Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update

I've been thinking about this for some time and I thought I'd share.
    When I was drinking, everything in life was a problem. I felt bad about most things and never stopped to see how much I have. I'm healthy, have a job and a comfortable place to sleep and that's a lot more than many people have. I've learned the benefits of simplicity and not taking myself or the rest of the world too seriously. I've taken the pressure out of life and that has made me feel so much better about myself. Of course there are annoying things and some people try to get me wound up but I'm learning to let these things pass without reacting to them and they go away.
    I meditate daily, excercise and take the time to relax wind down and as a result I no longer feel the need to lose myself in a vodka bottle every night. I really enjoy going to bed sober and waking up the same way; a situation that I would have thought impossible a while ago. I'm still a bit down on myself but it's getting better all the time.
    I guess what I'm saying is that, for me, life is easier and more pleasant when I'm not drinking and I'm grateful that I found this out.
    Thanks for reading.

Update

Great post, Pops. Straightforward and to the point - like your good self!
    I'll do whatever it takes
    AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Update

Awww wonderful post!! I'm glad things are getting better for you!!

Comment

Update

Popeye - YOU THE MAN!!

I love reading your sober journey into your new life. What a wonderful thing you have given yourself!!
        Ruby
        sigpic
        Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
        awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Update

Thanks for the post Pops - I agree with you 100%
          It's time I put my big girl pants on. :grannypants: I hope they fit.

Comment

Update

Great Post Pops, I know exactly what you mean..I feel that way too and I do find that the more grateful I am, the happier I become too xxx
            "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
            NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Update

Just about hits the nail on the head, I reckon. Good for you Pops delighted to hear it.
              Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Update

Just a GREAT post Pops. The wonderful thing is it just keeps getting better. I want to hear about your future hikes w/ the accompanying pics please. Techie
                Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Update

Popeye - thank you for posting this piece - makes me believe in what I'm doing. Day 29 AF for me today (yea).

Comment

Update

Popeye;995013 wrote: I've been thinking about this for some time and I thought I'd share.
                    When I was drinking, everything in life was a problem. I felt bad about most things and never stopped to see how much I have. I'm healthy, have a job and a comfortable place to sleep and that's a lot more than many people have. I've learned the benefits of simplicity and not taking myself or the rest of the world too seriously. I've taken the pressure out of life and that has made me feel so much better about myself. Of course there are annoying things and some people try to get me wound up but I'm learning to let these things pass without reacting to them and they go away.
                    I meditate daily, excercise and take the time to relax wind down and as a result I no longer feel the need to lose myself in a vodka bottle every night. I really enjoy going to bed sober and waking up the same way; a situation that I would have thought impossible a while ago. I'm still a bit down on myself but it's getting better all the time.
                    I guess what I'm saying is that, for me, life is easier and more pleasant when I'm not drinking and I'm grateful that I found this out.
                    Thanks for reading.
                    Yep, i feel the same way Pop's. My life or my outlook has been stripped back to one of simplicity and appreciation. A very real thankfulness and appreciation of where i am, and how i am now. At work, we have a fortnightly semi-formal catch up with our boss, one to one, where it's about me, and how i'm feeling/any issues with the job, etc. My boss's first question is alway's...'So Greg, how are you'? My response is alway's the same. I throw my hand's up in the air, smile, look around me and say.....'Life is great thank's, i absolutely cannot complain'. I feel like that little piece of prose about the butterfly, I'm now free of the cocoon, and flying higher than many, such is my appreciation of my new found freedom.

You get me all inspired when you talk hiking too!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Update

Love to read this kind of post!

Comment

Update

Pops, you are right, not quite the same but I had a fallout at work today, 15 months ago I would have just cried, but today I stood my ground!!! My head was clear to think and it felt good ...........

Love ya Pops ... :l:h:l
                        sigpicXXX

Comment

Update

Pops great post! it's such an important part of recovery to keep reminding ourselves how much better our lives are now. Waking up sober and going to bed sober are still two of my favorite parts of my sobriety. I believe being an addict was an essential part of my life to get me to where I am and to wherever I am going and therefore I see it as a gift. Thank you for reminding me today as sometimes I forget......
                          "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                          AF - JAN 1st 2010
                          NF - May 1996

Comment

Update

thanks for that great post popeye

Comment

Update

Wonderful, Popeye! You have come a long way, baby! Thanks for sharing! xo

Comment

Working...
                              X