On A Mishn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On A Mishn

Mish - my dear, dear friend. I am so happy for you. I know that you have wanted this for so long. :l:l:l:l
    I'm sorry that you don't feel well. Just take it easy. Take care of yourself. :h:h
    "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

On A Mishn

Mishmash;1007510 wrote: Ugh! Day two and it's 20th November 2010. Ugh again. I feel most unwell, a bit like drinking as a young'un and feeling the room spinning and general nausea. Despite all this, I feel really great in myself.
      I read the entire thread "You know you're an alcoholic when..."
      I alternated between gasps of recognition, shudders of remembering hideous drunken episodes, shrieks of hysterical laughter and bouts of sobbing for the heartbreaking stories so courageously shared by these brave, funny, intelligent, creative and beautiful people, many of whom it is my honour to now call 'friends.'
      Interestingly, Mother called this afternoon and I told her I wasn't feeling well because I'm on a new medication. I hadn't meant to, but I found myself blurting everything out. About the Baclofen and why I'm taking it, about My Way Out and my beautiful friends here, about Meet Me At Dos Gatos and the love and acceptance I've found, about how determined I am to succed at all costs and (the child within) told her how much I want to make her proud of me. She said she is proud of me, especially recently. Maybe I was so ashamed and disappointed in myself that I projected my own feelings onto her and assumed she felt the same, but between the ADHD and not reaching my academic 'potential,' and the drinking, I always felt like a disappointment and a failure where she was concerned.
      I am so grateful to be on dexamphetamine so I can process what is real and what isn't. I am grateful that for the first time in over 30 years Mother and I are able to communicate on the same page. I am just so darned grateful that I lived long enough to reach this point in life where I can reflect on where I am and who I am with pride and confidence instead of shame and remorse.
      It is a wonder that I'm here to fully appreciate that instead of being a failure and a loser I am a survivor...and that my friends and medical professionals have told me that I have an uncommon strength and life ethic (that have carried me through circumstances that have taken the lives of many) and I am an "example" and "inspiring" and "special."
      I so want to prove them all right.
      I loved reading this. I think you are an amazing person, and you're special to me too. The meds SE will even out and I hope and pray that you have total success with it. I love your honesty and willingness to share your experiences with us. I'm also pround to call you friend. Love John xoxoxo
      Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

On A Mishn

My cup is

Nora's Nutty Noggin
        AF - 7-27-15

Comment

On A Mishn

ditto techie Mish!! You ARE a survivor!!
          I love my family more than alcohol.:h
          Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

On A Mishn

Mishmash;1006140 wrote: 18th November 2010
            YES
            I can't believe it. I really can't. I barely have the energy to write this after a truly full-on day (Boot Camp keeping me busy). This afternoon I attended the "Fresh Start Recovery Programme" Clinic of Dr George O'Neil. People might knock Perth as a sleepy backwater city, but it hosts a world leader in the treatment of addictions. Doctor O'Neil treats addicts with a once a year Naltrexone Implant (see earlier posts) and I've found a measure of success on this drug but still believe Baclofen is the drug for me personally.
            My appointment was for 14:00 hours (Sarge will appreciate my military precision) but I wasn't seen for two and a half hours. Worth every second.
            I came away with acceptance into the programme and a prescription for...
            BACLOFEN

I began this thread because I wanted Baclofen and now I have it, on Pension rates. All Underoos on Centrelink who are paying megabucks for online Bac, make an appointment with the Clinic, hop a jet, stay with Mish and get your Bac on script. Not only was I offered Bac, but the whole kit and kaboodle (Topa, Nal, Campral...even one I haven't heard of before), plus dental and 5 counselling, chiro, physio, free per annum...hurry and get 5 in before January this year. Then 5 more next year...
            I have strapped on my dancing shoes and am doing the "Dance of Joy."
            :bananacomputer::alf::banana::disco::dancin:
            MIsh,

I have only just read this......::lthis is bloody fantastic girl!!!!! I am so happy that you have all that help at your disposal. I will never complain about the Asutralian Health system again. Its not perfect, but after reading about so many other folk from all over the world have no show of getting meds like this without having to do it online is awesome. I will be checking in here everyday now to cheer you on and see how you are getting on. Love and grace, Saffxxxxxxx
            I am a part of the family of humanity. Not one person on this earth is a stranger to me. Rev. Ted Noffs

