WOOHOO! I got Antabuse!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOOHOO! I got Antabuse!!

God I am so happy, happy, happy! I got prescribed antabuse, which is what I was desperately hoping for as I really believe this will be My Way Out, along with therapy.

I am gonna start tomorrow. Doc has given me 7 days worth and if there is no bad reaction to it then I can get a regular prescription.

I forget who else is on antabuse but it'd be great to share experiences. I have one question already. I have 200mg tabs and on the first day I'm supposed to take four for an 800mg dose, then three the next day, then two etc.

I neglected to the doc whether the first 4 should be taken together or at regular intervals. Any clues?

Ta,
    Smiley K
    X
    Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

WOOHOO! I got Antabuse!!

Wonderful, Kimberley.
    I've never taken antabuse, but I have come running out of the doctors half listening to what he said and forgotton the dosage I was supposed to take.
    I sheepishly had to ring the surgery later that day to ask what the dosage was, or you could try the pharmacy.
    Best of luck with it Kimberley.
    J x
    :l
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

WOOHOO! I got Antabuse!!

Hi Kimbers, delighted you are happy gettin the Antabuse. I took it for a couple of weeks to get me over last Christmas - just ran up to the tub I keep beside the bed - just in case!! - to see the dose I took. My tabs were 400mg, and the dose I was to take was 2 tabs (800mg) first day to be taken together, 2nd day 1 1/2 tabs and 3rd day 1 tab (400mg), but all to be taken in one dose - don't know if yours is the same tho, prob best do as JC says and double check with doc or pharmacist.
      Molly
      Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
      contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

WOOHOO! I got Antabuse!!

Hi Kimberley.
        I was told to take the four at once, then three next day, etc.
        You seem pleased

Comment

WOOHOO! I got Antabuse!!

Great thanks guys - yes I am happy. Over the moon!

K x

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

WOOHOO! I got Antabuse!!

Kimberly - I am so happy for you!!! :l:l

The Antabuse is helping me so much!! I know I can't drink. Period. So, I don't. It really is helping me while I work on all my issues.

Let me know, if you have any questions. I've been taking it for about 2 weeks now. My Doctor didn't know how to prescribe it so I've just been taking 1/2 pill every other day. I see a Pysch doctor on the 29th and then will know more.
            xxoo
            "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
            AF - 7-27-15

Comment

WOOHOO! I got Antabuse!!

just popped my first one today...ordered over internet, so no real instructions....mine is for 250 mg.....guess I should more the first week???
              I love my family more than alcohol.:h
              Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

WOOHOO! I got Antabuse!!

Kimberely, congrats! Watch what you eat too. Alcohol is not the only thing that it reacts to (pickles and other foods were problematic for me). Good luck.

Tracy

?Our freedom can be measured by the number of things we can walk away from.?
                - Vernon Howard

Comment

WOOHOO! I got Antabuse!!

Thanks guys!

Nora, that's the same reason I am taking it too - to give me a chance to work on my 'stuff' without sabotaging myself!

Mama I was prescribed this: 800mg first day, then 600mg next, then 400mg finally settling down to 200mg daily.

Topsy, I am starting tomorrow and so tonight I am going to make a list of all the things to watch out for. It can be the most unexpected stuff for some people. I know people have mentioned soy sauce of all things can be a problem. Hope I don't have to give up pickles though

K x

Recovery Videos

Comment

WOOHOO! I got Antabuse!!

Well I took my first antabuse today. I left them until night-time as I have heard that they can make you very tired for the first couple of weeks. I intend to do this for a week or two and then take them in the morning after that as I think it would be better for me pscyhologically, set me up for the day.

Don't know if there are any side effects so far as it's early days. I do have a headache and feel a bit fuzzy, but I am getting over a sinus infection so it's probably due to that.

