girly wirly's toolbox.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

girly wirly's toolbox.

i wanted to write my own toolbox, but didn't want to do it on paper where any persons mentioned or related to the list could find it or feel hurt by it. so here it is in my safe haven.

reasons to drink.

to block out my constant self loathing over my weight.
    to block out abandonment issues as a child and as an adult.
    to block the pain i feel about my autistic child.

reasons not to drink.

drinking will not change ANY of the above.
    drinking is the cause of my weight. if i stop, i WILL lose weight.
    my marriage will be stronger, any arguments are always caused by drinking. i say nasty things when i'm drunk, just for the drama and attention. things i don't mean. and hurt him. why would i do this, i love my husband.
    to be a better mother to my two children. so they don't see the empty bottles on the bench in the morning. so mammy is not grouchy on a morning and impatient. so i put more effort in with my daughters autism.
    to stop feeding my depression.
    to stop feeding my anxiety.
    to keep my skin unblemished before its too late.
    to stop the feeling of guilt and self loathing that washes over me as soon as i open my eyes each day.
    to perform at my best ability in the job i love.
    to free my brain of this one track thinking. drink drink drink.
    to stop my diarrhea.
    to stop my stomach pains.
    stop the fuzzy parts of the day between waking and drinking.
    to be sure each time i drive i wont have al in my system from the night before.
    to save approx ?280 a month which would pay for an annual family holiday, or a car, or anything the kids want or need. i grumble about buying them new clothes but think nothing of blowing ?10 a day in wine and beer. WTF?
    to prevent liver or kidney damage or DEATH. should my kids lose their mother because i choose to drink every night?
    to learn to love real life again and live it.
    to be less selfish and be there for others who love me and help me everyday.

favourite al free drinks (any help with ideas would be good)
    tea
    coffee
    blackcurrant juice
    pomegranate and cranberry juice.
    diet cola.
    j20
    horlicks.

triggers

feeling sressed - have a jaccuzzi bath instead
    hating myself for my weight every day- i have to remember why this is!
    depression- remember what feeds it!
    time of day- around four o clock my resolve to not drink starts to wane and i find justifications to drink from around 8pm. eg "i've had a shitty day i DESERVE it.." how do i DESERVE all of the above? i DON'T. neither does anyone else.

other excuses to drink

"i haven't seen my hubby much, it'll be a nice cosy evening with a bottle of wine." when in reality, i'll fall asleep on the sofa plastered and he then has the arduous task of getting me to bed without getting a barrage of abuse.

a problem has arisen during the day. "i'll drink to relax/forget". in reality, it won't make the problem go away, it will still be ther and i'll be poorly to boot.

so thats it. my toolbox. my morning/tea time reading everyday. i'll add to it if i can think of more, as i'm sure there are lots more reasons to abstain. if anyone (if you've read this far, thankyou) has any tips or thought for me please post.

wow.... that was therapeutic!
    The mind will intellectualize it, the heart will emotionalize it, yet the gut never lies.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9/girly-wirly-s-toolbox-2-45452.html

girly wirly's toolbox.

Dear Girly,

I don't post much on this thread but I just wanted to say, I read all of your posts and you have contributed so much to so many people here, but this is the kindest and most insightful and inspirational post you have ever written. I thank you! And you and I share something....a battle with weight directly caused by alcohol. Thanks again!

Comment

girly wirly's toolbox.

GW, very honest and insightful. Thank you.
      sigpic
      Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

girly wirly's toolbox.

What a wonderful, honest and useful post, Girly. :l

I put together an inspiration file when I first stopped drinking, similar to yours plus quotes, poems, posts from here that resonated, etc. I also write down things I'm grateful for every Monday morning (put it in my calendar so I don't forget). Here are a few gems; they might be useful.

xoxo Pride

"Alcohol ravages time, energy, love, and money. Four things we can never have enough of."

"There are so many reasons to be sober and only one reason to drink - to be drunk, and I don't want to be drunk anymore."

"Complete abstinence is easier than perfect moderation."