Comment

On A Mishn

Happy for you, Mish. Hope this works. Sobriety is the best thing that's ever happened for me and I hope this gives it to you!:l

Comment

On A Mishn

Thank you all. Your ongoing support means so much.
                Day 4 and I'm feeling much better this morning, but then I haven't taken my Bac yet. I have to drive into Subiaco (pronounced Soo-bee-ak-oh) to Fresh Start and I need my wits about me. It's nice not to feel sick. If only for a few hours.
                Yesterday I was just starting to feel a bit better just before it was time to take my next pill and I thought to myself "I am about to take this pill and deliberately make myself feel sick and disgusting on purpose," and it suddenly popped into my head that that is exactly what I did every time I went on a binge session. Only instead of picking up a pill, I picked up a bottle.
                Pretty stupid when I look at it that way, but it reinforces that if I don't go through this period of feeling ill, then I have a possible chance of failing and continuing to make myself feel ill with drink for a much longer period of time.
                Bit of a no brainer, really.
                :h Mish :h
                sigpic
                Never give up...
                GET UP!!!

AF since 25th November, 2011

What might have been is an abstraction
                Remaining a perpetual possibility
                Only in a world of speculation.
                What might have been and what has been
                Point to one end, which is always present. T.S. Eliot

Comment

On A Mishn

I have been determined to read this whole thread for days now, and I'm really glad I took the time.
                  'Inspiration' seems like a very apt word for you indeed Mish.

I get a great feeling fom reading your words. You've had a lot of personal challenges.
                  I think you're going to be one of the lucky ones, and that indeed it does make you stronger.

Bridge.
                  If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
                  Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

On A Mishn

Mish - thinking of you today. Take care friend and have a wonderful day (or evening ).
                    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

On A Mishn

Morning Mish,

Checking in to say hi and wish you a fantastic, joy filled day. Love and grace Saffxxx
                      I am a part of the family of humanity. Not one person on this earth is a stranger to me. Rev. Ted Noffs

Comment

On A Mishn

You know what I hate? I hate it when you type a really long post and then lose it just before you hit submit. I sometimes just write a short post in its place but this is too important to let go.
                        Day Six. Yesterday I took James, my friend, to Fresh Start Recovery Programme Clinic in Subiaco. I made a mistake - it was yesterday and not Monday, as I originally thought.
                        Anyway, James is in an advanced state of alcoholism. He has pancreatitis and is in a lot of pain. I've known James for three years and in that time he has been trying to get into rehab. It became urgent when he was diagnosed with pancreatitis over twelve months ago. He was referred to the Next Step rehab programme but they couldn't accept him until he was off Oxycontin. He was referred to the Pain Clinic at Fremantle Hospital to get him off Oxycontin. They wouldn't take him while he was drinking. Still desperate to get off Al but unable to find someone to help, he takes 3 Oxycontin, 10 Panadeine Forte and drinks 3 litres of wine a day to deal with the pain. His doctor won't prescribe a higher dose of Oxycontin in case James overdoses and it comes back on him. He has been shunted back and forward between these facilities for the last year and on Friday his doctor told him he would have to find another doctor as James was "too stressful." James was terrified. Without the Oxycontin he knew he wouldn't be able to cope and was all ready to top himself rather than go on living like that. I forgot to say that James is intelligent, funny and talented. He is writing a book in the three or four hours a day he gets pain free or at a manageable level.
                        On Thursday, after realising the value and potential of this programme, I made an appointment for him with Fresh Start. Yesterday, Doctor Fern put him on 20mg strong non-opiate pain patches and when they kick in and he is finished the Oxycontin, she will treat his alcoholism with Naltrexone tablets/implants and everything else it takes to get him sober. She is calling in Perth's top Hepatologist Professor Jeffrey to consult on his case.
                        I'm angry that this help has been available to James all along, but instead of being informed or becoming informed James' GP just stuck him in the "too hard/not important enough to bother with" basket and let him deteriorate to his present condition. James has lost over 10kgs and done who knows how much more damage to his pancreas/brain/body when this free programme was available to him all along. I am just so angry
                        ull:soapbox:nfire::headbanger:
                        Surely our doctors owe it to us to seek out the best available treatment for their patients, even if they are 'just a bunch of alkies.'
                        sigpic
                        Never give up...
                        GET UP!!!

