Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If they don't react normally to 'our stuff' how can we react normally to 'theirs'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If they don't react normally to 'our stuff' how can we react normally to 'theirs'?

Hi all,

I haven't written in a while so I thought I would correct that.

I was thinking... I am not sure how many of you are on medication for anxiety / depression and battling alcohol stuff at the same time. I know that I was - and continue to do so in some ways.

I have reduced the amount of medication I am taking big time (without going into specifics) but your usual suspects for those in the medication know. I have been able to cut down because I am not drinking the abhorrent amount of alcohol I was drinking before.

Anyway I was talking to a friend who is going through the same stuff as me, taking similar medication to me who has also battled with alcohol in the past. I figure for people like us it is just not in our genetic make up to be able to tolerate it.

I am aware that if a 'normal' person who reacts 'normally' to alcohol takes the medication that I take on a daily basis just to maintain - it's like a trip to them. Like a party drug kind of thing. They don't react normally to it - for them it's weird and it's a high (or a low) depending on the person but it certainly has a marked effect. but definitely not a normal one in my eyes. For me - drinking is kind of the same. I don't react normally to it. I used to love it, back in the day and use it as an escape. If I drink now it is definitely not a normal reaction (in their eyes) and to me also.

If's just not the same. Instead of going to that place where you escape your daemons and feel great, I feel horrible, I feel sick and have huge regrets about doing the next day. I then over analyse the hell out of it for a week or so. That is not a normal reaction to alcohol. I don't enjoy myself.

I spend so long, and work SO hard on trying to get my emotions right and balanced with the aid of medications / HARD work, study, you name it - if alcohol comes along it just totally screws it up. Honestly why mess with something (emotions) you put so much time into correcting. Alcohol for me is like a wrecking ball on my emotional 'house'.

I did have some alcohol a few nights ago for some stupid party that I didn't even want to go to. I learned a few things from it though. If I am uuhmming and ahhing about going to a party - that is not right. I should want to go or not. I didn't want to go yet I went because I felt I'd be letting the person down if I didn't - mistake 1, I had some drinks - mistake 2, although... it was a massive eye opener. It was an experience that I would not take back because I got to see the real side of a few people and I really didn't like that side. Needless to say I guess it's just another eduction point in my journey.

Compared to a year ago I have lost 30kg. Am in fantastic shape, my grades have gone from non existent to being asked by lecturers to tutor subjects and I have drive and ambition. That is largely due to ELIMINATING alcohol.

I used to drink every day... if you are drinking every day I think first work out why you are doing that and exactly what you are escaping from. Drinking only prolongs the inevitable.

Whatever it is you are running from - alcohol only screws with your life / brain. You will eventually have to deal with it. So the sooner, the better. Trust me - if I can do it, you can do it as well.

Feels nice to contribute instead of just trolling - will have to do so more often. Hope everyone is well!!
    "The pain of regret far exceeds the pain of discipline"

Kind of AF since 14/8/09

Fully AF since 16/4/11

It's been one hell of a ride.

hi there. welcome back.
    I have considered that in a way i am alergic to AL, my symptoms are intence cravings for more al, and all the drama that brings. i think of telling peeps im alergic, but i havent yet.
    AF since 10/26/2009

It will be five years sober 10/26/2014

Comment

Aust, what are you takiing (sorry, it's an inevitable question).

Glad to hear you are doing so well!

Tracy

?Our freedom can be measured by the number of things we can walk away from.?
      - Vernon Howard

Comment

Great post

Comment

luCKy;995104 wrote: Great post
          Ditto! Glad to hear you are doing so well and seeing the benefits of leaving AL behind. One of the hardest things for me to accept was that some people can drink safely, and I'm not one of them. Sounds like that has been a big key to your freedom too. BRAVO!! And congratulations on your academic and fitness accomplishments as well.

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Aust boy, spot on post hon!

Comment

Working...
            X