Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

St Johns Wort

Hey Guys,

Can anyone tell me if they have taken St Johns Wort and if it worked for them?

I was prescribed it for depression as I did not want to go down the ant D route (having tried one before and hated the feeling).

I have been taking these for a month and am not sure whether or not my mood has improved?? But I have not really felt depressed at all.
    I am however plagued by vivid dreams, which can range from being a lesbian to being held hostage by a neighbour who wanted to draw all over me...I know it sounds funny but they are very vivid, very real and if I have a bad one, it affects me for the rest of the day.

I am considering giving up the St Johns Wort as sometimes the dreams seem too much but if it is doing me good (moodwise) maybe I should keep taking it??

Can anyone share their experirnce??

Thanks,

Oney x
    "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
    NF 12th May 2010

St Johns Wort

Hi Oney - Here's a link to Dr. Mercola's website. Here he talks about alternatives to anti d's (exercise, diet, etc.)

Why Antidepressants Dont Work

I've never taken SJW but I know what you mean about those wild dreams - I used to get them from the nicotine patches I used when I quit smoking. Disturbing.
    Coco

Comment

St Johns Wort

Hi Oney

I'm taking St Johns Wort, I can't tell you if they are working yet or not I as I only started a couple of weeks ago and to be honest missed quite a few days last week with drinking!!

But what is interesting I did have quite a few scary and vivid dreams, one where I murdered somebody, not sure who it was but I remember being at work and also my cat dissapeared 3 weeks ago and I dreamt I could see her crawling on her side over the yard in pain, her body/back legs smashed but her cute tiny face in tact!! Its only after reading your post I put two and two together!! The last time I dreamt this way was when I wore a nictoine patch.

I started taking them again yesterday so only day 2 but I will let you know!!

P xx
      Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Comment

St Johns Wort

Cross post Coco xx
        Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Comment

St Johns Wort

Oney,

I've been on St John's Wort for nearly 2 years & YES it has handled my anxiety & depression quite well. I didn't like the numb feeling ADs caused me.
          Vivid dreamming is kind of normal on this stuff - but I'd rather not be depressed.
          I had a dream a few nights ago that my Mother (dead for 24 years) told me she was pregnant!!!!! Yes, that was bizarre but it was just a reaction to a lot of stress I have going on around here these days. Both my daughter & DIL are pregnant right now & I've been longing to sit & have a nice, comforting chat with my Mom about a bunch of things.

I still choose to not be depressed
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

St Johns Wort

Hi Oney
            I have been taking it for a couple of days so I will give you a progress report...oh.Forgot to take one today. Argh its like remembering to take the pill!
            I generally have vivid bizarre dreams but will let you know if they increase.
            Be strong-
            We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
            Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

St Johns Wort

God Coco, I was FOREVER leaving my nicotine patches on and having nightmares, I am going to check out that link now because I prefer the natural route.

Panno, I totally get what you are saying, the dreams are OUT THERE....I honestly did have to question my sexuality after 3 days of boobs and ladybits in my dreams!!

Lavande, I would prefer not to be depressed if I am honest....and would much prefer something like SJW as I too, hated the feeling anti D's gave me....I wasn't myself, kinda like I was in a dream..hated it. Do you reckon if we are stressed our dreams are telling us stuff??

Rebirth and Panno keep me posted...as i said, I don't think I FEEL any different but the black feeling has not been around either...

AF 10th May 2010
              NF 12th May 2010

Comment

St Johns Wort

hi one ..... i did once get into st j w and it did actually help ..... i had to take more than they suggested for it to work but be careful cause once it made me come out in blisters but i was still drinking (surprise surprise) have to say tho it never made me feel like i was a lesbian ........ when im clean i might try it again .....!!!!! seriously tho when i took a bit more than was suggested it really did improve my mood .... and im an alcoholic sceptical scientist with 3 degrees ..... there is some thing in it BUT dont overdo it i really had horrible blisters all over my body ..... was drinking heavily at the time so just took too too much then went out in sun ...... try it carefully and consistently ... good luck PM x
                I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round .... really love to watch them roll .... no longer riding on the merry-go-round ...... I just had to let it go

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans

Comment

St Johns Wort

pompeyman;969867 wrote: hi one ..... i did once get into st j w and it did actually help ..... i had to take more than they suggested for it to work but be careful cause once it made me come out in blisters but i was still drinking (surprise surprise) have to say tho it never made me feel like i was a lesbian ........ when im clean i might try it again .....!!!!! seriously tho when i took a bit more than was suggested it really did improve my mood .... and im an alcoholic sceptical scientist with 3 degrees ..... there is some thing in it BUT dont overdo it i really had horrible blisters all over my body ..... was drinking heavily at the time so just took too too much then went out in sun ...... try it carefully and consistently ... good luck PM x
                  SJW like many SSRI's make many sensitive to sun exposure. They also interfere with the sleep cycle a bit due to there effect on melatonin in the body. Hope this helps!?!
                  Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

St Johns Wort

Zenstyle;969889 wrote: I started the SJW at the same time as Oney... I'd never had a drinking dream in my life until the last few weeks. And talk about bad behaviour! It must be my alter ego!

No sex dreams yet though... I'm waiting patiently. )
                    :H:H:H --- all good things come to those who wait!!!
                    Coco

Comment

St Johns Wort

No bleedin sun in ireland PM and techs, pretty safe there I think lol, actually PM, Zenners is on a higher dose thanme ...mine are only 300mg.

AF 10th May 2010
                      NF 12th May 2010

Comment

St Johns Wort

I don't get good dreams lol....being a lesbian and shagging Max branning is not a good dream.

They are VERY vivid....I remember every inch of them (pardon the pun)

AF 10th May 2010
                        NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Working...
                        X