Comment

On A Mishn

Day Eleven and I feel bad about not posting for the last few days but I didn't feel up to writing...not that anything particular was happening. In fact, quite the contrary. Nothing much at all was happening. I continue to feel a bit unwell and the general feeling of being 'drugged' confines me to home unless it's absolutely necessary to go out. Then I crush my baclofen and put it into juice to sip instead of taking it in a single dose so it stays in my system but doesn't knock me around so much. This was suggested by Doctor Fern at the Fresh Start Clinic, and a very good idea it has proved to be as I doubt I could have taken James to Fresh Start on Tuesday or done my bill paying/shopping/going out with Beagle on Friday night on the full dose in one go.
                          Meeting Beagle was wonderful. She is a beautiful, intelligent, funny and gentle soul and we really hit it off big time. We went into Fremantle and picked up some fruit at the market (mangoes, pawpaw and cherries), then had dinner at the Capri. I've only ever had lunch there before so it was unexpectedly noisy in the evening, but the food didn't disappoint, as always. Complimentary Minestrone and bread with our main course of Garlic Prawns (Beagle had the salad and I had the vegetables). It was interesting as it was our first restaurant meal since starting on Baclofen and we happily made our way through two bottles of water while observing everyone else drinking wine and beer. We neither of us felt the urge to leap up and rip the glass from anyones' hands and guzzle it down. Later on in the evening we were witness to a very drunk young African man with his trouser's waist below his buttocks (they were a fine pair of buttocks admittedly) and were able to reflect on the joys of not being plastered and embarrassing ourselves in like manner. We also spent some time in the spa which I had heated earlier but had needed to add more water as the level was a bit low. Unfortunately I overfilled it and had to empty some of the water into my garden, and this cooled the temperature by a good five to ten degrees. It was a lovely evening but the sea breeze (known as the Fremantle Doctor) was in and when we got out it was pretty chilly. The chill factor wasn't helped by the fact that I forgot to turn off the air conditioner, but once in our jammies it didn't take long to warm up. I bored poor Beags with videos of my daughters for a while and then we retired for the night.
                          In the morning, after a few cups of tea, Beagle headed off to finish her shopping and get back to the farm where six new 'slugs' or puppies born the day before waited for her. I hope this will be the first of many visits, as our senses of humour are remarkably in sync and, furthermore, so are our 'constitutions." I only wish I could upload the pics we took of our evening together. I wish we'd taken one of the African guy in his grey undies as well, but I think it may have been a bit risky. Not that we need a picture to remember it by...it is burned into the back of our brains forever.
                          Well, I've done a lot of sleeping in the past 24 hours. It's great. After years of poor sleep it's really nice to clock up some good sleep time. Hurrah for Baclofen.
                          Oh, and Beagle adores my weiro. I mean, who could not as she is completely enchanting, but loving my bird is a prerequisite to finding a home here with Mish.
                          sigpic
                          Never give up...
                          GET UP!!!

Comment

On A Mishn

Mish - I enjoyed your post. You're so lucky to meet another MWO person - sounds like you guys had a wonderful time.

So sorry about your friend who was given the runaround by his doctor. I have learned the hard way that one has to be extremely proactive in their own health care and not leave things to the doctor alone. Sorry statement I know. Hope he can now begin to get better.

Hugs,
                            Choochie:l

Comment

On A Mishn

Mishy
                              what a lovely post and I feel like I know Beagle
                              I have worried about her as she seems so sad and lost sometimes
                              I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                              Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

On A Mishn

Gday Mish,

Great entertaining post as usual. Iis wonderful that you and Beags have met and even moreso because you have hit it off so well. I share your pain re: James. I experienced much of the same thing with my son for over eight years. Even though I was extremely pro-active and worded up about treatment options, his illness etc. I still had to wage the battle of all battles for his life. So many people who dont have anyone strong enough to speak up for them, stand by them, slip through the cracks of 'the system' to end up God knows where. Thank God James has you Mish. YOu are a wonderful supportive friend to him and a I think you are a gem. LOve and grace Saffxxx

Comment

Working...
                                X