to reach that goal!
                            Thanks for all the encouragement!

Comment

Hi Shelby!
                              Great to see you posting again.
                              Good on you for asking for help.
                              I remember the first time I did 30 days AF I was literally a hermit. I refused to even see my best friend as I knew I would go back to my old habits.
                              Do what ever it is will work for you.
                              D
                              "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Hey Shelby. For alot of us this is an ongoing battle. You are not alone, and wanting to stop is always a good start. Take care.
                                To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Working...
                                X