Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strength Training. More Power to Us All.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone:

I wanted to share a few thoughts on another aspect of my exercise program. One that sadly seems to be overlooked, but in my own personal recovery of the very soul and sanity, has proved extremely powerful in it's effect. I am probably going to post a more in depth article, with supporting links and cross-references in Holistic Healing some day, but for now it's just some observations.

Weight lifting, or resistance type exercise is absolutely incredible in it's effect on my well-being. Much has been written on the benefits of aerobic or cardiovascular type exercise, such as walking, running, or bicycling. This has it's own special benefits for body and mind, but there is a distinct and often profound difference after a weights workout.

I had not hit the weight bench in several weeks, due to a ear infection earlier. I was falling into a state of general dissatisfaction, and frustrated ennui. This is a state of boredom, or restlessness, coupled often times with frustration and anxiety. A good run or bicycle run can often times purge these feelings, and powers out those feelings quickly. I want to describe some notable differences I feel after the resistance workout though.

So yesterday, I couldn?t stand it much more. There was tension in the muscles, an early manifestation, usually starting in the neck and back. You know the feeling, that often precedes an uncontrollable urge to drink. The feeling that you want to just crawl out of your own skin, and crawl into the depths of the bottle. Around noon, I resolved that it was time to grunt and groan, and pump those dumbbells and other weights. Some of these feelings may be particular to males, due to testosterone in the tissues and nervous system, but I have it on good note, that females have a similar situation, and it may be due to fluctuations of their particular hormonal system.

Arriving at home, I dosed with my pre-workout supplements. They are a ?stack? of l-glutamine powder (a MWO recommended amino acid), and creatine (which is a muscle cell constituent, not related to any alcohol craving metabolism, as far as I know.) I wait an hour or so for the supplements to make it into the system, and mentally prepare for the workout. I do this by reading some books on body building, that are scientific in nature, and not the usual over-wrought hype. My favorite is Strength Training Anatomy by Frederic Delavier. It is rich in illustration, with emphasis on the actual mechanics of isolating muscle groups and fibers. The art work in it, is nothing short of astounding. A lot of good hard information in that book.

I go through my usual routine, hitting the major groups in the arms, legs, back, and abdominals. Of course it is not comfortable, but the very act of my brain forcing the muscle into failure (the burn as it?s called), somehow discharges all those frustrations, the anger, the boredom, and most of all the anxiety into the limbs of the body. I am sure to keep hydrating throughout the workout, as the fluids in the body shift and flow into the muscles. The lymphatic systems are stressed as well, and those fluids are pumped by the strain and release. This is so incredibly healing, that I can?t emphasize it enough. I always take a quick look in the mirror, for some well deserved self-admiration as the biceps, quads, pectorals, etc. are all now pumped with blood and swollen. The boost to the self-image is great, and has an equally profound effect on the psyche and sub-conscious. This is sorely needed by anyone who has gone though the self-loathing that the addicted drinker experiences. I know it all too well. It just feels damn good to like the sober, aware, and strong reflection in the mirror.

A long hot shower follows the workout, and this seems to aid the overall feeling of well being after the exercise session is over. Sleep comes better, and in a different way than you get after the aerobic workout. Again, this is something that a drinker finds great difficulty with.

The next day, today for me, everything is better. I have my s**t together (as it were), and thinking is clearer. Emotions are far more stable. I am happier. Just that one-hour of straining, and groaning, with a little pain has hours and hours of overall benefit that follow.

All it takes to start is a simple dumbbell set. For less than the cost of a bottle of good wine or Scotch, you can get something that lasts for years of benefit. Think about it.

There are so many other benefits to strength training, but I?ll cut it short here. For the recovering drinker, it just has such benefits, that I must convey. I?ll try to get started on that article this weekend.

Be well.

Neil

G'Day Neil

Yup, I find an hour of strainin' and groanin' does it for me too.
    :k TheKanga

Comment

Neil,
      this is so true.

I reckon its the wholistic approach that RJ has got spot on. I think its a mixture of
      your attitude (determination)
      what you eat
      how/what you do for exercise
      how you deal with the crap in your brain.

Only tackling one of the above is only tackling a portion of the problem. I had such a similar experience to you just now.. and I went to the gym.. now, I didnt want to go.. had to nearly drag myself there.. but now i've done it, I"m just fine.. so I can now continue to deal with the rest of my 'stuff'.

Brigid

Comment

Great post, Neil.
        I know this sounds girlie, but my 10#dumbbells are almost starting to feel light. Awesome feeling! Gotta go buy my 12's.
        Thanks for the inspiration. You are doing GREAT, buff bro.

Comment

Working...
        X