alternitive meds for depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have recently read the book "the mood cure" and "the way up from down" and wanted to see if anyone else had good results with taking the amino acids described in them?

if anyone has tried it and have had good results from it,could you tell me what kind of vitamins and amino acids you started on and if l-tryptophan made a difference in your mood? also if its possible to take the l-tyrosine and 5-htp together in the morning then l-tryptophan at night.i have since been on 5 different anti-depressant meds and realized that it just doesnt work for me,or like the side effects.iam kinda at the point where my depression is ruining everything in my life.

Depression.....it's a medical condition. My father had it, I have it. My meds help me cope. When things get better....I'll get off them. Alternative things are something I don't want to play around with....Tony
    ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
    those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
    Dr. Seuss

Comment

Cadogan - is that the book by David Burns? I was just curious - what meds have you been on and for how long? If that is the right book, I know it is popular but have never used their recommendations. I am on celexa and found it to be really good - as Tony said, it is a medical condition. I assume that you have talked to a doc? I understand how depression can ruin your life (been there) but if the chemicals in your brain aren't working, I can't think that amino acids can help. Maybe I am wrong, but there are lots of different meds out there and some of them can take about 6 weeks to kick in - mine did. I still remember the day - to the hour - when mine did!

Hang in there Cadogan.

sun xx
      How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

the mood cure book was by julia ross and the way up from down was by dr.slagle.i have been on prozac and wellbutrin for 6 months at one point.then i tried paxil and zoloft.i felt more energy from being on them,but i just couldnt stand the side effects.from what i researched about l-tryptophan was that it was proscribed by doctors before prozac became mainstream.

i guess it really comes down to trial and error,but i was trying to see if anyone has had success with just amino acids.

Comment

Hi Cadogan, I'm afraid I haven't tried the amino acids I also am on AD's - Lexapro 20mgs. I find them absolutely brilliant - I realise now that this is the first time in maybe 10 yrs that I haven't been depressed. Different things work for different folks. I would be very interested tho in what you are talking about, if for no other reason my AD's cost me nearly 100 euros a month! What side effects did you suffer from with the AD's? I don't appear to have any. I will have a look in the library for those books and will come back to you when I'm more knowledgeable. I'm sure like everything else here there will be SOMEBODY on the site who has tried what you are talking about!
          Molly
          Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
          contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

I LOVED Paxil, but after 15 years changed recently Effexor....it's somewhat sedating, but that's it....
            the side effects fade after time and you should try to hang in there if the depression is that bad....remember suicide is a side effect of depression.....
            much love and strength
            I love my family more than alcohol.:h
            Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

my girlfriend is on 10mg of lexapro,but she takes it more for anxiety than depression problems.it works really good for her as well.the side effects that i didnt like were kind of like euphoric/anxiety feeling in my chest when i took a deep breath or yawned.it just didnt feel right to me.the other one was when i was taking prozac.i would yawn and get this strange feeling from my jaw to my brain.i dont know what it was but,it just made me want to stop completley.

i just felt drugged up more than i felt normal.i had a free health plan through the state when i was taking zoloft.here was a good article i found about the different amino acids,and how they work for depression and addrenal problems:

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...cure-5231.html

also reading the reviews on "the mood cure" from amazon gives me more hope that its something worth trying.its not cheap but just something new to try.

Comment

I take celexa same chemically as lexapro. I was prescribed for panic attacks and PTSD. I did try a few other SSRI's but the lexapro/celexa rx was the best for me. Like any other drug, one needs to see what works best for them. Best of luck!
                Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

cadogan;967583 wrote: i have recently read the book "the mood cure" and "the way up from down" and wanted to see if anyone else had good results with taking the amino acids described in them?

if anyone has tried it and have had good results from it,could you tell me what kind of vitamins and amino acids you started on and if l-tryptophan made a difference in your mood? also if its possible to take the l-tyrosine and 5-htp together in the morning then l-tryptophan at night.i have since been on 5 different anti-depressant meds and realized that it just doesnt work for me,or like the side effects.iam kinda at the point where my depression is ruining everything in my life.
                  Hi Cadogan,

