Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new

hi everyone !

I am new in this site and trying to stop my drinking which I had started at the age of 16,Now am 38 years old.Drinking almost everyday whenever I get a bit of free time.I get drunk when I am in leave,all the day.. terrible.
    Anyway I am sober since 3 days.
    -with the withdrawal, I have no physical symptoms like shaky,sleeping disorder,sweating etc.
    - I have heard it may effect the brain if we stop completely so I have read out withdrawal symptoms and found none of themwith me for three days so is it harmful for brain if I give up completely?.Please share,
    Still I am thirsty by psychologically and think of having a couple of bottles .

Thanks for sharing.
    Dixon:new::thanks:
    A learned habit surely be unlearned !!

2012: Continuous AF for 7 months from May to Oct.

Big Relapses : 6th November and 12th December 2012.

2013 : So many ups and down !!

2014: Has a conviction to stay with a healthy life.

new

Hi Dixon:welcome: and you are in a great place.
    I have absolutely no medical knowledge - so if you are worried about yourself you should speak to a doctor. My guess would be that if you are sober three days and no withdrawals, you should be fine. The main risk with going 'cold turkey' is having seizures, which certainly after 3 days you should be ok.
    That is the hard part Dixon, but of course you are still dependent on alcohol, your body will crave it for quite a while, but the good news is that every day that goes by it gets easier and easier. If you feel you have a problem, then you have a problem - I know you are drinking a long time - I too started drinking in my teens, but you are only 38, you are young - reclaim your life, it will be the best thing you will ever do - I can guarantee you that. Looking forward to you posting on here
    Molly
    Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
    contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

new

Welcome, Dixon!! So glad you made the move and posted here. Actually, about 3 days we start to rationalize why we SHOULD drink. There's no good reason, really. We can always invent one, but if you're not having withdrawals, then, no, you don't need to taper down.
      AL plays tricks with us. Its been a big part of your life for more than half your life, so there's a hole there now, and filling it is the thing. Listen to your body. Drink lemon water till you're full. Keep yourself so busy/occupied/involved/full you don't want the AL. And keep posting here, often. Find people you like talking to join a thread, and stick to it. If you have a fall, come back anyway, and pick up your journey again, OK!!
      Ruby
      sigpic
      Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

new

Hi there. Normally the 3rd day is when I start justifying to myself that I need another drink as well, if I make it past the 3rd and 5th day, I'm doing really good. The only side effect is a dull headache, and that has passed, but no other symptoms from quitting cold turkey.

There are lots of places here to help you out, and lots of great people as well all in various stages of age and experience, so, jump in and I hope you find what you're looking for.

All the best,

Comment

new

Good morning dixon and welcome!

Congratulations on your 3 days! :goodjob:

I hear your commitment wavering and I'm wondering about your ultimate goal. Are you wanting to mod or absain? Even if you don't know, may I suggest 30 days AF (alcohol free) and during that time, help your body repair itself by lifestyle changes and supplements. It's a good idea to read the MWO book which you can dowload from the Helath Store at the top of any page. A plan is essential, so may I suggest 2 threads:

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...lan-41280.html
          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

Even if you have not experienced physical withdrawal discomfort, you haven't done your brain any favors with your alcohol consumption. I have never read anything about giving up completely being harmful to your brain. I'm sure it will thank you and you will recognize this as you feel it firing on all cylinders again.

Best to you on your journey! Always shout out for help if you think you might take a drink.
          sigpic
          Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

new

Hi dixon welcome to mwo,read as many posts and threads as you can and share your thoughts & feelings,you will get lots of good advice & support,give yourself a chance & hope you stick around.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
            I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Working...
            X