Promise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Promise

Time to really quit smoking. I went 11 days 2 weeks ago then gave in. My daughter started crying. She wrote me a note that said "Please let me throw them away, I hate those things! The $6 is already wasted anyway!" But of course being the addict that I am, I had to finish the pack.

Today is day 2. The Japanese symbol in my signature means "promise". I made wall hangings for my room and my daughter's room with the symbol. It is a reminder to her (and me) that I promise not to voluntarily inflict anymore damage upon myself.

Here's to a smoke-free day, and a day without tears.

:h
    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Promise

So wonderful, K-9. Do this for you. You want your daughter to be the beneficiary of years of your love, not your life insurance.
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Promise

K9 - I love the way you've gotten creative on your reminders - really clever to post these Japanese writings around where you can see them.

Also, wanted to mention - my parents smoked and I swore I never would -- but I did. So, even though your daughter protests now, if you don't stop, you may be setting her up for the same battle in her later years. Just a thought.

Best of luck - it is sooooo worth it. Really, I think it's more dangerous than AL! :schmokin:

Comment

Promise

I found the ciggies one of the hardest things to give up and finally opted for the gum and patches. They worked for me, but the reasons for giving up were so compelling that when the time came to peel off the patches and wad up the gum, those wave-like cravings were easier to ride. Accept strength from every source available and look to a healthy, clean future and a joyful daughter.
        With you in spirit, Girl.
        :h Mish :h
        sigpic
        Never give up...
        GET UP!!!

AF since 25th November, 2011

What might have been is an abstraction
        Remaining a perpetual possibility
        Only in a world of speculation.
        What might have been and what has been
        Point to one end, which is always present. T.S. Eliot

Comment

Promise

You are a very determined person K9. You will get there, I know you will. xxx
          Be strong-
          We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
          Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

Promise

For me the first 3 months or so of being nic free were WAY worse than the first 3 months of being AL free. For some reason, I no longer thing of smoking at all, but AL is sneakier in the long haul in my brain.

Anway ---- K9 you will be SO glad you are quit once you get past the hard part. GOOD FOR YOU!!!! I found a "Club" at www.quitnet.com that was very helpful for daily support.

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Promise

IfI can do it..ANYONE can do it....Honestly, Iwas the worst smoker in the world...TOTALLY addicted.

I love the fact I am not a slave to tobacco or the bottle any more. It is like a gift.
              "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
              NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Promise

I just read a news article on quitting, K9, which I think applies to a lot of us here (certainly to me!). People with anxiety disorders have an emotional dependence on smoking that makes it harder for them to quit, since it's more than just the physical addiction to the nicotine. Anti-anxiety medications and stress-relievers like meditation/self-hypnosis are more effective than nicotine patches, gum, or buspirone (NONE of these had an effect on smoking in people with panic disorder, social anxiety disorder, or generalized anxiety disorder, which is a pretty amazing outcome).

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/731320

All I know is it was MUCH harder for me to quit smoking than to quit drinking (so far), but smokers are treated like social pariahs/criminals around here, which makes it easier. Alcohol, on the other hand, is still worshipped and is everywhere, and harder to avoid.

If anxiety's an issue for you, try stress reduction v. nicotine gum--might make all the difference! Like DG, I can honestly say I NEVER think about smoking anymore, can't even stand the smell. You'll get there!

xoxo Pride
                AF since July 15, 2010. :applouse:
                "People who drink to drown their sorrow should be told that sorrow knows how to swim." —Ann Landers

Comment

Promise

Day 3

Thanks for all the support everyone. It's not TOO bad so far. I never smoked during the day. My favorite cigs were the first one in the morning, and then the first one after work, the rest I don't even really miss. I know the "reward" cigarette will be hard too, you know, the one you smoke after you've cleaned the house from top to bottom. So my answer to that is just not to clean. LOL
                  Anyway, so far so good on day 3. I think I'll feel better when I pass my previous marks, once I made it 18 days, and once I made it 11 days.
                  Happy Thursday everyone!

Comment

Promise

K9, I am on day 6. I have tried to quit several times in the past.

I have two daughters. One who is almost 17 and the other is 5. I am 38 years old. The last three months have been a real wake up call for me. My dad has been ill for almost 2 years - diagnosed initially with esophageal cancer. Well, it came back like wildfire in July. I have been watching what the effects of his smoking has done to him.

A couple of days after his being in the hospital, he had told me that his biggest wish for me was to quit the smoking. I went home completely frazzled and pondered over it for a day. (meanwhile smoking my face off). Well, something in his voice really got to me. The next morning I quit.

I know this is completely irrelevant to you... This has really scared the shit out of me. Finally.

I am determined more than ever to not ever pick up one smoke again. I really want to see my children grow up. I know that quitting is never a guarantee of not getting cancer, or any other smoking related illness for that matter; but I owe it to my children to be the healthiest mother I can be. Just as you want to for your daughter.

It goes along the same lines as drinking for me. I had to quit or die. I honestly believe, however, that the drinking would have killed me before my smoking though.

I love your signature about how you 'love your daughter more than alcohol'. I also love that you made a promise to her that you will quit smoking. I did the same with my little one days ago. She has always been a 'nag' though, even at the ripe old age of 5! LOL!

Stay strong. Stay quit!

Comment

Promise

Thank you for your post Accountable!
                      We are the same age. I am so glad that you have decided to quit too! Having our youngsters "nag" us really does seem to help doesn't it? I know personally if I hadn't made that promise to my daughter, I would probably still be smoking. I hate liars....so I will do anything to avoid being one!!

The thought of any type of lung, throat, esophagal, etc. cancer just scares me so much. ANY type of cancer is horrible, but to know that I brought it upon myself would be just too much for me to bear......

Let's do this together! :h

Comment

Promise

Yes, let's do this together! We can do it! xo

Comment

Promise

I am proud of both of you!!
                          I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                          Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Promise

4:00pm here and my thoughts drift towards smoking. Thoughts can't hurt me though.

Working until 7:00pm tonight and then church.

I'm on day 3 - the worst is over.

Comment

Promise

K9Lover;990889 wrote: Time to really quit smoking. I went 11 days 2 weeks ago then gave in. My daughter started crying. She wrote me a note that said "Please let me throw them away, I hate those things! The $6 is already wasted anyway!" But of course being the addict that I am, I had to finish the pack.

Today is day 2. The Japanese symbol in my signature means "promise". I made wall hangings for my room and my daughter's room with the symbol. It is a reminder to her (and me) that I promise not to voluntarily inflict anymore damage upon myself.

Here's to a smoke-free day, and a day without tears.

:h
                              Hi Sweetie...It's a tough habit to break. Try the Quitnet just Google. My friends were very happy with it...most of them are off the butts!!!
                              Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Working...
                              X