Non-Alcoholic Beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-Alcoholic Beer

Over here we have what I find a very pleasant 0% beer, Bavaria 0.0%. In 2009 I was AF for over 6 months, but blew half the money I could have saved on these babies. Erdinger Alkoholfrei is also a favourite of mine, but hard to come by.

Do you AF guys drink alcohol free beer, or feel it too close to real beer and a risk? For me it's just so much nicer than so many cooldrinks. Coke Zero eventually pushes my caffeine levels up; Appletiser and fruit juices become too acidic; and I feel the other softdrinks have unhealthy sugar levels after one or two.

Non-Alcoholic Beer

Brady, as in all things here, I find this is an individual choice. For some it's all about the taste. For other's the taste triggers cravings. This is really a big problem it seems with people, trying to find another drink they enjoy, and there are as many opinions as there are people here. What works for me personally, won't work for the next person, so we use a plan and the tools to find our path to sobriety.
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Non-Alcoholic Beer

Hi Brady, I have the odd AF beer, it seems to work for me, although I don't bother with it as much as I did in the first couple of weeks. As Ruby says, it's an individual thing. For some people, it really doesn't work, it's too close to AL and many avoid it. Take care!
      AF since 13th July 2010
      NF since 5th July 2010

Comment

Non-Alcoholic Beer

Yeah some would say you're just falling back into the old habit through association - I know of people who drink the same amount of non-al beers (or more) as they used to drink alcoholic versions. Some would say this is them desperately trying to mimic the buzz. This could also set off cravings.

Personally I enjoy the odd Becks Blue - sometimes when watching the football as I do miss the taste of a cold beer occasionally (but then my problem was necking litres of spirits so it's pretty different!). Some people use it as a way not to feel left out at a BBQ or something as well.

If it isn't causing you problems then go ahead - just recognise any warning signals like increased cravings.
        K x
        Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Non-Alcoholic Beer

Kimberley;963343 wrote: Yeah some would say you're just falling back into the old habit through association - I know of people who drink the same amount of non-al beers (or more) as they used to drink alcoholic versions. Some would say this is them desperately trying to mimic the buzz. This could also set off cravings.
          Yes, I found myself drinking the AF beers very fast. Although I always drank beer very fast, I think I was subconciously missing something and trying another one quickly. All they while though, the only thing that gave me a mild "craving" (I was in a betting shop) was seeing a man with a glass of whisky on the rocks. It wasn't so much a craving as missing the taste.
          Kimberley;963343 wrote:

Personally I enjoy the odd Becks Blue - sometimes when watching the football as I do miss the taste of a cold beer occasionally (but then my problem was necking litres of spirits so it's pretty different!). Some people use it as a way not to feel left out at a BBQ or something as well.

If it isn't causing you problems then go ahead - just recognise any warning signals like increased cravings.
          K x
          I just use it as something to drink. Until I can kick the habit of always having a drink, something I've have had long before drinking became a problem, I need something that isn't sugary, full of caffeine like my favourite, Coke Zero, or full of acid like Appletiser or fruit juices.

:thanks:

Comment

Non-Alcoholic Beer

Hi Brad,
            Could you try gradually substituting it with a variety of soft drinks. My personal favourite is Old Jamaica ginger beer (diet version) - that really gives me a kick. I have also reverted to some childhood favourites (just because) like cream soda and cherryade There is a huge range of these drinks (also sugar free) in the supermarket.

Or if you're feeling a less childish than me, what about fizzy flavoured waters - these are really nice and you can get things like peach, elderflower, everything - or I sometimes make my own with carbonated water and lemon or lime juice (not sweet at all, but can be an acquired taste).

Or of course, a nice cup of tea
            Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Non-Alcoholic Beer

Hi Kimberly,
              We don't have too many sugar free soft drinks here, but I do love Coke Zero, except I'm trying to minimise caffeine during my first AF week or so. I would kill for a sugar free cream soda, the apparently weird SA variety that is green.

I have yet to find a flavoured fizzy water that I can stomach, but maybe I must look again. Regardless of sugar content, all the ones I've tasted have had a sickly sweet taste.

I'm going to have to find alternatives though, I just found out yesterday my favourite AF beer, Bavaria 0.0%, is nearly twice the price of regular beer.

Comment

Non-Alcoholic Beer

Erdinger do a nice AF beer, and so do Paulaner. You could always get a fizzy water, and a slice of lemon or lime in it? Then it's not sweet.

I don't like soft drinks, so it's something I've struggled with too. Let me know how it goes!
                AF since 13th July 2010
                NF since 5th July 2010

Comment

Non-Alcoholic Beer

Elderflower? What is that?
                  Go before that fire there, at the altar of your heart
                  That fire of who you really are and be consumed by it fully
                  Surrender everything into the fire of that love until you are one with that love. You ARE that love.
                  Tilak Pyle Altar of the Heart

Comment

Non-Alcoholic Beer

PhoenixRising;963974 wrote: Elderflower? What is that?
                    elderflower & elderberry cordial, syrup & mixed drink recipes | elderberries.com

Its quite nice. I have a couple of huge bushes in my garden with very ripe berries, I might try making a batch this year.
                    Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Non-Alcoholic Beer

KTAB;963979 wrote: elderflower & elderberry cordial, syrup & mixed drink recipes | elderberries.com

Its quite nice. I have a couple of huge bushes in my garden with very ripe berries, I might try making a batch this year.
                      Awesome! I planted 4 elderberry bushes this year for the birds (and maybe some jam for moi). How fun!
                      Go before that fire there, at the altar of your heart
                      That fire of who you really are and be consumed by it fully
                      Surrender everything into the fire of that love until you are one with that love. You ARE that love.
                      Tilak Pyle Altar of the Heart

Comment

Working...
                      X