Making amends to those we have hurt???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I know this is not AA and I did not get sober with the help of AA, but yesterday I happened to stumble on the blog of a (girl who lived with me when she was 19 and I was drinking days. I knew of one drunken incident, but apparently there was another. The other incident was stupid, but less severe than the first one. Anway, I was kind of supposed to be responsible for her and instead I allowed those two incidents to happen and frightened and annoyed this poor girl. We are no longer in touch. Reading her blog, I feel so ashamed and guilty of the year she spent here and I was drinking. I feel bad, because she wanted to stay with us after the year (to be close to her bf), but one of the big reasons I wanted her gone was my embarrssment at the things I did. I was wondering if I should reach out and apologize to her for my drinking episodes. I know AA says to do this. I don't really want to, since we parted badly (not involving alcohol). I even to be honest feel my reaching out to her would be more for my benefit than hers. Right now I am so overwhelmed by guilt and embarrassment. To help me move on, I will admit what I did. One night, I went in her room with no clothes on and apparentlly messed with her tv. The other incident, I knocked on her door when she had a friend over and asked them to close the windows so I can turn on the AC then apparently talked them to death while they were trying to go back to bed. I don't remember either incident. This was during my days of mixing ambien and alcohol which was incredibly stupid. The naked incident is the worse thing I have ever done in my life. I hate that she will only know and remember me as a drunk. I have always been so super responsible in my life. I've stopped drinking and feel I am getting some of my self-respect back. Is it best to make amends or in this case let sleeping dogs lie? I have apologized to my husband.

XW, I don't know for sure what you should do. I think I remember, though, reading that you should make amends unless it would hurt the other person in any way. One suggestion I have.......there are a few people on the Weekly AA thread (link is on opening page of MWO). Doggygirl posts there often and would be a good person to ask because she's very involved in AA. I know that this is an AA step - but she would be a good person to send a PM to. She is very willing to help others and seems to me to always have good advice. Good luck.

Hugs,
    Choochie

Comment

The answer is in your heart. Do what it's telling you. All the best...John
      Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Working...
      X