Struggling with a craving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had what seems like a three day craving for alcohol. It's really rough. I'm riding it out, but I don't understand why it isn't going away. I feel like the old "white knuckled" cliche right now.

I've had a couple of instances since I went AF in July where I'd want to drink for almost an entire day or so, but they went away. And not only is this one not going away, it's my strongest one I believe since I quit. Is this normal? I'm getting nervous. I'm feeling strong right now but I don't underestimate the power of the addiction and I'm worried about later. I was wondering if anyone could relate to this.
    Tomorrow's another day.

I can relate.

Have you eaten well today? Sometimes a full tummy can help ward off a monster craving.

Hang in there. You'll be glad that you did. :l

Tracy

?Our freedom can be measured by the number of things we can walk away from.?
    - Vernon Howard

Comment

Hi Bella, just wondering about your sugar and caffeine consumption? Are eating more sugar and drinking more caffeinated drinks than usual? I find that if I dont restrict these two, that my cravings kick in and I get this apprehensive feeling in my gut, that I used to associate with the need to drink. Are you eating a nutritious diet with lots of high complex carbs, and drinking enough water? If not, sugar levels will wax and wane and make you feel like drinking. Do you exercise? I find that I have to have all these things in place to keep cravings at bay. Also women tend to get more cravings with hormonal fluctuations. I hope these ideas are helpful...hang in there Bella, regards Saffy
      I am a part of the family of humanity. Not one person on this earth is a stranger to me. Rev. Ted Noffs

Comment

Hang in there! I also get terrible cravings, too. I really think for me it's just a chemical response that I miss whatever neurons are fired up when I have a drink. Really, it's going to be a matter of starving that response until it dies! I am determined to make it past those initial 30 days this time and do whatever it takes to get through the cravings. I have heard again and again that they do go away eventually! I'm going to have to take that on faith and go for it! Have a great AF evening.
        Every day do something that will inch you closer to a better tomorrow.:h

Comment

Hi Bella:

Are you familiar with HALT? I have seen other people post information on the 4 common triggers that can influence cravings:

Hungry
          Angry
          L
          onely
          T
          ired

Be mindful of these triggers and try to have a plan in place to be on the defensive. Best of luck to you...
          John
          AF since 7/13/2010

Comment

BellaC;972732 wrote: I've had what seems like a three day craving for alcohol. It's really rough. I'm riding it out, but I don't understand why it isn't going away. I feel like the old "white knuckled" cliche right now.

I've had a couple of instances since I went AF in July where I'd want to drink for almost an entire day or so, but they went away. And not only is this one not going away, it's my strongest one I believe since I quit. Is this normal? I'm getting nervous. I'm feeling strong right now but I don't underestimate the power of the addiction and I'm worried about later. I was wondering if anyone could relate to this.
            :goodjob:hi bella,what your xperiencing is quite normal,even after years of sobriety,you still get those feelings,some of the freinds i had in AA had quit for 30 years plus,and they use to say the ajitation is still there,off day they called it,thats why they kept going to meetings and had sponsors ,like here just so you could vent hope that makes sense hahha :thanks:gyco

Comment

Hi BellaC :l

Just wanted to drop by and let you know I am thinking of you and really hope you get past this because you have achieved so much. It's sobering to know that even with months and years under your belt people can still face those awful cravings and I guess better forewarned and forearmed. I wish you well and will keep an eye on your thread.

Masses of virtual support,

Dewdrop :h
              Enjoy today - there will be no other one quite like it....

Comment

Hi Bella,

Thinking about you and hoping that you are having a better day today.

Tracy

?Our freedom can be measured by the number of things we can walk away from.?
                - Vernon Howard

Comment

Working...
                X