SSSUUUUUGGGGGGAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRR!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

:yeahthat: represents the MASSIVE sugar craving I am expereiencing at the moment. Don't know whether it's just stress or whether it's related to lack of alcohol.

When anyone else has one of these, what do they do? I don't really want to give into it as I believe that just perpetuates the whole thing in the end...

I have already gone for a walk and anyway now it's 10pm over here. Any clues here, before I start eating my cherry flavoured lip gloss?? (I have no real cherries, and anyway I think it's chocklit my body really wants).

Ta,
    K x
    Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Dried fruit??

Carob??

Diet coke??

Fruit smoothie??

My personal favorite though is Reeses Peanut Butter cakes ...... the perfect chocolate and protein combination :H:H

Seriously though, most alcoholic beverages have so much sugar that it takes some time for our bodies to adjust. I reckon that some "healthy" sugar (in the form of fructose and with a little processing as possible) is better than feeling miserable and exposing oneself to the risk of giving in to the beast.
    Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

There are different opinions on this, but IMHO, a bit of chocolate (just a BIT, mind you) is OK, since our bodies try to regulate from the loss of the sugar it was used to. I never ate sweets when drinking, but craved them SERIOUSLY when I stopped. Now, I occasionally have them, just the way 'normal' people do. Again, our thinking brain hasn't connected to our body for a while, and once it does, cravings should get back to where they should be.
      sigpic
      Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

And ditto Miss! :H
        sigpic
        awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

I keep a stash of miniature dark chocolates-bite sized and 1 or2 usually does the trick or a cup of Earl Grey tea with sweetn'low in it.
          It's always YOUR choice!

Comment

I'm battling the sugar monster too. I'm going to start keeping the L-Glut close at hand for awhile. I have no idea if there is really a scientific connection, but it's so much like AL for me. A little is never enough. If I stay off of it altogether, I get OK with that. But just a small bit seems to unleash the monster.

Oy. I hear ya.

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Also- Breyer's has lo-carb ice-cream and that's pretty tasty-I actually like it better than the sugary kind. Peanut butter, too-a tablespoon or two.
              It's always YOUR choice!

Comment

This thread unleashed my peanut butter craving ......... just had a thick spreading of it on toast :H:H
                Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

I know- I just had a piece of dark chocolate...!
                  It's always YOUR choice!

Comment

There's a delicious no-sugar/low fat ice cream here called Blue Bell, in a ton of dif flavors, styles. I have that without guilt!
                    sigpic

Comment

Hahaha - sorry guys!!! Didn't mean to unleash your sugar demons too!

Thanks for all the suggestions. Yeah I am trying to ditch the sugar entirely, like you, DG. I do believe it perpetuates the craving in the end and I am also trying to lose a bit of weight and eat clean (low carb, non-processed).

So far I have made myself a cup of coffee with cream and have had several ciggies (yes, yes, I know). Gawd, I hope that doesn't release anyone's nicotine monsters!

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

All I know is that when I first quit drinking I could not quit eating chocolate for 9 days straight......
                        So what I did was just started loading up on protien and soon enough all the sugar cravings went away!
                        Thank God....

Comment

Arggh I am battling with sugar cravings too! I was hoping to have lost weight but eat the stuff like there's no tomorrow. i was never as bad as this before and I hate the weight I have put on!
                          Cant help there. sigh
                          Be strong-
                          We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
                          Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

havefaith;965603 wrote: All I know is that when I first quit drinking I could not quit eating chocolate for 9 days straight......
                            So what I did was just started loading up on protien and soon enough all the sugar cravings went away!
                            Thank God....
                            I've found that protein powders/shakes designed for exercise recovery like this one really help curb both sugar and AL cravings. Seems to take about 1/2 hour to kick in, but once it does I'm all good.

These formulations usually have glutamine as a primary ingredient, but they also have a ton of other good amino acids and other good stuff like enzymes that optimize digestion/absorption.

Comment

Hmmm, I have nothing like this in the house unfortunately Holding. I think both proteins and fats are helpful for beating sugar cravings probably, but I don't like to eat for a few hours before bed either.

I have just made a cinnamon tea (and am having another ciggy) and am hoping this will hold me. I am just getting over the flu, which I think is making it worse. I don't usually have sugar, but I did have some Lemsips which are basically paracetamol and sugar

Recovery Videos

Comment

Working...
                              X