You don't get cured of an addiction...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to Aaron Sorkin, “West Wing” creator/writer and writer of the upcoming film “The Social Network" (about the Facebook creators), he should be dead about five times over by now (due to his cocaine addiction).

“I did things that should have killed me,” Sorkin says in an interview.”My life didn't fall apart before I got into rehab. I didn’t lose my job or run over a kid or injure anyone when I was high"

“But the hardest thing I do every day is not take cocaine. *You don’t get cured of addiction – you’re just in remission.”*
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

I agree completely.
    Enlightened by MWO

Comment

I agree too.
      I am an addict, with an addictive personality. Its who I am and the key to living happily and successfully is how I manage it.
      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

well you can phrase it anyway you like, hi my name is bugz and I'm a non practicing alcoholic!

Comment

beatle;966428 wrote: *You don’t get cured of addiction – you’re just in remission.”*
          yep I really like that, it's so true, much better than "I'm a recovering alcoholic"
          coz for me the term recovering means:- coming out of, getting better and there's a chance of full recovery.
          But in reality we all know it will always be there once we hit the alcoholic level of "addiction"..
          we are in remission, it's dormant and can be provoked alive again, with just one drink...fact..

and before the mods jump in and shout "that's not true one drink won't make me drink heavily again"
          Please remember I mean those of us that have reached that deep dark hell hole of addicted to alcohol.
          And that maybe they should bear in mind one of the famous traits of an alcoholic is DENIAL.....

Good post Beagle...thx

Comment

I have been told by an addictions counsellor that even if you don't drink for years, the disease continues to progress and that subsequent drinking will find you at a whole new level of addiction. It will be as if you never stopped as regards the progress of the disease.
            :h Mish :h
            sigpic
            Never give up...
            GET UP!!!

AF since 25th November, 2011

What might have been is an abstraction
            Remaining a perpetual possibility
            Only in a world of speculation.
            What might have been and what has been
            Point to one end, which is always present. T.S. Eliot

Comment

interesting

beatle;966428 wrote: According to Aaron Sorkin, ?West Wing? creator/writer and writer of the upcoming film ?The Social Network" (about the Facebook creators), he should be dead about five times over by now (due to his cocaine addiction).

?I did things that should have killed me,? Sorkin says in an interview.?My life didn't fall apart before I got into rehab. I didn?t lose my job or run over a kid or injure anyone when I was high"

?But the hardest thing I do every day is not take cocaine. *You don?t get cured of addiction ? you?re just in remission.?*
              interesting theory i guess my story was the total opposite,my life changed when i went thro rehab,i guess he never hit what some say is rock bottom,i didnt think i did,either,many ask what rock botom is,its death or in my case the will to live or why i would want to,live anymore,if you read what sorkin says,my life didnt fall apart,that is why he went to rehab in the 1st place,one should ask him if he would like to try a second time or a third,:thanks:gyco theres an old saying where i went if your back again it didnt work:goodjob::H

Comment

That's how I see it too Beatle (for me). Good quote.

DG
                Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Mishmash;966496 wrote: I have been told by an addictions counsellor that even if you don't drink for years, the disease continues to progress and that subsequent drinking will find you at a whole new level of addiction. It will be as if you never stopped as regards the progress of the disease.
                  Wow Mishmash - This is fascinating/chilling. So ifI started drinking after say 5 year of abstinence, my addiction would be as if I had never quit? Addiction is viral!!! Thanks for this info, I will keep it close on hand!
                  While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
                  Benjamin Franklin

Comment

not tonight;968166 wrote: Wow Mishmash - This is fascinating/chilling. So ifI started drinking after say 5 year of abstinence, my addiction would be as if I had never quit? Addiction is viral!!! Thanks for this info, I will keep it close on hand!
                    That seems to be confirmed by folks around here who have relapsed after years of sobriety. Also confirmed in my AA participation where people report that same thing if they drank after years of sobriety. Scary stuff.

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I see it somewhat differently.
                      I believe that having once reached the point of dependence and addiction one must realize that potential remains for relapse at any time. In other words we have shown our genetic vulnerability to this disease.
                      However I also believe that the "cure" for this addiction is 100% secure abstinence.
                      with permanent abstinence and time all the symptoms, signs, and progression of the disease diminish.
                      the genetic propensity to addiction is expressed in and environment of availability and use of the addictive substance. Therefore I am voluntarily choosing cure by choosing abstinence ie. creating a lifestyle (environment) t which doesn't include ingestion of alcohol.
                      Diabetics can and do "cure" their diabetes in many cases by diet and exercise programs. If they then reverse their lifestyle changes they will again express the disease. It does take work but it is truly worth it. I was on my way to the grave. I lost my brother last year and my sister didn't think I'd make it this year. What a difference! What a relief! Thanks to baclofen I don't feel, like Sorkin does, that this is particularly hard to maintain.
                      All the best
                      Sunny

Comment

When I had my drink last week everything was just the same, I drank the same way and was just as ill the next day.

Comment

Working...
                        X