It's funny though how I have already had to alert myself to what I can and can't have. I had a therapy session today which was a bit hmmmm so I went to have a chai latte afterwards. Then as I was approaching the kiosk I suddenly realised there might well be vanilla essence in it, which is on the list of things I was given that stated what you should avoid. So I turned back as that would've been a great start! Guess you've got to be really vigilant until you know what you are likely to tolerate and what you won't. Any advice on that or anything else Antabuse related gladly received.

K x

Recovery Videos

Comment

WOOHOO! I got Antabuse!!

Congratulations Kimberley! I am so happy that you were given Antabuse. I have been taking it for over 6 months (although I did quit for a few weeks, and subsequently had a "slip"...be sure not to do that!) Whatever the directions on your bottle are, you take all the pills at one time. I am down to one pill every other day, just enough to keep it in my system. I think you will find it to be a huge relief just knowing you "can't" drink! There goes the inner-battle (which is half the fight). I'm so proud of you for going to your doctor and getting the prescription! I haven't had any reactions to anything so far...and I know that if I reacted to pickes, I would really have to reconsider the AB :H
                      Keep us posted on your progress!!! :h
                      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

WOOHOO! I got Antabuse!!

me neither...coast is clear so far........no tiredness either....I am tired all the time!!!
                        I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                        Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

WOOHOO! I got Antabuse!!

Hey all,

Been on this stuff several days now and it has already saved my arse from a 'decision-making' occasion. Only things side-effect-wise I have noticed are that I am getting quite tired and I have a really funny taste in my mouth. Sort of garlicky. I can live with it through the day but it does make my first cup of coffee in the morning taste horrible!

Anyone else get those side effects? Did they go away?

It is interesting as I am partly doing this so I can learn new coping skills - my only ones are walking and drinking lots of coffee - yes really, that's it, that's my arsenal. I have since learnt that I can also go on veeeerrrryyy long bus rides if necessary and that seems to help too. Any one else discover a new way of coping 'forced' upon them?
                          Thanks,
                          K x

Recovery Videos

Comment

WOOHOO! I got Antabuse!!

Morning Kimbers, Its a while since I took it but now that you say it I definitely had something going on with my mouth - don't think it was garlicky, think it was a dry taste? Can't comment on the tiredness cos when I took it I was on the heels of drinking like a mad thing for a couple of years so my body was an absolute disaster - couldn't isolate tiredness as such. I didn't stay on it for very long, just a couple of weeks to get me over last christmas so I'm prob not the best person to talk to.
                            It has taken me a while to get back to it, but one of my 'first loves' - reading, I now have the concentration to enjoy reading a good book, it is the best distraction in the world from everything out there, including booze.
                            Molly
                            Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                            contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

WOOHOO! I got Antabuse!!

Kimberley;979073 wrote: Hey all,

Been on this stuff several days now and it has already saved my arse from a 'decision-making' occasion. Only things side-effect-wise I have noticed are that I am getting quite tired and I have a really funny taste in my mouth. Sort of garlicky. I can live with it through the day but it does make my first cup of coffee in the morning taste horrible!

Anyone else get those side effects? Did they go away?

It is interesting as I am partly doing this so I can learn new coping skills - my only ones are walking and drinking lots of coffee - yes really, that's it, that's my arsenal. I have since learnt that I can also go on veeeerrrryyy long bus rides if necessary and that seems to help too. Any one else discover a new way of coping 'forced' upon them?
                              Thanks,
                              K x
                              Hi KImberley,

I took antabuse for a few months last year and I had that garlic taste in my mouth, and I think this is a common side effect. I was also told that my breath smelled like garlic. I think that I could smell it on my skin as well. It didnt bother me though, because the overall affect of taking away completley my choice of whether to drink or not drink, was more than worth it. I still keep a bottle in my medicine cupboard (highly visible) for emergencies and knowing that it is there to take if I have a craving too big to handle is very comforting. Also, I think I lost my taste for coffee for a while...but this was a good thing as coffee adrenalises me too much and adds to my anxiety.
                              I am a part of the family of humanity. Not one person on this earth is a stranger to me. Rev. Ted Noffs

Comment

Working...
                              X