tapering off beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tapering off beer

I was drinking 8-10 beers every night for around three or four months so I decided that instead of going cold turkey (which I tried numerous times and failed) I would taper down very slowly and see what happens. I started last Wednesday and am now down to five and a half beers a day. No significant withdrawal symptoms other then sleeping terrible. I would like to know if anyone out there has ever tapered off alcohol. I had 78 days four months ago but I went cold turkey and I felt horrible on day 78. Maybe by slowly weaning myself off I will feel better when I'm down to zero beers.

tapering off beer

You're a light weight compared to me and my hubby. We easily drank a 12 pack EACH, every day for a while. The first time I tried to quit they hospitalized me because they thought I had epilepsy. Nothing happened and I detoxed little side effects, tired, sweating but that was about it.

Joe and I have tried tapering, but drinking any we seem to get back to our old ways real easily.

I got Campral and it helped some. Drink lots of liquid! Drinking dehydrates you and a lot of the symptoms of withdrawal are caused by this. Plan alternatives to drinking, we get in a pattern and that's what we have to break.

The last time we detoxed at home, and after the first few days we were both okay. It's the habit that's the hardest. Don't think of not EVER drinking again, that cues you for failure, do take it you want to do 30 days. That's a goal you can obtain. Good luck hon

Comment

tapering off beer

Hi Robbie and Welcome!
      I drank a 12 pack every night for years. I found that I was unable to taper down. I finally had to admit that this problem was bigger than I am, so I ended up going to the doctor for Ativan to get me through the first few days of withdrawal. For me it is all or nothing. Let us know how you are doing!
      K9
      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

tapering off beer

hi robbie 61 .... dont know how old you are or your perception of your difficulty but it seems you have recognised a potential problem early ..... good ...... i wish i had ..... just fucking stop for a bit and get some advice about safe levels of social drinking ..... harts advice is really sound .... i have been hospialized, secured ,lost my family, dont see my kids, had all wds apart from fits and dts ..... its great you have got a handle on this so early in your dinking career .... just sort it while you still have some control .... all the best from good old england .... PM
        I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round .... really love to watch them roll .... no longer riding on the merry-go-round ...... I just had to let it go

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans

Comment

tapering off beer

Robbie,
          That amount of beers won't do you any favours, but going cold turkey won't kill you, either. I have tried over many years to "taper off" my horrific beer habit and guess what, it doesn't work. I might be a good boy and settle for 4 beers one night but the next night I'd go berserk and make up for lost time.

If you're worried about your beer intake, which you should be, you might want to consider trying Baclofen, which does an amazing job of neutralizing your appetite for booze.

Comment

Working...
          X