Good on you for having a look at some alternatives, especially if the conventional meds arent helping. Personally I have waged a battle against schizophrenia with my son. He began with depresson/anxiety/substance abuse at around 17 years old. He gradually became psychotic and there began eight years of absolute for him and his family. I moved hell and earth for him and took him to dozens of doctors, psychiatrists, psychologists. The meds they put him turned him into a zombie wrapped ina chemical straight jacket. His life was slipping away from him day by day. In sheer desperation I started to research help through alternative methods. I studied the works of Dr. Abram Hoffer and D. Pfeiffer...two psychiatric pioneers from the U.S. There work has saved my son!!!!!!!! They treat any mental illness, including anxiety/depression and addiction with high doses of vitamins, especially B3 (niacin) and amino acids. They look at the whole person, adjust diet, treat allergies etc. I also treat my own depression/anxiety/panic disorder with the same regime. I urge you to read as much as you can...as you said they treated people with L-tryptophan long before other meds became available. I dont believe in the one size fits all method of dealing with this illness. If you can find a Doctor that deals with 'Orthomolecular Medicine" then I urge you to have a consultation. I took conventional meds myself over a fifteen year period. Prozac, Zoloft, Effexor, to name a few. Zoloft actaully made me feel like killing myself and the others, the side effects did not warrant taking them. My regime includes B3 and the aminos, tyrosine, GABA, L-Glutamine, and at times L-Tryptophan, as well as high does of Vitamin C, and B complex, Flaxseed OIl, Lecithin and others. My advice, is not to settle for second best, keep up your research and take charge of your own health.
                  I am a part of the family of humanity. Not one person on this earth is a stranger to me. Rev. Ted Noffs

Comment

sapphire1;967955 wrote: Hi Cadogan,

Good on you for having a look at some alternatives, especially if the conventional meds arent helping. Personally I have waged a battle against schizophrenia with my son. He began with depresson/anxiety/substance abuse at around 17 years old. He gradually became psychotic and there began eight years of absolute for him and his family. I moved hell and earth for him and took him to dozens of doctors, psychiatrists, psychologists. The meds they put him turned him into a zombie wrapped ina chemical straight jacket. His life was slipping away from him day by day. In sheer desperation I started to research help through alternative methods. I studied the works of Dr. Abram Hoffer and D. Pfeiffer...two psychiatric pioneers from the U.S. There work has saved my son!!!!!!!! They treat any mental illness, including anxiety/depression and addiction with high doses of vitamins, especially B3 (niacin) and amino acids. They look at the whole person, adjust diet, treat allergies etc. I also treat my own depression/anxiety/panic disorder with the same regime. I urge you to read as much as you can...as you said they treated people with L-tryptophan long before other meds became available. I dont believe in the one size fits all method of dealing with this illness. If you can find a Doctor that deals with 'Orthomolecular Medicine" then I urge you to have a consultation. I took conventional meds myself over a fifteen year period. Prozac, Zoloft, Effexor, to name a few. Zoloft actaully made me feel like killing myself and the others, the side effects did not warrant taking them. My regime includes B3 and the aminos, tyrosine, GABA, L-Glutamine, and at times L-Tryptophan, as well as high does of Vitamin C, and B complex, Flaxseed OIl, Lecithin and others. My advice, is not to settle for second best, keep up your research and take charge of your own health.
                    In answer to your original question about the combination that you are taking, I think that they would work together in that order. Remember it takes time for these things to build up to a therapeutic dose in your system so allow about six weeks to feel the optimum resulst. PM me if you would like a comphrehensive list of my regime.
                    I am a part of the family of humanity. Not one person on this earth is a stranger to me. Rev. Ted Noffs

Comment

Exercise is as effective as antidepressant pills in controlled studies on this disorder.
                      Good luck
                      Sunny

Comment

Sunnyvalenting;967964 wrote: Exercise is as effective as antidepressant pills in controlled studies on this disorder.
                        Good luck
                        Sunny
                        I agree wholeheartedly with that Sunny. I am an exercise physiologist and have seen the magical transformation with countless people when they add exercise to the mix. Cant rate it highly enoughI especially like bouts of high intensity exercise when the anxiety is worse. That combined with weight training can really help

Comment

mama bear;967784 wrote: I LOVED Paxil, but after 15 years changed recently Effexor....it's somewhat sedating, but that's it....
                          the side effects fade after time and you should try to hang in there if the depression is that bad....remember suicide is a side effect of depression.....
                          much love and strength
                          I don't find Effexor sedating at all, but suspect it was behind a tendency I was developing to pass out much quicker when I got drunk.

Comment

Working...
                          X