"Avoid using cigarettes, alcohol, and drugs as alternatives to being an interesting person." Marilyn vos Savant

"I got sober. I stopped killing myself with alcohol. I began to think: 'Wait a minute - if I can stop doing this, what are the possibilities?' And slowly it dawned on me that it was maybe worth the risk." Craig Ferguson

"That's all drugs and alcohol do, they cut off your emotions in the end." Ringo Starr

"In Deprivation Mode, we think alcohol is a good thing that we are being deprived of. We are sad, and grieve the loss of what had felt like a friend to us. We consider it a treat that we never get to give ourselves again. We are envious of others who "get to drink."

"Alcohol is not a reward; it is a glass-by-glass demolition team designed to destroy us. In Gratitude Mode, we recognize that alcohol is (for us, because of our brain structure, genetics, physiology, etc.) a toxin, a poison, something that nearly destroyed us. Mentally, physically, and spiritually. We recognize that we have the most amazing opportunity to rid ourselves of something that makes us very sick in all those ways. We recognize the craziness of voluntarily damaging our brains, minds, bodies, families, jobs, futures. We are really, really grateful for that opportunity, and we guard it and cultivate it carefully.
        AF since July 15, 2010. :applouse:
        "People who drink to drown their sorrow should be told that sorrow knows how to swim." —Ann Landers

Comment

girly wirly's toolbox.

EXCELLENT posts Girly and Pride.....really insightful. Thank you both xx
          "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
          NF 12th May 2010

Comment

girly wirly's toolbox.

WOW Thanks Girly & Pride
            Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

girly wirly's toolbox.

GREAT job Girly! You are really on to something here. Keep referring to your post when the drinking thoughts come your way. Remember WHY you don't want to drink anymore. I know that when a craving hits, it's easy to justify having a drink (which then leads to 7, 8, 9..etc). Remember, nobody wakes up in the morning thinking "I wish I had drank last night!" I am thinking of you and wishing the best for you...please keep us posted on your progress! :l
              K9
              :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

girly wirly's toolbox.

thanks everyone, pride your post is fantastic. I'm glad you posted it on my thread so I can refer to it often xx
                The mind will intellectualize it, the heart will emotionalize it, yet the gut never lies.

Comment

girly wirly's toolbox.

Thanks girly that has inspired and helped me! xxoo
                  HOUR BY HOUR, DAY BY DAY

Comment

girly wirly's toolbox.

bump for myself

hey everyone xx

Comment

girly wirly's toolbox.

Wow - Girly ---- great to see you back!!! How have you been doing??
                      Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                      contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

girly wirly's toolbox.

:lawful molly. seriously drowning in drink again. i've been off work for the school holidays and drank the entire time! in need of real help again. life has been truly awful, one devastation after another these past few years and i've just been blotting it all out xx

how are you x x

Comment

girly wirly's toolbox.

girly wirly;1370187 wrote: :lawful molly. seriously drowning in drink again. i've been off work for the school holidays and drank the entire time! in need of real help again. life has been truly awful, one devastation after another these past few years and i've just been blotting it all out xx

how are you x x
                          Oh you poor love:l Look - you're here - simple as that, so you must be planning on getting your life in order - big big step, and I'm so sorry life has been awful - but as you know, the drink just makes it so much more awful!
                          I'm really good now, but like you I've had a fairly traumatic year - certainly since we 'spoke' last - feckin rehab an all - best thing I ever did however!!
                          Must away for a while, my daughters home from Canada and today's agenda apparently starts with my eyebrows
                          It really IS great to see you back - c'mon - we'll get you sorted - if my mess last December can be sorted - anyone's can:l
                          Molly
                          Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                          contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

girly wirly's toolbox.

thanks for the reply molly. just what i needed because i'm crying xx

Comment

girly wirly's toolbox.

Welcome back, girly,

Listen to Molls, she's a changed woman (in the nicest possible way).

There was a day I couldn't go 3 hours without a drink and I've just done 3 years, and if I can get from that terrible dark place. I'll bet you can.

Anyway just think of getting through today,hun. :l

You've made a huge step today by coming back and giving this bloody awful addiction another go.
                              It could be worse, I could be filing.
                              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Working...
                              X