YOUR FIRST TIME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YOUR FIRST TIME

NO, my evil friends, don't start! I've talked with a lot of people who have been afraid to come in, post, join, because we seem, maybe are, cliquish. So maybe it would be good to talk about the first time we found MWO, where we were, how we found it, where we landed.
    For me, I was at the end of my rope. My (adult) children were not speaking to me unless necessary. Hubs could barely work for fear of a phone call, or what he would find when he got home. I was so sad, so lonely, so depressed, I didn't know what to do. Then I began to see MWO, and the possibility of 'drinking normally'. Yes, that was my goal. Hell, I didn't know what normal was.
    I came, read, cruised, read, watched, lurked, read, and suddenly one day jumped into some crazy, long-forgotten thread, completely inappropriate, and told my life story. Some gentle soul gave me direction. (I remember who, but won't embarrass her).
    Later I stayed on the Army thread, nearly full time. I needed someone in my life each day. I only had my dogs, and they don't answer. They are wonderful, and I grew, and made the greatest friends.
    I moved on to 'The Journey Starts, which is where I am. I have learned there is no 'normal'. It's what each of us has in us, whether one drink is too much, ever. And that's OK. Because this place, and my beloved friends, and MWO, have saved me from Hell on Earth.
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

YOUR FIRST TIME

Thanks Ruby,

I first joined back in the dark ages, there were only about 600 members ... Popeye joined exactly the same day ..........

My family had hidden all of my bank cards, I was an out and out drunk!!! Drinking from morning till night, and even during the night if I woke up!!

I was here 3 years before I went AF, I went to my doctor and he gave me a prescription for a home detox and I have never looked back!!

I have been AF since August 2009, apart from drinking once in August this year ............

My long term goal is actually to be able to moderate but happy to be AF at the minute ....

I can't post everywhere because I am too busy, but check in on the Army thread most days ........

All the best to everyone, and it can be done!!!!!

Love & Hugs, BB xxxx
    sigpicXXX

Comment

YOUR FIRST TIME

Boop, you are a CHARM!!
      sigpic
      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

YOUR FIRST TIME

When I first came here (05/06?), I went full bore into the MWO program and spent a lot of time in the topa and moderator's threads. Then I moved to the abstainers thread. It was really fun, really wonderful people. I remember one night we all got together in chat and had a cyber dinner. We'd worked out the menu in advance, had a food fight - it was very silly and a lot of fun. I couldn't tolerate the topa though.

I think the meds forum is crazier now than it was then. The topa folk were slow and easy-going (still are, from what I read of that thread). The bac stuff makes people a bit kooky, but it's still all good. I adore Ruby and Nora and Sunny, and I really like so many people. RoadtoRecovery greeted me when I came back with a lovely PM that offered grounded, really wise advice. That has stuck with me. I sneak on during work just to read what people are doing. It helps me feel connected and helps distract me from thoughts of picking up booze after work. I love this place.

I'm only on Day 6, but feeling pretty decent. My goal is abstinence.

Tracy

?Our freedom can be measured by the number of things we can walk away from.?
        - Vernon Howard

Comment

YOUR FIRST TIME

The bac stuff makes people a bit kooky
          You want a fight about it?
          :nutso:

Comment

YOUR FIRST TIME

Thanks for this thread Ruby- I think hearing about how everyone started on here is helpful-And how being here has helped them better themselves.
            It's always YOUR choice!

Comment

YOUR FIRST TIME

I found MWO back in 2007 when I was going through a really rough time in a marriage that I desperately wanted out of. Instead of getting out I got drunk. I lurked and lurked and finally posted one day. Then I took the most scary step of all. I agonized about hitting the chat key but finally went into chat and met the most amazing people I have ever "met". I have only met one of those people in person but they saved me that night. They made me laugh and gave me courage that I never had before.Today I am happily divorced and praise God for the friends I made at MWO. If you are lurking and scared rest assured we all started out that way. Welcome and jump in. It may be the best thing you have ever done!!!

