X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Givin' up the Smokes!

I am on day 8.

My plan:

I promised myself, my child, and my HP I'd NEVER smoke again. That pretty much leaves me nowhere to hide!

I did the math. Every day I smoked 8 cigarettes. A pack of 20 is $5.60 which means they are 28 cents a piece, so basically I was spending $2.25 a day. I now have an envelope that I'm putting $2.25 in every day...whether I have it or not...because somehow I would have scraped it up for cigarettes. So far I have $18 that would have gone up in flames!!!

I washed all my bedding, and blankets. I never smoked inside, but sometimes I'd go out right before bed...and not bother brushing my teeth. Eww. And the smoke smell would hang on to my clothes and get in the bedding.

That's it for now...as my "Smoke Stash" increases I'm gonna buy myself something cool!

:heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Givin' up the Smokes!

K9, congrats! I so happy for you. I'm a slave to smokes. Heck, put enough away, and you could go on a cool trip somewhere (I must have gypsy blood, because I love going to new places).

Did you use patches or anything like that?

Tracy

?Our freedom can be measured by the number of things we can walk away from.?
    - Vernon Howard

Comment

Givin' up the Smokes!

Hi Tracy!
      I didn't use anything, other than keeping my "word" to my kid basically. I'd always go outside my bedroom door and my daughter one day said to me "I hate it when I hear your door opening, it makes me so angy because I know you are going outside to smoke!!" Wow, I felt about 1 inch tall when she said that. So basically I finished my pack (because I needed time to "think" about it) and then I made all my promises. The hardest part for me is mental, I've never really been physically addicted. So here I am on day 8, and I can already tell a difference in my breathing.

Comment

Givin' up the Smokes!

Ah good for you K9. I have never tried to give up the fags (and probably never will), but I know how tough people say it is. Are you doing it cold turkey or using patches, Zyban etc?

Most importantly, what are you planning to buy yourself as a treat with the Ash Money??
        K x
        Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Givin' up the Smokes!

So cool, K9. And you are probably past the worst addiction wise. Kudos!

Tracy

?Our freedom can be measured by the number of things we can walk away from.?
          - Vernon Howard

Comment

Givin' up the Smokes!

Hey K9.

Congratulation hon, that is fantastic!

Funny I should read this today and realise I quit exactly 5 months months ago today.

If I can do it ...ANYONE can.
            "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
            NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Givin' up the Smokes!

Hi Oney!
              Yes, I remember, I was going to quit at the same time you did....better late than never I guess. Congratulations on 5 Months...that is awesome!

Comment

Givin' up the Smokes!

You have quit now K and thats all that matters.....you are over the worst of it now and I bet you are beginning to feel better already.

I am so excited for you....FECKIN well done xx

AF 10th May 2010
                NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Givin' up the Smokes!

I used to smoke like a fiend - a pack a day was too expensive so I'd roll my own. 30 to 40 a day, easy. And I didn't go outside to smoke them. I remember the horror of being in Sweden when their smoking ban came into effect, huddling outside a hotel entrance, puffing away in a snow storm, thinking how many Swedish smokers are gonna die this winter?! Like Captain Oates - "I'm going outside and I may be some time! Hopefully I find bastard with a lighter before the pneumonia kicks in..."

I quit by mistake. (No kidding - I got dragged to a "quit smoking" seminar by my nonsmoker girlfriend and it, to my astonishment, it worked.) That was 2006, and I haven't had a puff since (well, there was a single spliff, once. An isolated incident.)

So if I can do it, and K9 can do it....

Ciggies are a lot easier to quit than booze. The trick is, don't try patches, they only keep you supplied with nicotine, which is the thing you're supposed to be quitting...

Comment

Givin' up the Smokes!

STP-
                    I love your story of how you quit by mistake!!! :H That's freakin' awesome!

Maybe I'll use my saved money to buy anti-wrinkle cream. LOL

Comment

Givin' up the Smokes!

Day 9! Hardest part of the day is over, my favorite smoke was the one first thing in the morning. Now I get up and immediately brush my teeth and the thought passes pretty quickly. The evening cravings are easier than I had anticipated too. If anyone else is trying to quit, feel free to join my thread, and let me know how it's going!!

K9

No more :schmokin:!

Comment

Givin' up the Smokes!

Whooohooo Day 9, thats fantastic K9. I did exactly the same as you by brushing my teeth....it was the first one of the day that I favoured too!

AF 10th May 2010
                        NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Givin' up the Smokes!

GOOD LUCK IT CAN BE DONE A 3DECK A DAY MAN ,i was, 30 YEARS AGO GYCO

Comment

Givin' up the Smokes!

Good girl, K9!
                            The good thing is, you've pretty much done it. I mean the hard part is the first 3/4 days... eventually, you'll forget you even smoked. It's always fun to find old photos of oneself looking - and smelling - like the Marboro Man.

Comment

Givin' up the Smokes!

Brushing teeth

Brushing my teeth works for drinking too. Hey wait - wonder if there is some miracle quit ingredient in TOOTHPASTE? Ha!

You should also add in to your ash money collection your breath freshener money as well - when I smoked I was never without a package of gum...

Congratulations on Day 8 - you're there!
                              Coco

Comment

Working...
                              X