Surgery ... sobriety ... blahness??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am curious whether anyone has any take on this. A little over a month ago I had an emergency appendectomy, then some complications.

For months I had been desperate to quit drinking and somehow just couldn't find it in myself to do it. I know this medical emergency was in that way truly a godsend. I was in the hospital for five days and when I got out certainly had no urge to drink.

But now, a month later, still sober, still no urge to drink ... but I overall feel absolute blahness ... that's the best way to describe it. I would say almost lack of affect. I love, intellectually, bieng sober, but I don't feel much energy or joy at life. Just kind of existing.

I have heard that surgery can result in depression, but I don't know if that's what's going on. I don't feel sadness or despair, just the blahs. I've been treated for depression for years and am still on an antidepressant, which finally should be getting a chance to work!

Am I feeling blah from quitting alcohol ... or a combination of that and the surgery ? ... sorry for rambling on ... any insights appreciated
    :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Hi Dexter

Thanks for your post. Interesting...

My take on it is that we somethings use AL to overcome boredom, we think it adds excitement and fun to our dreary lives. So when we take it away our lives feel empty and blah.

You need to create a new life for yourself. Plan an overseas trip or holiday, build something, join a community group and help others, start an excercise plan, look after an animal, things that are new and interesting that will bring renewed feelings, experiences, and colour to your life.

One of the threads I just finished reading was about a long term drinker who was on 3 bottles of wine+ a day, went through a huge struggle to finally quit, and after only a few days sober offered to help paint a pensioners flat and wash his curtains after 4 years of them being dirty. This is exactly the right thing to fill your time with. I am sure he feels so good now, much better than the empty buzz from drinking.

Its not helpful to dwell on the fact you feel blah for long. Take action now while your head is clear and you can cope with change in a positive way.

It does take that iinitial effort to make the first few steps forward, but the push is definately worth it in the long run.

Hope this helps
    H
    Allen Carr’s book changed everything for me. The easyway to control alcohol. Highly recommended

Comment

Hi Dexter.
      When I quit drinking I had plenty of ideas about how to improve my life; to make it more interesting, but the thought of actually getting up and out of the house and doing these things was quite unsettling. I'm not a people person and I often prefer doing things alone.
      I don't know if I suffer from depression but I do get really down at times, mostly thinking thoughts I can do little about, and these bouts can last for weeks and it's an effort to pull myself away from my own weaknesses and live to my strengths.
      For years, all I did was work, sleep and drink. Occasionally I'd summon up the will to take part in one activity or another, but that would only last a short time as drinking was my main getaway.
      Even now, or more accurately, up until recently, I'd arrange in my head a day up in the hills or a weekends camping or a workout session or whatever and I'd look forward to it until the day before, when I'd be feeling.....why bother? But I'd get up and go, and always be glad that I did. I really don't understand it. I have loads of energy and lots that I enjoy expending it upon, but there's often that stupor in my head that wants to talk me out of it. I've learned, by persistance more than anything else, how to get myself motivated and that by doing so I can get a great deal of joy out of very little.
      Having fun is vital to me.
      I work so that I can enjoy my days off. My kids are grown and have lives of their own and now that I've got a grip of my drinking I'm free to do exactly what I want, and I'm going to do it.
      I hope that makes sense to you.

Comment

Bear in mind that you have had abdominal surgery. It can take a bit of getting over.

I had a very similar incident, emergency surgery, several years ago.
        Afterwards you have to deal with the lack of mobility while you get well. But for me, it was the shock that I am not bulletproof. It didn't do my head any good at all. Sudden illness can befall anyone.

Add to that the life changing event of sobering up, and I think there's little doubt that you'd be experiencing at least some adjustment issues !

Where are you in your physical recovery ? Can you get out and have some fresh air and scenery changes ? The right people can be like a breath of fresh air too. It's the simple things.

Good luck Dexter.
        If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
        Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Dexter - I quit AL and was AF for 8 months and kept wondering when I would feel better! I was on Topa and put it down to that - so came off the Topa and stayed AF but still felt blah etc., and eventually started drinking again and then felt fine again. I was told that I hadn't adjusted to life without Al. It was suggested to me by my doc that I talked to a counsellor about it - still haven't done that by the way, but here I saw someone mention PAWS and a website - it was really interesting - unfortunately I cannot remember the website but if you Google it it should come up - when one has had AL in their life for so long, you have to learn to live without it and that is one heck of an adjustment. I never did adjust, so this next time when I am AF, I am going to have to try and adjust and look at life differently. Not everyone has this happen to them - just the lucky few I guess, but I sort of dread being Af as I know that I will have this to deal with. The PAWS is Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome - Why we don't get better immediately - check it out - it made a lot of sense to me. I am going to have to try different things but it will be worth it. i did feel better not drinking - just needed to obviously tweak a few things to get rid of the blahs!! Let me know how things go - and good luck! great news on the still not drinking too!

Hugs, Sun xx
          How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

It could also too be the general anesthesia and immobility/disruption of your life due to the surgery which sometimes takes awhile to recover from.
            I wonder if you are back to normal blood panels. Have you started back to normal activity? Are you stewing about the surgery and complication? All things you have likely considered.
            You are now "free to move about your life" and the responsibility can be a bit scary. I notice at times that I have occasional fall backs to incompetence which no longer applies. Recovery is not always a direct hop into bliss.
            Good luck in figuring this out. If it persists talk to your doc about it. Congrats on your abstinence
            Sunny

Comment

Working...
            X