sleep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sleep

anyone got any tips on sleeping ..i have tried horlicks..and hot chocalate..also magnesiem..is there anything i could buy to help or eat...i havent had any thing to drink for seven days and feel very argumentell....would it be ok if i had a light smoke...thanks

sleep

John when I quit drinking it took over 3 weeks for my sleep pattern to adjust but the good news is that I now sleep better than I ever did in my 30 years of drinking. I used nytol which you can buy over the counter in the UK....
    "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
    AF - JAN 1st 2010
    NF - May 1996

Comment

sleep

i had an awful time sleeping in my first week or 2 sober. i was taking loads of herbal stuff but i just couldnt switch off. the best thing i found was 'sominax'. its an anitihistamine available over the counter.. it worked for me but i was a bit dopey the next day (some may say that was normal). i agree with chill. i have had the best sleep ever in my extended sober periods. good luck.
      Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
      Keep passing the open windows

Comment

sleep

Hi John, I have been a rubbish sleeper all my life. When I gave up the booze it got even worse. I tried all the usual 'remedies' and even resorted to sleeping tablets. However, very recently I tried Valerian - it didn't work straight off but after about 2 weeks I can't keep my eyes open at night - I'm not sure if that's what it is but certainly seems to be. Maybe give it a try?
        Molly
        Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
        contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

sleep

I use Melatonin when I need it. I take 1mg. It's a very inexpensive, over-the-counter supplement. It works great.
          :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

sleep

Use Melatonin! It is natural and it works GREAT

Comment

sleep

Don't know if you can get Melatonin over the counter in UK, I don't think we can in Ireland
              Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
              contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

sleep

Yes, Melatonin has been a life saver for me for a couple of years. I inherited bad sleeping genes.

You can buy them here, in Canada on the shelves either at 3mg or 5mg tablets. I use the 5mg tablet. Within an hour I am out and sleep right on through.

I am not sure if you can buy them in the UK over the counter or not. It wasn't long ago that my Nana would smuggle them into Canada from the US to give to my mom. (prob about 10 years ago). So they are fairly new in regards to availability here.

I love them.

Benadryl works as well. It is an antihistamine tablet. It makes you drowsy. I have never used it for sleep but my Nana informed me she has started to use them.

Comment

sleep

Here (USA) they sell them in 1mg, 3mg, 5mg or 10mg.... I would start with the 3 or 5mg if that's the lowest you can get...because they DO work.
                  :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

sleep

Hi John, I use a few things. As far as supplements, I take vitamin D, and Omega fish oil pills. These are inexpensive, and available at any farmacy. These have really helped me with my sleep quality. In addition, finding the time to exercise in the day, makes sleep come easier in the night. Of course avoid caffeine after lunch time for sure. All the best,
                    Hill
                    Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

sleep

thank you

hillsidetime;999841 wrote: Hi John, I use a few things. As far as supplements, I take vitamin D, and Omega fish oil pills. These are inexpensive, and available at any farmacy. These have really helped me with my sleep quality. In addition, finding the time to exercise in the day, makes sleep come easier in the night. Of course avoid caffeine after lunch time for sure. All the best,
                      Hill
                      thank you

Comment

sleep

thanks

Chillgirl;999594 wrote: John when I quit drinking it took over 3 weeks for my sleep pattern to adjust but the good news is that I now sleep better than I ever did in my 30 years of drinking. I used nytol which you can buy over the counter in the UK....
                        thank you

Comment

sleep

Chillgirl;999594 wrote: John when I quit drinking it took over 3 weeks for my sleep pattern to adjust but the good news is that I now sleep better than I ever did in my 30 years of drinking. I used nytol which you can buy over the counter in the UK....
                          thank you

Comment

sleep

t

spuddleduck;999598 wrote: i had an awful time sleeping in my first week or 2 sober. i was taking loads of herbal stuff but i just couldnt switch off. the best thing i found was 'sominax'. its an anitihistamine available over the counter.. it worked for me but i was a bit dopey the next day (some may say that was normal). i agree with chill. i have had the best sleep ever in my extended sober periods. good luck.
                            thanks

Comment

sleep

mollyka;999606 wrote: Hi John, I have been a rubbish sleeper all my life. When I gave up the booze it got even worse. I tried all the usual 'remedies' and even resorted to sleeping tablets. However, very recently I tried Valerian - it didn't work straight off but after about 2 weeks I can't keep my eyes open at night - I'm not sure if that's what it is but certainly seems to be. Maybe give it a try?
                              Molly
                              thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X