Comment

YOUR FIRST TIME

I found this great community after being 40 + days alcohol free & going for abstenence, i knew i would need a lot of help & support to continue this battle, i still need it & i am still here, delighted and very happy that i have found mywayout.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

YOUR FIRST TIME

I started searching online and luckily stumbled onto this wonderful site. I landed in the Newbies Nest and stayed there for over a year. That was my comfort zone. I also started just talking and rambling about my own journey on a separate thread.
                  Guess who the first person to write to me in my Nora's journey! Yes - it was this wonderful person Ruby Willow. :lI am now honored to say that she is my friend.
                  I am grateful for all the support and encouragement that I have received here. I hope that any newbies or lurkers will find the courage to just start posting. This is what this place is all about. :h
                  "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                  AF - 7-27-15

Comment

YOUR FIRST TIME

I found MYO with the help of a higher power - Google. I lurked for a long time while I was drinking, didn't have the courage to post. Finally put the drink down when I felt like I was in danger of losing my family, dipped my toe in the waters here and then just dove in.

One thing that might help newbies is to realize that people use these boards in different ways. I'm not a big chit chat guy so you won't usually see me posting just to say "hi". I get busy with my job and family and sometimes go a few days without checking in at all. I do try to read whenever I get a chance - especially Just Starting and Christian Support - and try to post whenever I feel like I have something to share.

For me, it was important to realize that it's not that there are cliques here, in that people ought to feel excluded, but rather that some people have made good friends here and use MYO as their virtual living room - and that's great. I may get there myself but right now I'm happy to have a place where I know there are people like me that are always there, just to check in and help when I can.
                    "I will restore to you the years that the locust has eaten"
                    AF since June 24, 2011

Comment

YOUR FIRST TIME

Welcome SO, and glad to see you use this place any way it works for you!! It's different for all of us, while we walk the same path!!
                      sigpic

Comment

YOUR FIRST TIME

What a great thread, Ruby.
                        I am a relative newbie myself but I know after almost two months that this is the place that is saving my life. I was scared witless about my drinking although I had gone from a really messy everyday drinker to moderate drinking maybe twice a week with a 'horror binge' maybe once or twice in a two month period. After one particularly nasty episode I stumbled (almost literally) across MWO. I knew this was the place I needed to be and have made some amazing new friends, many longterm AFers and many still in the early stages as am I.
                        I thought my success to become AF would come faster and easier, but I am by no means discouraged, because others have been or are still in that space. I know that I'm on the right path and MWO is exactly what I needed.
                        If anyone's lurking and reading this, I urge you to give it a try. I promise you will find the support and understanding you need.
                        :h Mish:h :h
                        PS Don't worry if you post on wrong threads to begin, everyone is so kind and loving and eager to help. I jumped in on the first day I found MWO and made heaps of mistakes before working out the system (still learning) but nobody made me feel foolish.
                        :h Mish :h
                        sigpic
                        Never give up...
                        GET UP!!!

AF since 25th November, 2011

What might have been is an abstraction
                        Remaining a perpetual possibility
                        Only in a world of speculation.
                        What might have been and what has been
                        Point to one end, which is always present. T.S. Eliot

Comment

YOUR FIRST TIME

Oh, MISH! YOU, foolish!? :H
                          sigpic

Comment

YOUR FIRST TIME

rubywillow;987869 wrote: Oh, MISH! YOU, foolish!? :H

Gaaah, paranoia
                            has set in. Is that a delightful compliment or 'sar-car-sm?' :H:H
                            sigpic
                            Never give up...
                            GET UP!!!

AF since 25th November, 2011

What might have been is an abstraction
                            Remaining a perpetual possibility
                            Only in a world of speculation.
                            What might have been and what has been
                            Point to one end, which is always present. T.S. Eliot

Comment

YOUR FIRST TIME

Mish, I ADORE you! You know we worry to much about what others think about us, and I'm NEVER cruel or hurtful, only my lame attempt at humor. I forget our skin is thin sometimes. :huggy
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X