Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why does relapse one being sober for a long

Dear all,
    I am worrying to know that people are continuously breaking the ALfree life up again and again. Once they dehydrated them with hard effort, cleaning the body and mind up from alcohol for a long time, do people still have such a craving to alcohol ? ??
    Should we always focus our efforts to stop craving alcohol only?? If so we always be deprived from doing positive tasks, personal, economical and social development.
    Worried. ..!
    Kota
    If nature gives us lemon, we have a choice: either to cry or make lemonade.

:welcome: Hi Kota and welcome.

AL is the enemy and we are never going to be "cured" of our addiction. However, on MWO we are learning skills and getting encouragement from others who really understand the things we feel, because these feelings are common to all who suffer with dependency issues. Shame, guilt, disgust, revulsion at ourselves... here there is no judgement, accusation or unkindness. Only support, compassion, encouragement, empathy and love. :h
    There will be slips and relapses while we learn the skills, develop confidence and tackle the underlying issues that brought us here. We're a determined lot and we never Give up trying, but we Get up and keep trying.
    Best wishes, Kota, and keep posting.
    :h Mish :h
    sigpic
    Never give up...
    GET UP!!!

AF since 25th November, 2011

What might have been is an abstraction
    Remaining a perpetual possibility
    Only in a world of speculation.
    What might have been and what has been
    Point to one end, which is always present. T.S. Eliot

Comment

Kota, you are dead right. Stopping drinking is only a part of this whole thing, I discovered that a couple of times. After the initial period of sobriety, I think it is imperative to fill all the time we used to spend drinking with new things in other words - make a sober life. On my third attempt I am now investigating formal exercise, meditation, and resurrecting hobbies that I let go when I was drinking mainly because I couldn't be arsed and also because I just had no concentration. I have started reading again which was a big love of mine, and am 'muttering' about going back to my piano.
      I personally don't think it is 'cravings' per se. that causes folk to try alcohol after a lengthy period. I think it is just a big hole in our lives that needs filling and if we don't fill it with something else, it leaves SOOOOOO much room for the booze
      Molly
      Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
      contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Sorry Mish x-posted
        Molly
        Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
        contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Thanks dears,
          Yours opinion are great and be known that we should always be awarer for folks request in whole life!
          Do anybody have idea that how many % of people have been maintaining their sobriety once they stop drinking? Very curious and difficult question, isn't it?
          Thank you for your time and information.
          Kota

Comment

I can't help with what percentage maintains their sobriety, but focus on yourself 100%, make sobriety the most important thing in your life and I'm sure you will be in the percentage that make it.
            sigpic
            Never give up...
            GET UP!!!

Comment

Thank you Mismash,
              No worry about the percentage! I am just curious to know if someone has an information about it. Your thought to focus on ourselves rather than anyelse is the best way to be successful in any goal,task,determination. Thank you again.
              Kota

Comment

Yes focussing on others is generally something Alcoholics do to take attention away, or avoid their own situation.

I had a drink just because I wanted to. Call it self-harm perhaps, I just wanted to blow the roof off. I have however had to reel right back because of it in order to prevent myself falling back into the cycles I have so many times in the past - which is a place I'm not going to be going back to.

Comment

G'day Kota,

And lot's and lot's of people are giving up the drinking life successfully too. I have, and i love it. Of course, i need to remain positive, and healthy of mind, body, and spirit, but that's an enjoyable thing to do. The work i do to maintain my sobriety, is fun, and it is becoming a lifestyle, and something i want to do far more than drink.

The sober life can get better and better, and does, if we put the work in to change. Best wishes.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Hang in there UK.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Sheri, your post has hit the nail right on the head.
                      Kota, Sheri's post really puts the onus back on the individual's desire to be sober at the very deepest level.
                      Thanks Sheri.

Mish
                      sigpic
                      Never give up...
                      GET UP!!!

Comment

I fully agree with Sheri that drinking habits are related to others bad habits otherwise we do not have any cravings to it.
                        Some of them are as follows.
                        -do not get temptation to have new girl or boy friends.
                        -do not go to night club.
                        -never meet bad companys in pub etc.
                        -never keep you free from jobs,alcoholic should be nicer to be emplyee rather than employer so --that there is compulsion to perform the task.
                        -if you got depression take medicine rather than to be dependant in addition.
                        -if no works find the volunteer job.
                        -avoid sex addiction.
                        -alcohol addiction drags another addiction like smoking and gambling etc.

Finally damaging social and family life,ruining mental health and physical health, loosing job and business, waste of money. ..
                        You know I used to hire cab though I have my own car. What a shame? ?
                        Kota

Comment

Hello Kota,

I think Sheri?s post says it all and that is the attitude and frame of mind I am adopting; I am in my early days of being AF so this is something I am working on all the time to embed it as my natural way of thinking. I am curious to hear what your plan is to maintain your sobriety and how far along the AF path you are? It would be good to share what is working on a daily basis for you.

Good luck and I wish you well

Dewdrop :h
                          Enjoy today - there will be no other one quite like it....

Comment

Hi Dew,
                            Actually I still do not have any written plan to maintain my sobriety. I am now in 100% mood that I have to give up this addition anyhow. After joining this forum I have been able to stay sober in my working days which means 15 days in a month otherwise I was almost all got drunk. I conquered the habit to drink on the way to home finishing the job.that all by willing power no medication at all.I joined this forum 24th of last August. Definitely, I must plan for total relief. The activities I have now been doing are...
                            -reading books and leaflets related to alcoholism.
                            -stories of succeeful and enlighten people like Buddha,Jesus, Mahavir,Osho,Gandhi, Abraham linclon,books to relating positive thinking written by Shiva Kher You can win, books by osho new man, meditation etc.
                            This forum and AA also playing vital role to strengthen my self esteem.
                            I have finally decided to take baclofen as I know we need medication at initial stage to fight with the craving. Once we cleaned our body and mind up we can continue supplementary and use the forum like this and change the daily activities which are always against an addition. May be engazed in the project like that or launch a anti addition programme in the community.
                            Let's see, I must do it otherwise no life at all?
                            Kota

Comment

You know my mood goes up to 8/10 from 4/10 when I maintain my sobriety for three days only. I think I am not dependent on alcohol physically but mentally 90%.
                              This is my own perception. I never seek the assistant of physician as well.
                              Kota

Comment

Working...
                              X